Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V still recommendable?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

midi_transmission wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:31 pm I had a very similar question. I love the PPG sound. I'm owning the Waldorf Edition 2 LE and thinking if I should upgrade to the Waldorf Edition 2 - or even get the PPG 3.v

Any opinions if it's worth to upgrade Waldorf Edition 2 LE to Waldorf Edition 2?

So far it seems that PPG 3.v isn't a real difference to PPG 2.v?
Funktionality\features regarding - the difference is huge. (ability of Import your own waveforms, multitimbral\multilayering etc). But nonetheless, there is another factors (among stability) which make v2 not a less interesting.
For example, once i tried to import one of my own made fav presets from v2, and i heard difference in sound. I do not want to say that i don't liked new variant of that timbre - no, it was like more clean\digital, ie nice in its own way, but the fact that it sounded different finally convinced me that it was necessary to have both plugins. If remove the probable stability factor, then I do not want to underestimate the possibility of layers for example - this is very interesting (especially with a bit more cold\digital sound).

Again - my variant it's only both packages - full Edition v2 and ppgv3, no other way.
Otherwise, you will definitely lose something.

Great answer. But which one was the more stable version for you? I understand that you mean the 2.v?

midi_transmission wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:39 pm
Lotuz2019 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:35 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:31 pm Any opinions if it's worth to upgrade Waldorf Edition 2 LE to Waldorf Edition 2?
https://waldorfmusic.com/en/waldorf-edition-2-software :
The full version has many advantages over the LE version:

Attack:

24 parts instead of 12 in LE version
64 voices opposed to eight in LE version
melodic sounds
six stereo outputs

PPG Wave 2.V:

eight MIDI channels
64 voices instead of eight
two stereo outputs
possible upgrade to PPG Wave 3.V in our webshop
So the only real benefit seems to be 64 voices instead of 8 for 25€. Hmm
What is a drum synth worth without a multi out?

midi_transmission wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:22 pm But which one was the more stable version for you? I understand that you mean the 2.v?
Yes, ofcourse v2 meant (2.2V if more precisely). The v3 is more complex, so even logically it will less stable.

Not to derail, but for 80s sounds, Phonec is my favorite.

dandezebra wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:58 am ... for 80s sounds, Phonec is my favorite.
?? Phonec is awesome, but it doesn't do "PPG" 80s sounds.

chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:28 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:39 pm
Lotuz2019 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:35 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:31 pm Any opinions if it's worth to upgrade Waldorf Edition 2 LE to Waldorf Edition 2?
https://waldorfmusic.com/en/waldorf-edition-2-software :
The full version has many advantages over the LE version:

Attack:

24 parts instead of 12 in LE version
64 voices opposed to eight in LE version
melodic sounds
six stereo outputs

PPG Wave 2.V:

eight MIDI channels
64 voices instead of eight
two stereo outputs
possible upgrade to PPG Wave 3.V in our webshop
So the only real benefit seems to be 64 voices instead of 8 for 25€. Hmm
What is a drum synth worth without a multi out?
I have been many times on the fence about upgrading my LE2 to full version but even with 50% off I have always found it not to be really good value. Of course I mainly use the D-Pole.
No signature here!

Just received an email from Waldorf.
They are celebrating their 30 years: coupon code 30years will give you 50% off Nave/Lector/PPG Wave 3.0 and Blofeld soundsets.
Enjoy.

Stability issues, cumbersome/unscalable UIs and no multi out for Attack confirm my impression that, while they sound beautiful, they're more or less abandonware. Double-click doesn't even reset values like in many DAWs/Plugins now.

MaF wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:04 am Stability issues, cumbersome/unscalable UIs and no multi out for Attack confirm my impression that, while they sound beautiful, they're more or less abandonware. Double-click doesn't even reset values like in many DAWs/Plugins now.
Attack supports multi-out in the full Waldorf Edition 2. It's only the limited LE version that lacks this feature.

I agree there isn't much development of these plugins any more, however. They should definitely reduce the prices to reflect this (bugs that go unfixed for years, etc.), but they're worth looking into when they're 50% off.

I have the full Waldorf Edition 2 and should have been more precise. Attack indeed has a second stereo out (3-4), but one could argue whether this is enough for a drum plugin. I agree, the prices don’t reflect the lack of development.

Hmm... they're quite a bargain considering they were sold as single plugins at a price point of about $199 each, i think. At least Attack and the PPG were. Not sure about the rest.

Yes, they're old, but, they're still updated, got some reworked GUI's and stuff. I wouldn't say the price point doesn't reflect the amount of development put into them. I'm pretty sure they don't sell too many copies these days, so.

Does anyone know where demo versions can be downloaded?

Edit:
https://www.waldorfmusic.com/en/30-days-trial-versions

No demo version for Waldorf Edition 2?

Does anyone know when the last update for Mac was, and what the most recent version is?
Thanks in advance.

simmo75 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:49 pm Does anyone know when the last update for Mac was, and what the most recent version is?
Thanks in advance.
Was wondering the same. Too many bugs & crashes to make it with buying even at %50 off
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

Return to “Instruments”