Behringer TD-3 Analog Bass Line Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So Sweetwater have just dropped the price from $199 to $149, and now they have started appearing in the UK at £99.

Has Behringer actually just dropped the price on these!?!?
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

yeah the mrrp has come down.

An analog 303 with analog DS1 distortion for £99 (£80 to me as I am VAT registered) - definitely rude not to get one, the red one can sit next to my Neutron :wink: I played with that 303 for years with ReBirth many, many years ago...never thought I would own one!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

rob_lee wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:50 pm
acid alex wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:47 pm
rob_lee wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:46 pm Never mind found them and ordered :-)

https://www.andertons.co.uk/keyboards-p ... ynthesizer
Yep that was it. Bargain!! Did you order both too?
Nah just 1 silver for now. Bargain price this. :tu:
+1 Another one bites the acid.

SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm An analog 303 with analog DS1 distortion for £99 (£80 to me as I am VAT registered) - definitely rude not to get one, the red one can sit next to my Neutron :wink: I played with that 303 for years with ReBirth many, many years ago...never thought I would own one!

Great :tu: I had £18.78 worth of loyalty points at Anderton's so got mine ordered at £80.22 :D

I don't normally preorder products.. but sort of pondering this one. At this price I could expect to see them sold out for awhile... unless Behringer made a ton of these.

I did get up in the middle of the night and stand in a line to collect a Mini NES and then also a Mini SNES before. But that was because they were limited edition items I wanted to play. These? I think these td3 are a longerish term item in the catalog.

But if Roland drops the bow on them maybe they become a limited edition item? :lol:

VitaminD wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:12 pm At this price I could expect to see them sold out for awhile... unless Behringer made a ton of these.
They must have - and, being the owners of a Chinese industrial city, it may be relatively cheap for 'em to make more.
(My plan is still to wait for a discount / used copy)

AnX wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:39 am
BONES wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 amoh.... so is that why you bought loads of synths to play live, specifically so it sounds different to the recording?
Yeah but it's not working out as I had hoped, for precisely that reason - it doesn't sound enough like the recorded versions, certainly nowhere near as good. Still, it's not like they cost me a fortune so it was worth the effort to find out. When you can scratch an itch for so little money, why wouldn't you? It was certainly a lot less costly than the switch to 64 bit has been.
SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:42 amHappy to talk about the Odyssey and the 1000's of people who famously played live with it without memories,
OK but don't forget to mention how they all moved onto something with a patch memory, pretty much as soon as those things became available, and only kept using the Odyssey for that one signature sound (I'm thinking specifically of Ultravox).
in fact I woudl think one of the main reasons the synth was famous and was marketed as a "performance" synthesizer.
How is that related to patch memory (or a lack thereof)? Korg's Prophecy was created to be a "performance" synth and it had tons of patch storage. It even had expansion cartridges if memory serves.
thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:10 amI used various classic mono synths without patch memorys when playing live over many years. Never had an issue dialling in the "right" sound on stage. Maybe its difficult for you BONES
I can only assume you didn't really care that much or you were just the keyboard player in the back corner of the stage with other people to distract the audience while you screwed around. I've never had that luxury, I have to keep the audience entertained between songs and minimise the gaps where there is no music playing. The point I made above also applies here - absolutely everyone abandoned those old synths as soon as synths with patch memories came along. In 1985 nobody was still using any of those old things. Why do you think that was?
bungle wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:33 pmSo leave the thread, who appointed you lord high commissioner of 303 hatred, get over yourself and go away.
Why would I do that? My opinion is as valid as anyone elses. In fact, as a former owner of two TB 303s, which I actually used on stage many times, I think my opinion is probably far more valid than most.
Last edited by BONES on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:23 am A synth without a patch memory is a toy.
Yup... my Eurorack is definitely a toy...
a big boys toy...
and I love it.. I have not been so inspired since I had my system 100

Actually, it's an instrument.. I patch it and play it.
My needs are different from yours... this is something so repetitive in your posts...
something does not suit you.. if another finds it does suit them... they're an idiot...

we can all be fng idiots...
just some are also stupid...
"When you are dead,
you don't know that you are dead.
It's difficult only for the others.

It's the same when you are stupid"
I had a Korg Mono/Poly and i was useless on stage so I never bothered with it
FTFY ;)
I know how any synth will sound by looking at the GUI in Cubase,
So.. a resikned synth will have a different sound...

yeah.. I am enlightened...
thanx bossssssss.

FFS>>> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

toonertik wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:46 pmActually, it's an instrument.. I patch it and play it.
No, if you "play", it's a toy.
this is something so repetitive in your posts...
something does not suit you.. if another finds it does suit them... they're an idiot...
If there is anything repetitive, it's the responses to my questions, or lack there of. Everyone gets a chance to prove they're not an idiot, few manage to do so. Your response here is a good example "your needs are different to mine". Well, derrr, how dumb would you have to be not to see that? It doesn't say anything beyond the bleeding obvious. It sheds no light on anything. A rational, sane, non-idiotic response might be along the lines of "patch memory would be nice but I can get by without it", rather than the implication that it is completely unnecessary and you wouldn't want it even if you could have it.
So.. a resikned synth will have a different sound...
I think this is where a lot of you fall down a lot of the time, you cannot think logically. Anyone could look at the same synth with the same settings, using 100 different skins and they would all tell that person the exact same thing (assuming they weren't broken). There is no logic to your comment at all. Possibly that's because you didn't read my comment in context but, whatever it was, it makes you look stupid.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The 303-style synths are simple enough that you could probably get along in a live set playing without patch memory. Even a MIni Moog, sticking to a few closely related sounds and having your shit rehearsed.

The Odyssey was a bit more complicated by the small switches and (IMHO) a slightly more convoluted layout, but you could get used to it. Still, no one I knew played more than a few patches in a set (and yes, I gigged in my teen years, in the 70s - my first synth was an Arp OMNI - simple enough that I could get away without patch memory, and we were the only band with a poly synth around :) )

But in the 80s, playing with a DX7 (LMAO at THAT without patch memory!), Matrix 6, Casio CZ etc. - no way. We used vastly different patches often within the same track. My current band uses an Ultranova on stage now and switch between things like wurli and mellotron sounds between verse and chorus on some tracks and about 20 other sounds (not that the Ultranova would lend itself well to manual patching at all).

And certainly no cover / nostalgia band (and they are making up a large percentage of live acts) could gig without patch memory unless they are a tribute band for an act that used a limited palette of sounds. I hardly see anyone gigging with mono-synths, etc.

The guys I know doing electronic / dance music sometimes work without patch memory, but again - it's significantly rehearsed and you have to plan your sounds around it. Some dudes (and dudettes) are just knob twiddling, which is fine, but that's not the same as most gigging musicians.

This looks like a fun synth for the nostalgia value and with limited live use. In the studio I'm not sure what the purpose would be except (and I'm guilty of this) - sometimes you just like a knobby piece of hardware at this price.

JoeCat wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:57 am In the studio I'm not sure what the purpose would be
I guess it's purpose would be to make music. :clown:
It's iconic for a reason.
Acid music would be the obvious choice but it has it's place in various genres.
Carbon Based Lifeforms has used it to great effect in their Ambient tracks for example.

BONES wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:20 am
toonertik wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:46 pmActually, it's an instrument.. I patch it and play it.
So all instruments are toys :roll:

And everyone here except BONES is an idiot :lol:

“Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart,”

-Bones
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Reefius wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:36 am
BONES wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:20 am
So all instruments are toys :roll:
Jesus, I say I 'play' the guitar....turns out I have been using the wrong word for what I do for the last forty years....I will now make sure I tell people I 'operate the guitar with learned dexterity in a rhythmic and defined tonal scale manner'

Can you all please ensure that you are operating your instruments in the most efficient manner and under no circumstances do anything spontaneous, frivolous or fun....its not supposed to be playtime people, this is a serious business!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”