ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

Ksamphos wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:39 pm Once we are all excited about nexus, lets me ask for those that have It:
In what is it really good? For what is it used most and whats are its specialities?
It is packed with tons of high quality sounds. Most are very inspirational to create something with. I find myself using it for pads/strings/plucks/leads/bass - Very easy to dial in a sound that works with the song you're creating. To me, it's easy to find bread and butter sounds that just work well in a mix. But there are definitively specialty "signature" sounds as well. Such as tiesto, etc.

I've listened to some of my older tracks wondering - "damn, that pluck/lead sound is amazing, what did I use?" - It turns out it was Nexus. :) Been very happy since using Nexus.

there is an update with some numbers:
$49/49€ upgrade price for NEXUS2 owners who purchased on May 1st 2019 or later
$99/99€ upgrade price for NEXUS2 owners who purchased before May 1st 2019

I hope the new price is below 250 USD. I hate to complain so much about pricing, but this thing is an expandable rompler -- inital cost should be priced lower as one will be buying pricey expansions after getting onboard.

But the issue is first getting on board. No way I'm spending 250 dollars.. or even 200 dollars then turning around and spending another 90 to 180 dollars on a few expansions. Which likely won't end at just buying a few expansions over time... It ends up getting rather expensive long term, so the upfront cost should be lower in my opinion.

I rather wonder which of the "old" expansions get discontinued and can then be bought for Nexus3 again, maybe with a slightly different name. Anyways any chance of changing the copy protection like you did with Avenger?

I'm praying they made it multi-timbral, I love nexus just wish I could layer sounds with ease and save patches as multis 🙏🏽and definitely a better browser
Last edited by trusampler on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Nexus 2 has 1 serious floor (IMO), if you want to start layering waves from different instances, kiss your phase relationship good bye. Unless at a bpm of 60, 120, 180, it's impossible. The rounding of the triggering means every now and then a note will be a few ms behind/ahead. It took me years to realise what this was, what I was hearing, why my sound kept randomly changing in ways I didn't want, like. So much stress. It should have been obvious really. It's OK if used as intended, for the preconstructed presets, the unintended swing adds a humanising effect or if you want a varying tone to the same note, like for pitch bass styles, only it's the position in time that's shifting, instead of randomising the start point within a sample/wave, turning retrigger off.

A small few (3 of us according to devs) are the only ones to ever mention it so a non issue. Non of the countless professionals who've released with it have the problem (although it is there). I hope since our last conversation he's changed his mind. Apparently it would take to much CPU power but some of us have amazing PC's, for those that do, it should be a choice. Sample accuracy mode!!!
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

msvs wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:06 pm there is an update with some numbers:
:clap:

mitchiemasha wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am Nexus 2 has 1 serious floor (IMO), if you want to start layering waves from different instances, kiss your phase relationship good bye. Unless at a bpm of 60, 120, 180, it's impossible. The rounding of the triggering means every now and then a note will be a few ms behind/ahead. It took me years to realise what this was, what I was hearing, why my sound kept randomly changing in ways I didn't want, like. So much stress. It should have been obvious really. It's OK if used as intended, for the preconstructed presets, the unintended swing adds a humanising effect or if you want a varying tone to the same note, like for pitch bass styles, only it's the position in time that's shifting, instead of randomising the start point within a sample/wave, turning retrigger off.

A small few (3 of us according to devs) are the only ones to ever mention it so a non issue. Non of the countless professionals who've released with it have the problem (although it is there). I hope since our last conversation he's changed his mind. Apparently it would take to much CPU power but some of us have amazing PC's, for those that do, it should be a choice. Sample accuracy mode!!!
It's the internal arp too that misses notes, plays too long or runs out of sync. I got told they work with 1ms precision and I just had to adjust my midi notes accordingly XD Don't think they've fixed such things.

Tilly wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:42 am It's the internal arp too that misses notes, plays too long or runs out of sync. I got told they work with 1ms precision and I just had to adjust my midi notes accordingly XD Don't think they've fixed such things.
I guess I'd expect issues with the arp. The Virus TI's arp is a nightmare, we learnt to start only using an arp for the initial idea, then draw in the midi, sometimes it never ends up quite the same though. I don't know of a synth that has a perfect arp but I haven't tested many.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mitchiemasha wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:49 am
Tilly wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:42 am It's the internal arp too that misses notes, plays too long or runs out of sync. I got told they work with 1ms precision and I just had to adjust my midi notes accordingly XD Don't think they've fixed such things.
I guess I'd expect issues with the arp. The Virus TI's arp is a nightmare, we learnt to start only using an arp for the initial idea, then draw in the midi, sometimes it never ends up quite the same though. I don't know of a synth that has a perfect arp but I haven't tested many.
Actually Nexus and (who would have thought that) Avenger are the only ones I experienced that. I didn't hear note overlap or sync issues with other synths so far (at least not noticably or only in realtime, not rendering).

Now the real question is, will the upgrade price have black friday discount? :)
Last edited by Kalonai on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is there going to be any new synthesis attached to version 3, or is it the same engine? More info is needed for a release coming the 29th of this month please reFX..
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I bought Nexus 2 last year with one expansion.
Now you have to pay 100€ to upgrade and obviously newer expansions will only work in N3.
Eh... not interested. 50€ for everyone would be cool tho.

I defiantly want to do a review on it that's for sure. I hope you guys get Kevin Schroeder, Howard Scarr, and Richard Devine to make sounds for it.

if they making it compatible with nexus 1 and 2 there will be nothing new much in terms of interface, will stay rompler, usb stick.

obviously just marketing thing to get hype on and sell. more likely people do not buy it much and sales are smaller.

Return to “Instruments”