AMD Ryzen 3rd gen. ZEN 2 processors for audio PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks ..... It's been about 10 years since I built the computer , I'm thinking time to build a new one and new audio interface as well , I seen Ezdrummer2
postrock ezx eatingg 30% of my CPU today using Studio One 4 lolz so it's not all the echo audiofire4 fault . ... I think the newer software is getting more demanding of RAM and CPU . Maybe I'll make a Linux DAW out of the old computer or just disassemble and sell the parts ?

ozonepaul wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:31 am
Kaine wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:19 pm ... More interesting to the wider audience is the memory speed retesting I've done the last few days, interesting results indeed.
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07/30 ... an-impact/
Thanks a lot for this article about memory testing with the new Ryzen 3rd gen.. I'm very curious about the next part of your "investigation", the full retest you mention at the end of this article. Thanks again, I've learnt so much from your articles and your forum contributions (+ I'm a happy user of one of your Scan 3XS intel i7-6800K builds). :hug:
Any news on this full retest?
Thanks

Well I'm fixing to order my stuff .... I'm trying to figure out whether to go with the 1tb m.2 drive an AmD rx570 .with either the 1. AMD 3600 and 16gb ram or 2. AMD 3700x and 32 GB ram ? My rig is an i7920 6gb ram at the moment ... I just wonder if the 3700x and 32 GB ram is overkill ?

32Gb of RAM was under-kill for me. I wish I'd got 64Gb. But then, I use several dozen drum kits... Given I also didn't realise that my Kontakt libraries use so much CPU, I also wish I'd gone for a higher spec there, too. Hindsight is painful.

The 3600 is pretty beefy. Around the speed of an i7 8700... maybe more in some cases. But if you can swing a 3700x then by all means. Definitely get 32GB.

Btw if you're in the USA, there should be big sales now through 'Cyber' Monday in three weeks. This is the time of year to buy. I already saw a deal on processors and a couple 32GB memory sets today on slickdeals.

Make sure you get a nice set of DDR4 3200. B-die or E-die work great. I'm using an E-die set of 32GB (Ballistix LT) with my 3600. Working smooth for the past 3 months now...

My plan was (is?) to just 'skimp' with getting the 3600 an spend the difference (+ more) on a higher tier 4th gen processor late next year. But the 3600 works so well that I don't foresee that happening now... at least not next year.

Yeah I guess I'm thinking 3700x and 32 GB ram then ...

fedexnman wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:54 pm Yeah I guess I'm thinking 3700x and 32 GB ram then ...
https://slickdeals.net/f/13535680-amd-r ... 00x-309-99

If you buy AMD, you might as well get the best one (3900X?), which is still cheaper than the corresponding Intel and even comes with a good fan. The price difference to the 3700X would be thinly spread across the 5 years you will have the computer.

AMD announced the other day that 3950x will be released on the 25th of November.
It seems it will top both the new Intel Core i9-10980XE and Core i9-9980XE.

Also the new Threadripper 3000 series will be released, with 24 and 32 cores, but haven't seen any benchmarks for audio or something that can be compared with audio usage.

Last week I installed 3900X, as it has highest single-core performance. Let's face it, even largest music project can't utilize all 12 cores :hihi: Saves some minutes when rendering projects, tho.

I put it into Asus B350 board, which wasn't said to support Ryzen 3000 generation and similarly, the processor itself expected at least 400 series board. Nonetheless, it all worked.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:56 amNonetheless, it all worked.
Maybe it would have gone even faster, though?!

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:56 am Let's face it, even largest music project can't utilize all 12 cores
Why not?

buzz1 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:57 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:56 am Let's face it, even largest music project can't utilize all 12 cores
Why not?
Exactly. Most are multi-thread capable now and FLin particular will use "as many cores as your CPU has"

...but not at 100% load. That's the nature of audio project - longest audio path is the bottleneck for the busiest core, while other cores have nothing left to do.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:48 am ...but not at 100% load. That's the nature of audio project - longest audio path is the bottleneck for the busiest core, while other cores have nothing left to do.
Fair point but nowadays doesn't that only happen if you have huge plug in overhead on a specific track? So nothing to do with track numbers as such.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”