Midi Signalflow

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,
this is my simple Midi Signalflow:
IMG_8699.JPG
The Linnstrument is connected via DIN In and Out.
I just wondering how to integrate a iPad Synthesizer in my Setup without to much hassle.
I would like to to play them simultaneously in Split-Mode
Any suggestions are welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If I search for "mini Taurus" I get lego stuff, what is it and does it have midi through?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I use a Bluetooth Midi connection to the iPad, but any iOS compatible Midi interface would do as well. (Any class compliant one should do with the camera connection kit)

BobDog wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:20 pm If I search for "mini Taurus" I get lego stuff, what is it and does it have midi through?
Excuse my sloppiness - the Minitaur is the little grandson of the Moog Taurus - if you'll just drop the "us." :wink:
Unfortunately It has only one Midi In.

I want to keep the setup as simple as possible because I want to use it on stage.
Of course I know about the solutions with the Apple CCK.
At the moment it seems to come down to a central midi unit - iConnectivity is building the devices. This makes the setup effort correspondingly large and I am dependent on the reliability of the iConnectivity device. I just want to keep it as simple as possible and look for simpler alternatives.
By the way, does anyone here know if and how the latency of the Midiclock changes over several devices?

Midiclock may well be delayed when going through many devices, it depends on each device.

As TJ says any midi interface for the iPad would do, you need some way of sending the midi output from the LS to both devices as well though, so some sort of splitter/thru device (like https://kentonuk.com/product/thru-5/).

It may just be easier to get an iConnectivity box which will do the midi interface and splitter/thru all in one box.

I have an iConnectMidi4 that has never given me an ounce of trouble.

I borrowed the Midi4 from a colleague and did a test setup - not the simpliest one:

After some training I have now managed to get my LinnStrument to talk to the iPad and the Minitaur. Now I have to set up the split and adjust the channels correctly. I will check if there is a midi channel for the Minitaur that is not used by MPE. And then I will add the midiclock generator.
Midi4+.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nice, good luck :)

Herr Mosa wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pm I will check if there is a midi channel for the Minitaur that is not used by MPE...
Animoog listens to all MIDI channels indiscriminately when it's in MPE mode, so you'll need to use a MIDI channel filter to restrict which channels it's receiving. You can either do that in the iPad with an app called MIDIflow Channels; or you can do it inside iConfig, but that's a little more complicated, and since the MIDI4+ is a loaner...

Cheers!

Does iConfig on iOS even work any more? They're really pushing people to move over to Auracle on Mac and PC, and I know that the iOS version is still some ways away...
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Thanks a lot for the hint of the Midi channels in Animoog, I already stumbled over it ;-)
Since I only borrowed the Midi4+, I'll probably need the mioXM, which is then configured with Auracle for X as well.
The LinnStrument uses 1 base channel plus 8 MPE channels in ChPerNote mode, right? So I will sort this out in the midi interface to limit the iPad signals to these 8(+1) channels.
I like to do the configuration on the computer - on stage the MIO will be operated standalone.

I'm just grinning about my idea of a simple setup... :))

mrspiral wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:37 am Does iConfig on iOS even work any more? They're really pushing people to move over to Auracle on Mac and PC, and I know that the iOS version is still some ways away...
No, iConfig for iOS has been dead in the water for nearly two years now. The desktop application of iConfig, however, still works; and it is way more configurable than Auracle. That said, I can't say that I've been following Auracle's development in recent history.

Cheers!

The "Auracle for X" seems to be beneficial
There are video guides for version x
https://www.iconnectivity.com/auracle-x-series

I came across e-rm in Berlin. Their Multiclock seems to be an interesting part regarding the Midiclock stability and it has a client complient USB port. The integrated Midi Mapper probably does what I want...
https://www.e-rm.de/multiclock/

I encounter a problem: The Midiclock (created externally by the Selah Quartz) is not recognized by the Linn instrument. Neither does the BPM display in the Global Settings reflect the incoming clock rate nor does the appgregator take over the external tempo.
The cross-check: A Digitakt takes over the tempo immediately...
Have I overlooked something or has anyone ever synchronized to the external clock?

Have you selected with the correct input/output-- USB MIDI or MIDI JACKS?

This raises an interesting (to me at least) question: Roger, is there a reason why the LinnStrument's MIDI and USB outputs are not always both active? I can understand why you'd need to be able to select an input (the LS isn't designed to be a MIDI merger/switcher), but I could see applications where sending identical MIDI to 5-pin and USB at once would be useful. If it's a hardware limitation, no sweat, I was just curious.

mike
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”