Mic stand acoustic treatment

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Am planning on buying the Aston Origin mic for recording my own vocals (baryton, not the biggest voice).

Noticed the cool Halo mic-stand booth thingy. I am sure it's awesome, but it is certainly not inexpensive for a home studio setup.

So I looked further and looked at Thomann to get the whole picture:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/misc_acoustic ... ce-first=0

What I would prefer is probably the last ones in the list, that is the entire Aston kit. I just moved to the UK and have none of these things anymore (mic stand, mic, pop shield, booth, treatment, or even an audio interface). I saw at the PMT stores that they now have a 15% discount on anything Aston for holders of a student card (which I have).

Obviously I plan to spend some cash on this, but it's just for home recording - and only vocals - after all.

By the way, why should a pop filter be needed for a Origin mic? It should have a built in filter?

I'd love to hear some input on this!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Hi,
I do not have much experience with the Aston Origin but I own their Spirit and also their Stealth mics. I also previously used the SE Electronics Pro reflection filter, I own their top of the line Space model and I also have the Aston Halo.
1. The Aston Halo is much bigger than the SE Electronics Space or Pro reflection filters + it's sort of curved around the mic. I don't know whether it's purely because of the size difference or because of the shape or the material/construction choices but for me (in my treated room with my mics) I get better results with the Halo, in my opinion it's worth the price difference.
2. I would suggest try in a shop both the Origin and also the Spirit (which is way more versatile which perhaps doesn't matter for you now, but perhaps it will in 6 month). You can get the Spirit used on ebay for the same price as a new Origin.
3. The built in pop filter is a great idea but in reality it's not a replacement for a real pop filter. Their marketing is that: " The random weave allows sound to pass while drastically eliminating unwanted plosives at source". I'm not saying it's useless on my Spirit, some of my other mics are way more plosive but still, you do need a pop filter.
4. I bought my Aston Spirit in bundle and it came with their SwiftShield. As I already own some pop filters I thought I will never ever use a steel pop filter but for my surprise it does a great job.
5. I bought my bundle from musicmatter.co.uk, at the time they had the best price for the bundle, worth checking.

ozonepaul wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:49 pm Hi,
I do not have much experience with the Aston Origin but I own their Spirit and also their Stealth mics. I also previously used the SE Electronics Pro reflection filter, I own their top of the line Space model and I also have the Aston Halo.
1. The Aston Halo is much bigger than the SE Electronics Space or Pro reflection filters + it's sort of curved around the mic. I don't know whether it's purely because of the size difference or because of the shape or the material/construction choices but for me (in my treated room with my mics) I get better results with the Halo, in my opinion it's worth the price difference.
2. I would suggest try in a shop both the Origin and also the Spirit (which is way more versatile which perhaps doesn't matter for you now, but perhaps it will in 6 month). You can get the Spirit used on ebay for the same price as a new Origin.
3. The built in pop filter is a great idea but in reality it's not a replacement for a real pop filter. Their marketing is that: " The random weave allows sound to pass while drastically eliminating unwanted plosives at source". I'm not saying it's useless on my Spirit, some of my other mics are way more plosive but still, you do need a pop filter.
4. I bought my Aston Spirit in bundle and it came with their SwiftShield. As I already own some pop filters I thought I will never ever use a steel pop filter but for my surprise it does a great job.
5. I bought my bundle from musicmatter.co.uk, at the time they had the best price for the bundle, worth checking.
Wow, thanks for sharing all your insights! If I were a billionaire, I'd hire you as my personal shopper. :D
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm ...If I were a billionaire, I'd hire you as my personal shopper. :D
Thanks, but no thanks :) :hug:

ozonepaul wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:45 pm
SparkySpark wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm ...If I were a billionaire, I'd hire you as my personal shopper. :D
Thanks, but no thanks :) :hug:
:D
Go MuLab!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”