Uhbik 2.0 public alpha rev. 9313

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, wonderful ! Thank you, Urs & the Team !

simmo75 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:23 pm Will there be an intro price?
Urs wrote in the other Uhbik thread:

"Until release, the price stays €149, then (mid of January) goes up to €199. (Consider the current price tag an introduction offer to V2.0)

The upgrade is free for existing owners of a 1.x license."

I can't seem to be able to install it : the installer keeps telling me that "the data directory can not be used" (and that target directory is NOT in "program files").
I tried either "C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\U-He\Uhbik" and "C:\VST64\test", none allowed the installer to run :(

[edit] My fault : i think i had an old version of Uhbiks, which might not require a "uhbik.data" folder (instead, i had shortcuts pointing to a uhbik folder in "c/my documents"). I created a "dummy"/blank "uhbik.data" folder, and the installation ran fine.
Last edited by sinkmusic on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinkmusic wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 pm I can't seem to be able to install it : the installer keeps telling me that "the data directory can not be used" (and that target directory is NOT in "program files")
Hey,
we tried to make the windows installer a bit more robust, preventing users from using invalid directories for the installation. I seem to have made it worse in some aspects. ;) As the warning points out, the path needs to end with "Uhbik.data". So in your case, what you want is probably C:\VST64\test\Uhbik2\Uhbik.data

Thanks, in the meantime, i managed to make it work ;)

DSP wise, is there any new additions to try (like some updates to the reverb algorithm, or with the delay, etc) ?
I'm really glad to try Runciter with some modulation !

sinkmusic wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm Thanks, in the meantime, i managed to make it work ;)

DSP wise, is there any new additions to try (like some updates to the reverb algorithm, or with the delay, etc) ?
I'm really glad to try Runciter with some modulation !
Not in the alpha but we think about adding a new reverb algorithm or runciter filter mode for the release version. Can't make any guarantees though.

Excellent, thank you :)
The modulation system is great, congratulations !

simmo75 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:23 pm Will there be an intro price?
I believe they said the price will go up to $200 shortly after the release, so the $150 current price is sort of the intro price.

I only spent a few hours with the new Uhbiks yesterday, but a small annoyance for me personally, was the "orange ring" for modulation amount not displayed constantly on GUI elements.

It would be a nice visual aid to better understand patches, if you didn't needed to click the small lfo types to show it. Maybe have a switch to constantly show it? I would imagine that some don't want it to clutter the GUI all the time.

Another idea that could support better visual understanding could be to give each of the four mod matrix slots its own color?

Also, I really hope this gets implemented:
"Work in progress: We hope to be able to also visualize ModMatrix slots in the Scope!"
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:25 pm Hello world,
are you excited?
definitely excited! :hyper:

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:13 pm
lunardigs wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:07 pm Nice! :)
Looking forward to Linux builds. I suspect these will come toward the end of the beta phase?
Yeah, unfortunately our Linux builds fell out of sync recently - some major changes need some attention. We hope to bring them back on track soon :)
That would be really nice. Because the combination Linux, Bitwig and U-HE is really perfect.

Great! Thank you - Looks amazing!

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:03 pm Wow! The compressor looks nice. But please also check out upwards compression as in Bitwig dynamics
We actually had regular upwards compression in Uhbik-C for a while, but then decided to come up with the 'inflation' thing. Problem with upward is that you can have so many signals and occasions where it becomes unpredictable and makes things sound bloody awful, or simply broken. Especially when paired with concepts like feed-back, sidechain etc. It's very limited in application and parameter range, since the control signal and especially the envelope is crucial. I personally don't like sweet spots, in none of my developments. Every item should have a range as broad as possible and deliver good results no matter how bad you treat it, and the feeling with upward was just not what I could stand up for.
Inflation does a very similar thing, result-wise, but it's highly predictable and controllable, feels more 'natural' and encapsulates the entire concept of the plugin. It might just appear as a one-knob thing, but there's more underneath than meets the eye, it's a highly interactive process, and operates differently depending on how you set up the plugin in general. I'm sure it's gonna work.

Nevertheless, Uhbik-C is no substitute for Presswerk. C is still more on the weird, experimental side, and of course invites for things beyond regular compression jobs, given the mod options etc. Its feed-back mode is way faster and more 'FET'-like than PW, perhaps, and the overall sonic signature is more 'in your face'.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

UI notes:
Buttons on top (next to disabled) doesn't have hints.
Presets button is not clear. Also in U-he products it's located after <- -> and next to save.
Clicking Preset browser icon doesn't return to main screen.
Bug:
Flanger, Phaser - Time units are displayed in ms instead of quarters.
Murderous duck!

sascha wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:19 am We actually had regular upwards compression in Uhbik-C for a while, but then decided to come up with the 'inflation' thing. Problem with upward is that you can have so many signals and occasions where it becomes unpredictable and makes things sound bloody awful, or simply broken. Especially when paired with concepts like feed-back, sidechain etc. It's very limited in application and parameter range, since the control signal and especially the envelope is crucial. I personally don't like sweet spots, in none of my developments. Every item should have a range as broad as possible and deliver good results no matter how bad you treat it, and the feeling with upward was just not what I could stand up for.
Inflation does a very similar thing, result-wise, but it's highly predictable and controllable, feels more 'natural' and encapsulates the entire concept of the plugin. It might just appear as a one-knob thing, but there's more underneath than meets the eye, it's a highly interactive process, and operates differently depending on how you set up the plugin in general. I'm sure it's gonna work.

Nevertheless, Uhbik-C is no substitute for Presswerk. C is still more on the weird, experimental side, and of course invites for things beyond regular compression jobs, given the mod options etc. Its feed-back mode is way faster and more 'FET'-like than PW, perhaps, and the overall sonic signature is more 'in your face'.
Ok, I understand, thanks for the detailed explanation. Sure, upwards much better works per track or per group/bus, as a depth mixing tool or so. At least I love it for a lot of applications. What about an additional range parameter then, for the inflation? Since a gate usually is pretty imprecise as a workaround, esp. for the release times. For example with a range set to 10dB, the dynamics curve caused by inflation will smooth back to normal after a range of 10dB and the final release phase stays completely untouched. Plus then the noise floor only raises by 10dB. You could add such a slider onto the peak meter on the left. I guess you would then have to adapt the inflation's curve to the range length. Just an idea.
Last edited by Hanz Meyzer on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “u-he”