Plugin Alliance releases A/DA STD-1 Stereo Tapped Delay

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

it's all just one person, a disgruntled ex-plugin alliance worker.
i'm sure you'll read about them soon in the papers.

Fair warning! $99 intro price for me. If I didn't bought PA products only for $4 each in the last 12 months then I would have received a July voucher. :phones:

Looks very similar to colour copy, just more taps, am I right? With that and Valhalla delay out there this needs to be crazy good. Since you can get both of those for less than the price.

dangayle wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:28 pm Regardless of your views on PA, is this what KVR has become? If so, I'm outta here :-?
Seriously, where are the adults. It’s one constant moan and groan around here.

- Calm down about PA pricing. Yes, it’s expensive. No, you don’t have to buy it. Yes, it will probably go on sale in the future. Cool your jets.
- “It’s just another delay” It’s a BBD delay, which we can never have enough of. They all have different sound. It will be fine, I promise.
- Yes, Valhalla Delay is awesome, we mostly all agree. So what?

Can’t we ignore marketing hype and judge these things on their merits? People are reacting like spoiled children and it saddens me and lessens KVR.
I think most people don’t mind PA so much. I have a bunch of their plugins and like most of them quite a bit. I just find their marketing and PR-fumbles hilarious (and sometimes their Focusrite GUIs). It’s all in good fun, though. I’ll still buy their stuff on sale. Their retail prices are pretty funny as well.

yehboy1 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:05 pm I just put this on my tambourine track. Game has been changed.
Ahahaha a good one :hihi:

Keen to give this one a try. Might simply the whole doubling process.

Quantity over quality
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

The Virtual Room preset is surprisingly good if you dial back the wet/dry.

It is actually a good tool. I get the impression this is actually a legit hardware tool this was based on. If you push it to extremes though, you can get some interesting creative results.

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:57 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm For a really good delay with a unique sound and reasonable intro price ($29) see the Nembrini delay3000. :phones:
I'm sure it's lovely but it has very little to do with the STD-1. The STD-1 isn't meant to be used as a delay: with a maximum delay of 50ms or so it's a chorus/flanger unit with more taps than yer regular chorus. So it tends to get used to make mono sources sound more stereo or to get flanging effects that aren't quite in the usual space. And it's quite a tricky unit to emulate with a regular BBD delay because you'll generally need to run two or three in parallel to get enough taps. Luckily, there's only one regen loop to work with, so ganging a bunch up in parallel shouldn't be too far from what this one does. Ohmboyz Infinity might be the closest to this in one unit that isn't a dedicated BBD delay.

Overloud does an STD-1 emulation as well (with a bunch of extra features) - €129 normally. I think it's discounted a bit at the moment. So the PA intro price is not far removed from that at all.
I guess most people who commented on this thread never read your post, because as you say, this isn't meant to be a traditional delay unit. It´s basically a multitap modulation effect.
I also thought it was a delay first (it says delay on the tin after all), but I was pleasantly surprised after testing this. I could probably achieve something similar with a multi-tap delay with some tweaking but this is really straight forward and it sounds excellent. I would never buy this as the regular price of-course, as with most PA plugins.

mixtur.se wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 pm
Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:57 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm For a really good delay with a unique sound and reasonable intro price ($29) see the Nembrini delay3000. :phones:
I'm sure it's lovely but it has very little to do with the STD-1. The STD-1 isn't meant to be used as a delay: with a maximum delay of 50ms or so it's a chorus/flanger unit with more taps than yer regular chorus. So it tends to get used to make mono sources sound more stereo or to get flanging effects that aren't quite in the usual space. And it's quite a tricky unit to emulate with a regular BBD delay because you'll generally need to run two or three in parallel to get enough taps. Luckily, there's only one regen loop to work with, so ganging a bunch up in parallel shouldn't be too far from what this one does. Ohmboyz Infinity might be the closest to this in one unit that isn't a dedicated BBD delay.

Overloud does an STD-1 emulation as well (with a bunch of extra features) - €129 normally. I think it's discounted a bit at the moment. So the PA intro price is not far removed from that at all.
I guess most people who commented on this thread never read your post, because as you say, this isn't meant to be a traditional delay unit. It´s basically a multitap modulation effect.
I also thought it was a delay first (it says delay on the tin after all), but I was pleasantly surprised after testing this. I could probably achieve something similar with a multi-tap delay with some tweaking but this is really straight forward and it sounds excellent. I would never buy this as the regular price of-course, as with most PA plugins.
Well I understood how it was supposed to be used at least. It’d s handy little shortcut of a plugin that helps with doubling. Though I found the results it yields isn’t always going to work. Well at least that was my experience. We still have the older techniques we can fall back on, however.

I'm sure it's a great delay and all but it's definitely got the Elton John price tag.

Mind you, give it a few months and you'll get it for virtually nout' (with a voucher).
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Effects”