Waves announce V11...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 pm
LeVzi wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:31 pm https://www.waves.com/introducing-waves-v11

Doesnt seem that long ago V10 came out and nothing changed with that, now V11, forcing more WUP purchases to upgrade, but I ask why ? What will change.

I love my Waves plugins but I do not like this business model, of this WUP and version updates for nothing. I question Waves reasons for this tbh.w
Dude. That’s a false assumption. You shouldn’t really go around making rumours that aren’t true. You could be causing people some undue stress...

No one is forced to do it. You only need to get it when it becomes necessary.

You will probably need it if you upgrade to Catalina, but there will be many devs that will be charging for Catalina compatibility. Take Ozone 9 for example. RX won’t be far behind and that is always super expensive to upgrade.
If you want V11 and out of WUP, you'll have to upgrade, is V11 the fix for Catalina, i suspect so, so it's all a bit "forced" to me. If people charge for an OS fix, I find that harsh tbh. The fix HAS to be made, so why charge people for it, it's not their fault Apple are such asshats.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:27 pm
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:38 pm I love waves stuff, does exactly what it says on the tin. So I dunno (other than the WUP) what the issue is with their stuff.
Slagging off Waves is evidence of how cool and l33t your bedroom Tarnce is.
I knew there'd be a valid reason, thank you for that.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:05 pm

If you want V11 and out of WUP, you'll have to upgrade, is V11 the fix for Catalina, i suspect so, so it's all a bit "forced" to me. If people charge for an OS fix, I find that harsh tbh. The fix HAS to be made, so why charge people for it, it's not their fault Apple are such asshats.

Yeah, seems clear it's a money grab. I mean they went forever and a day with 9, 10 for a short period of time and now 11 with not many reasons to grab.

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:11 pm Yeah, seems clear it's a money grab. I mean they went forever and a day with 9, 10 for a short period of time and now 11 with not many reasons to grab.
it’s pretty clear their new business model is continual ‘crazy’ sales and then making their money off WUP - so I’d bet on regular yearly ‘major releases’. Especially profitable since WUP cost is based of ‘recommended retail’ price of the plugins (not the price actually paid) - so all those $29 ‘deals’ come back to bite you when WUP renewal time comes

jdnz wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:37 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:11 pm Yeah, seems clear it's a money grab. I mean they went forever and a day with 9, 10 for a short period of time and now 11 with not many reasons to grab.
it’s pretty clear their new business model is continual ‘crazy’ sales and then making their money off WUP - so I’d bet on regular yearly ‘major releases’. Especially profitable since WUP cost is based of ‘recommended retail’ price of the plugins (not the price actually paid) - so all those $29 ‘deals’ come back to bite you when WUP renewal time comes
Yeah, but you don't need to renew "WUP" to use your plugins or am I missing something? Also, I highly doubt that Waves WUP policy is compliant with European Union (biggest market for Waves) consumer regulations! They would clearly lose if the matter became subject to legal scrutiny!

The Voucher seems useless. If anyone thinks it's good, please explain why.

Please Note:

This Voucher is valid until December 13, 2019, and may be used toward any Waves software purchase or upgrade.
This voucher may be redeemed for up to 50% toward any bundle, application (e.g. MultiRack, eMotion LV1), or upgrade, or up to 25% toward any plugin, off the price at the time of redemption.
This Voucher may not be combined with multiple plugin discounts.
Multiple vouchers may not be combined.
Vouchers can only be used for one order and do not carry a remaining balance.
This Voucher is non-transferable.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:48 pm The Voucher seems useless. If anyone thinks it's good, please explain why.

Please Note:

This Voucher is valid until December 13, 2019, and may be used toward any Waves software purchase or upgrade.
This voucher may be redeemed for up to 50% toward any bundle, application (e.g. MultiRack, eMotion LV1), or upgrade, or up to 25% toward any plugin, off the price at the time of redemption.
This Voucher may not be combined with multiple plugin discounts.
Multiple vouchers may not be combined.
Vouchers can only be used for one order and do not carry a remaining balance.
This Voucher is non-transferable.
Do not take voucher if you are allergic to voucher.
Common side effects of voucher are GAS and plug in bloat.
Serious side effects include plug in envy, depression and or suicidal thoughts.
Don't use too much alcohol with vouchers.

So you need to pay for WUP on plugins that you own which then gives you a voucher that you can use to buy more plugins and that need to buy WUP for?
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Only after a year has gone by do you need to re wup. WHICKTSH! Wup it good.

Kongru wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 pm So you need to pay for WUP on plugins that you own which then gives you a voucher that you can use to buy more plugins and that need to buy WUP for?
I never bought WUP for my Waves plugins. Whatever it is exactly.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:48 pm Yeah, but you don't need to renew "WUP" to use your plugins or am I missing something?
not needed to just use - but you need to be in WUP coverage to access major version updates (so 9->10 and now 10->11) and I’m pretty sure you can only access their technical support if your WUP is current too

That and you can't resell unless under wuptido.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:48 pm Yeah, but you don't need to renew "WUP" to use your plugins or am I missing something? Also, I highly doubt that Waves WUP policy is compliant with European Union (biggest market for Waves) consumer regulations! They would clearly lose if the matter became subject to legal scrutiny!
You don't have to renew WUP indeed. It's necessary only in certain cases. But then again, literally every developer asks you to pay for upgrades.

And no, that's nonsense - it's not in any way non-compliant with EU consumer rules. Literally every piece of expensive enterprise software works the same way. This model is the norm and not exception with most business software, and has been so for decades. Pretty much all the software we use in our company is dependent on this model. After initial purchase you pay every year for maintenance agreement that is a certain % of the original purchase price. For that you get updates, upgrades and support. The difference with Waves is that you do not have to pay for WUP every year, but you do have to with 99.9% of business software - if you skip a year then you have to buy the license again if you want to get back to latest version later on.
No signature here!

You don't have to eat food but if you don't ...
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

jdnz wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:37 pm all those $29 ‘deals’ come back to bite you when WUP renewal time comes
My WUP would come to $240, for about 80 plugins. After Gold and RennMax that leaves about 30 others bought over the past few years, never at more than that $29. About half of that 30 are V9, some have been out of coverage since 2014.

Im not in agreement that $3 per plugin is that much of a bite, not even on top of $29.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Effects”