TFT?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I´m not sure what kind of screen i should use. Bigger is better of course but how big?
Are there some pictures with modular or DAW screens around here. For screens from 27 zoll till infinity.

Use whatever kind of screen you think will be suitable for your needs.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

All consultants say "it depends"
But only some of them say on what it depends and what the ramifications are (is that an English word?)

I don't watch the market, but even to me TFT sounds old tech. OLED is the new thing. Which might mean you get big TFT for the same price as small OLED. Choice is up to you...

The apparent size of stuff on your screen depends on the DPI of said screen and how far you are away. The phone I am typing this on has 1280 pixels on 4 inch: 320 pixels per inch. But distance to my eyes is only one foot.
My laptop is further away, so bigger pixels are no problem.

So, figure out how many dots per inch you work with now, and at what distance. Can you handle stuff getting somewhat smaller or not: want it showing bigger?
Then the new screen: also guess how far away it will be. It all is easy to calculate...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

OLED isn't really a good idea for computer screens at the moment as they're very susceptible to burn in (or rather burn out) from static elements such as the taskbar. Fine on a TV where the pixels will wear evenly or on phones that get changed every 2 years, but not quite there for computer screens unless you've got money to burn.

TFT is a true and tested technology that's super cheap now, but you might like to get an IPS panel for the nicer colour reproduction and wider viewing angles. The only advantage TFT has other than cost is pixel response times - important if you're, say, a gamer chasing 120Hz refresh rates - but if you can afford it IPS is the better choice.

As for size and resolution, that's really down to you! I find some older plugs that can't be resized uncomfortably small on my 27" 1440p screen, but for my money it's better to think about the future rather than the past when making that choice and go as high res as you can afford.

Check my two posts at
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=533928

Pictus wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 pm Check my two posts...
Thanks for this, very helpfull.
Almost bought cheap 32" 2K AOC few days ago on sale, but couldn't decide between VA and IPS variants.

I erroneously called TN "TFT" in my above post. Thanks to Pictus for the link and reminder!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”