Favourite discontinued DAW(s) - the things you wish that didn't die

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8 energyXT Logic Pro MuLab App Muzys Orion Project 5 Temper

dellboy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:47 pm
dermichl wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm
and on top of that he went cross plattform. he bit off more than he could ever chew...
and on top of that he hired some dubious ceo - anyone remember this wulf of wallstreet like jerky pictures?
and i‘m pretty shure he couldn‘t handle gazzilions of support requests due to his Behringer deal.
what a pity!
Triple platform was silly considering he was still learning to program in C after dumping Delphi.

And I seem to remember he had at least two employees to look after,and a posh office to pay for.

He would have been better off staying in his bedroom coding, or kitchen, or sauna. Maybe hes been beavering away all this time and he will suddenly spring a 64 bit DAW or something.
FL Studio is made in Delphi I think. He should have stuck to what he knows and continued to improve what was surely a good thing.

Something similar happened to Tracktion, it was sold to Mackie and many poor business decisions were made that drove away its users. It was eventually bought back by the original owner but it never regained its popularity.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I'm about to get back to music production after a prolonged pause. I recently updated to the final version of Orion (those that owned it before it was discontinued can still upgrade). I wouldn't even be looking for an alternative if it could handle VST2 and 3. I saw on another site that Rich is open to someone taking over development of it. Who knows if it'll happen after all this time, but I can wish.

v1o wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm
mmelon wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:06 am i have used lots of the software mentioned here. I started on music-x and bars and pipes. then i played with IT2 for a bit. Got into soundfonts and massiva. I bought and still own mboom. Muzys is my favourite and i will probably use it for as long as it still loads, and then virtualise it when it doesn't.
I had CMuzys from a Computer Music cover disc. I learnt production following the tutorials they had in their magazine. I never understood why they just suddenly abandoned their sequencer like that. In any case Computer Music don’t have a DAW anymore for their readership. It was fun when all their tutorials focused mainly on one DAW.
The creator of muzys 'Jo Langie' is now releasing mulab
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I wish that Energy XT 1 didn't die and got properly updated, :(
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:35 pm
v1o wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm
mmelon wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:06 am i have used lots of the software mentioned here. I started on music-x and bars and pipes. then i played with IT2 for a bit. Got into soundfonts and massiva. I bought and still own mboom. Muzys is my favourite and i will probably use it for as long as it still loads, and then virtualise it when it doesn't.
I had CMuzys from a Computer Music cover disc. I learnt production following the tutorials they had in their magazine. I never understood why they just suddenly abandoned their sequencer like that. In any case Computer Music don’t have a DAW anymore for their readership. It was fun when all their tutorials focused mainly on one DAW.
The creator of muzys 'Jo Langie' is now releasing mulab
(Yes, as in it's now MuLab 8, which is found in the MUTOOLS forum on KVR.)
If you actually are looking for a "fun" DAW, then MuLab may be worth looking into (it's my favourite DAW). It's got a very fast workflow, and lets you focus on your music rather than a bunch of settings, so your inspiration won't be hindered. It's also fully modular, so you can do pretty much whatever (like in Energy XT 1). The icing on the cake is the ability to create your own instruments and effects (or import them from other users)!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

DuX wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 pm I wish that Energy XT 1 didn't die and got properly updated, :(
See above post for a solution. :wink:

(Actually I was a die-hard eXT user, before switching to MuLab.)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

If someone can take over
Orion, Temper and energyXT
then merge them
That would be great.

v1o wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:42 pm
Coxy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:00 pm
v1o wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm Dreamer Virtual Studio by Ultrano. Never forgotten.

That looks like reason. Must be a clone, or did it come first?
Reason came first.

There were a lot of Reason clones back then including Cakewalk Project 5 and Arturia Storm Studio.
Project 5 had no resemblance whatsoever with Reason.

Cubase. The one with the black lettering instead of white.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

JoseC. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:09 pm
v1o wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:42 pm
Coxy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:00 pm
v1o wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm Dreamer Virtual Studio by Ultrano. Never forgotten.

That looks like reason. Must be a clone, or did it come first?
Reason came first.

There were a lot of Reason clones back then including Cakewalk Project 5 and Arturia Storm Studio.
Project 5 had no resemblance whatsoever with Reason.
Lol
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

christianmusicmaker wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:42 pm Project 5

Logic 5.5

Temper (Was curious about development direction)
Logic 5.5 on pc was amazing. The screen changes were instant. Now logic redraws everything from scratch with every screen change.

I was looking at the Synapse forum, and Rich posted, saying that he's willing to transfer code, but that not everything is transferable. He gave an example as a license for VST2, which he said you can't obtain anymore. Just putting this out there in case somebody knows somebody who might be interested in pursuing this.

have any big daws actually gone under without being re bought ? orion is perhaps the biggest i dont see why these things aint made public ware if the companys have no use in updating

howtobecalm79 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:01 pm have any big daws actually gone under without being re bought ? orion is perhaps the biggest i dont see why these things aint made public ware if the companys have no use in updating
Between the [potentially considerable amounts of] licensed code they’d probably have to strip out (requiring to pay an employee to do this), and the notion that hoarding IP makes a company more valuable (in case of buyout, and higher share prices when public), most corporations would prefer customers forgot the company ever made something, rather than open source it and risk someone else making something of value out of their IP when the corporate lords failed to do so (to their shareholders’ satisfaction).

But I’m just spitballing here... 😅
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

my favorite DAW was project5, really miss that
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”