Fragile Gods - "This Blue World"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's a lot to like about this.
The chorus is really good, very nice bridge, and a top class acapella ending.
Nice to hear some major chords in there too! Aika very good as usual.
Lyrics, mix & arrangement great.
Things I didn't like so much: the verse melody I wasn't too keen on. The last line of the verse saved it ramping into the chorus.
Katie J, I think sounds more like a Country singer. She was pretty good, but would have liked to have more of an edgy vocalist.
Overall, great job though. :tu:

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:22 pm Excellent, and a bit different too. When I was listening to it (with my arrangement head on... :scared: ) I was thinking, hmmm, would be nice to have a bit with just vocals on their own...and lo and behold... :love:
Yes, I like to showcase the vocalist with a solo spot (as long as the vocalist isn't me). :)

Thanks for your comments DT.

experimental.crow wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:28 pm very well done ...
clinically crisp and pared of extraneous bits ...
everything fits cleanly , and flows ...
loved the outro ...
Thanks, I am very pleased to read that feedback. :)

BTW, in response to some of the other comments, I will be doing another mix soon where I try to better balance the levels of the drum machine and acoustic drum sounds.

I've had another listen tonight, and I think the drums sound better today. I'll check it out again tomorrow.

sjm wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:55 am Great production, catchy chorus. It's very good!

I have 2 minor criticisms:

Not a fan of the glitchy fills in the intro and towards the end. To me, they break up the build up, with the underlying beat being so straight. Seems at odds with the song. Also seem loud.

I miss your voice. Surely it'd work with you joining in the first four lines of the chorus, and spotify be damned? I like the vocals you have of course.
I did try to make the drums a bit more varied than usual. I may not have been entirely successful. Today I posted a new mix where the levels of the electronic vs acoustic drums are hopefully better balanced.

I'll be back on vocal leads for the next song. This was conceived as more of a pop song which required better singing than I am capable of. :help:

Thanks for your feedback sjm!

enroe wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:30 pm Wooaaa! I enjoyed this catchy and dulcet song. It is beautifully straight
with the very commemorating chorus line "this world is here for you and me",
it is a "real" hitpopsong! The ending is somewhat particular. :tu:

What I would change: Kick and snare are a bit up front, so I would
reduce their volume or their transients by 1 - 1.5 dB. But that is just
my taste. :wink:
Yes, this my attempt at a pop song. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

It is interesting that my wife also likes the same line that you highlighted. Maybe it is a hook?

I did reduce the electronic drums in volume quite a bit. Hopefully they are better now.

Next I will try to complete the video....

Pleasant pop music. I liked the melody and rhythm. Sounds nice.

Frantz,
Nice video to go with a nice song. I went up in a hot air balloon once: it was pretty cool, though sometimes the flame became uncomfortably hot since I am tall (I am 6'-3"), and I was fairly close to that flame. Could you elaborate a bit how this video was created? Is this stock video footage that was pieced together, or how did it come about? Or you paid someone to put it together?
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:07 pm Nice video to go with a nice song. I went up in a hot air balloon once: it was pretty cool, though sometimes the flame became uncomfortably hot since I am tall (I am 6'-3"), and I was fairly close to that flame. Could you elaborate a bit how this video was created? Is this stock video footage that was pieced together, or how did it come about? Or you paid someone to put it together?
Thanks for watching Aaron. I am too cowardly to ride in a hot air balloon although it does look fun.

I made the video myself from stock footage from Videoblocks.com. They have a very reasonable monthly plan where you can download as much footage as you want in a month for $39.

I did the video editing on Linux in kdenlive. The program is a lot more enjoyable to use these days since it no longer crashes every 5 minutes. :)

Since kdenlive is free software, the total budget for this video was $39.
https://youtu.be/gytIMnG_BlY

Frantz,
That is pretty cool, and pretty reasonable cost wise. Though I admit I'd probably be too cheap to do that. Maybe someday though I will.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Frantz wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 pm Since kdenlive is free software, the total budget for this video was $39.
https://youtu.be/gytIMnG_BlY
Haha, :) ...

... no matter what budget or how extensive the effort was, in the
end only the result counts! "Could you visualize your imaginations with
this song by this video?" - that is the question. On this point I always
fight with myself.

Your video "This Blue World" emphasizes the chorus line "this world is here
for you and me". In particular I like the pictures taken from space showing the
earth as a blue ball. Yes "this world is for you and me" - and also it
is vulnerable and small ... so we have to take care of our blue planet!
The astronaut in the end-scene exhibits the diminutiveness of mankind - and it
shows the hostility of space to life. These pictures enhance the status of
"this world" even further.

All in all: The song is floating nicely - the drums now fit well - and the Video
supports the lyrics - as far as I can say. Super Video! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:41 pm Very catchy. Nice hooky chorus. Great mix and excellent vocals ... Good job Frantz.
Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the listen and comments. :)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:58 pm Can't fault the production, arrangement, or the performances; and there are parts that I do really like. Unfortunately, the cheesiness of the verses (Chords, melody and lyrics) grates just a little too much, for me.

That's not to say it's bad. I can imagine exactly what you were going for, and think you achieved it. It's just me. Maybe I'd change my opinion over repeated hearings.

Great job, though :tu:
Pop is often served with a nice helping of cheese and I guess this song is no exception. :clown:

I do appreciate that you took the time to post your detailed thoughts on this -- both the positives and negatives. :tu:

fastlanephil wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:35 pm A well done pop song. The lead singer reminds me a little of Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac. It definitely feels mostly like 80s post punk to me at least.

I wonder if this song could cross over to the Country genre with a different arrangement.
The lead vocalist is based in Nashville so I assume she could sing Country. However, doing a Country arrangement would put me very far out of my comfort zone.

Thanks for your comments Phil. :)

Vortifex wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:15 pm I felt the harder electronic drums at the intro (with that loud offbeat hihat) and later in the song seemed out of place with the more acoustic poppier feeling of the majority of the track. The main song style reminded me of something I'd hear from a girl band like Girls Aloud, poppy and commercial (not a criticism btw). Her voice is good.
I rebalanced the drums levels in the new mix. Hopefully it sounds better now.

I just checked out Girls Aloud on Spotify. Yes, I guess it sounds like some of their material -- retro electropop with female vox.

Thanks for your comments. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”