Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Revolution Revolution-606

jbuonacc wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:22 pm
Ohlson_M wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 am Is it possible to apply step based modulation on individual drum sounds?
not within the 'Revolution' sequencer/interface, but you can automate the controls in Ableton.
How? The automatable controls will control whatever drum is selected. So how would you ever automate parameters for more than one drum?

So not even with the individual drum modules that are said to be fully integrated with Ableton and Push 2 (update 1.1) you can apply step based modulation on individual drum hits?

If the integration is true, you should be able to see, for instance, cut off parameter on kick, snare, OH etc.,on the Push 2 display, and from there you can modulate each step of every drum hit individually. Cut off, pitch, decay and so on.

I am asking here because there is literally no video whatsoever on Youtube demonstrating this feature.

Sure, with individual modules you can automate the parameters. But it will use about 1GB of ram per drum module, even when purged.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:35 pm Sure, with individual modules you can automate the parameters. But it will use about 1GB of ram per drum module, even when purged.
Holy cow. I guess buying a few high quality sample packs are my best option then.

The fact that this is not possible to do with only one instance of Revolution (as opposed to using individual modules) is a shame and, at least to me, severely limits the usability of the plugin. With drums, step based modulation is pretty much everything.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:35 pm Sure, with individual modules you can automate the parameters. But it will use about 1GB of ram per drum module, even when purged.
lol, no way. wtf?

the kick module is about 172mb, the snare is 202, the toms are 111mb, etc... claps and other modules are 10-40mb or so. a full rack/kit might run you about 1gb, but i just set it up and it's all there. automate any parameter on whichever module you choose.

EDIT: oh, wow... holy shit. you're damn right it does. with six modules loaded, Ableton was using around 8.8gb of RAM. after deleting them from the rack it's down to 1.1gb (?!). crazy. i stopped using it around the time the modules were released, wasn't aware of this. thanks for letting us know.

i did use the old 'Transistor Revolution MkII' modules a bit, but i don't remember them acting like this. never really looked into it, maybe they did. i never used more than a few at a time, so i probably wouldn't have noticed.

even a great sample pack won't quite do what 'Revolution' does for 909/808/606, but with that RAM usage it's just not worth using. that is just nuts, what's going on? with 'Revolution LE' loaded it uses about 1gb for the whole kit, but no way to automate that (as was said). oh well, thankfully we have the Roland Cloud versions now. 'Revolution' was never that great for the other machines anyway, better off with good samples (at original individual pitches for machines that offered it, if you want authenticity) inside TAL 'Sampler' or something.

Such a shame. The individual modules are what I was looking for, in terms of functionality, but they are not an option for me due to the high RAM required. Consuming 8-10 gb of RAM just on my drum loop is not an option.

Didn't they release a LE version? Less RAM, no sequencer and ability to remap MIDI notes.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:36 am Didn't they release a LE version? Less RAM, no sequencer and ability to remap MIDI notes.
The LE version was mostly about less cpu and more simplicity for those who wanted to use their hosts sequencer. Still loads all drums so similar ram.

The reason the individual modules use pretty much the same ram as the full kit is because you are able to load any drum so it basically contains all drums just like the full kit. Or at least the ability to load any drum, which seems to need the same amount of ram according to system usage, even if purged.

I (and others I'm sure) have requested individual kit modules, like a kick module, a snare module etc. But actually for some modules even that isn't enough. They should really separate any drum modules that use significant ram, such as the 808 kick, 909 kick, 909 snare etc. These ones that have alot of round robin and samples for different knob positions, should have their own modules. Some percussion and hi-hats could be combined I'm sure. But they should separate these into sensible sized modules. It's absurd to use up 1gb of ram for a single hit of a drum machine. And even more absurd that it's your only option for automating parameters since the full kit doesn't let you. A real shame because it's a good comprehensive product otherwise. I sold mine and would buy it back if this changed.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm
electro wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:36 am Didn't they release a LE version? Less RAM, no sequencer and ability to remap MIDI notes.
The LE version was mostly about less cpu and more simplicity for those who wanted to use their hosts sequencer. Still loads all drums so similar ram.

The reason the individual modules use pretty much the same ram as the full kit is because you are able to load any drum so it basically contains all drums just like the full kit. Or at least the ability to load any drum, which seems to need the same amount of ram according to system usage, even if purged.

I (and others I'm sure) have requested individual kit modules, like a kick module, a snare module etc. But actually for some modules even that isn't enough. They should really separate any drum modules that use significant ram, such as the 808 kick, 909 kick, 909 snare etc. These ones that have alot of round robin and samples for different knob positions, should have their own modules. Some percussion and hi-hats could be combined I'm sure. But they should separate these into sensible sized modules. It's absurd to use up 1gb of ram for a single hit of a drum machine. And even more absurd that it's your only option for automating parameters since the full kit doesn't let you. A real shame because it's a good comprehensive product otherwise. I sold mine and would buy it back if this changed.
Thank you for clarifying. Versatile automation of parameters (with the full kit) is, IMO, the single most important feature on a drum machine. I mean, EDM drum loops fall apart without that modulation. Even if the samples are high quality, it will still sound too static and, well, boring. Hopefully it can be fixed.

Ohlson_M wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am Such a shame. The individual modules are what I was looking for, in terms of functionality, but they are not an option for me due to the high RAM required. Consuming 8-10 gb of RAM just on my drum loop is not an option.
Even with DFD on ?
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Ohlson_M wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am Such a shame. The individual modules are what I was looking for, in terms of functionality, but they are not an option for me due to the high RAM required. Consuming 8-10 gb of RAM just on my drum loop is not an option.
Even with DFD on ?
The instruments are in DFD mode if I recall. Not sure why fully purged instruments in DFD mode use all that ram. Makes no sense to me.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm
Even with DFD on ?
The instruments are in DFD mode if I recall. Not sure why fully purged instruments in DFD mode use all that ram. Makes no sense to me.
You can try to change the DFD settings in Kontakt, there's a preload amount slider. It should be somewhere in the settings tab.

Btw : These settings only take effect after opening a new instance so try it in a blank Kontakt...
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:00 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm
Even with DFD on ?
You can try to change the DFD settings in Kontakt, there's a preload amount slider. It should be somewhere in the settings tab.

Btw : These settings only take effect after opening a new instance so try it in a blank Kontakt...
I no longer have it, but out of curiosity is that a global setting in Kontakt? I've never used it before but if I did want to use it for an instrument, would that affect all other instruments too?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:55 am I no longer have it, but out of curiosity is that a global setting in Kontakt? I've never used it before but if I did want to use it for an instrument, would that affect all other instruments too?
Yeah that's a global setting. Basically it lets you control the amount of memory that's preloaded when using DFD.

It's often one of the first things devs ask you to change when you have problems, i wouldn't have known about it if devs didn't point me to it when i had some problems in the past. That's why i thought i'd mention it here.
More BPM please

If someone with a copy of the full version of Revolution can test this, that would be great :)

Return to “Instruments”