Poll: producing, mixing and mastering with headphones only?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?

Are you making music using only headphones, studio monitors or both?

Yes, I´m using only headphones
34%
No, I´m using only studio monitors for my music, never headphones
13%
I need both monitor speakers and headphones to get my work done.
52%

Total votes: 61

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I´m really curious to hear how many of you guys are making music using only headphones.
I could never work with studio monitors exclusively because my headphones are still revealing some details that even expensive speakers often miss, so I´m using both.
What about you?

I am surprised that here are some voters who use headphones only. Everyone
can do what he likes - of course. But if you use headphones only your songs
would sound "good" only on headphones. If that is your intention ...
Last edited by enroe on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Out of 5 (so far) respondents I'm the only one not using headphones. I'm feeling lonely. And a little weird.

I mainly just use headphones when I'm recording guitars, drums and vocals. Otherwise I may check a mix with them, but mainly I mix and master on my monitors.

@googly I always thought you were weird (in a good way) ;)

enroe wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:11 pm I am surprised that here are some voters who use headphones only. Everyone
can do what he likes - of course. But if you use headphones only your songs
would sound "good" only on headphones. It that is your intention ...
When I started making music I didn´t have the money to buy good studio monitors, it was really frustrating and I had to use a cheap pair of computer speakers, I think it was one from sound blaster..
But even if I had the money to buy studio speakers, it would have been too loud to work with them in my flat :hihi:
So no choice for me back then, pc speakers or headphones.

I have 3 pairs of monitors and 2 sets of headphones I use regularly. The more sound sources you mix on, the better.

60% headphones 30% Monitors 10% Eyes. If I could mix solely on my Monitors I would, as I prefer the space between. Unfortunately I live in a small upstairs flat, in an acoustically untreated room. The mice also get pissy about the noise :P
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

I'm used to headphones for long working sessions, only use monitors for reality check at later stage.

Also, using visual feedback tools, such as Izotope Tonal Balance Control, not only yields better results, but is many times faster than doing same things by ear.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

enCiphered wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:49 pm But even if I had the money to buy studio speakers, it would have been too loud to work with them in my flat :hihi:
So no choice for me back then, pc speakers or headphones.
Actually, when working at lower volumes you get a better product.

A mix made at low volume usually translates quite well to playing loud, where as a mix made at high volume rarely sounds balanced when played at a sensible level.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Even though I work with headphones only, I still need to check the song balance with 2.1 pc speakers, monitors and home stereo to be sure that it sounds good everywhere.

Headphones only - and it's on purpose. And my music listening is on headphones only. I have the money to buy monitors but won't. That's my choice.

Keep your feet warm!

I mix and master on monitors, then flip back and forth between them and decent head phones. I then test on everything right down to a set of cheap computer desktop speakers I own.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

How can you know what your mix sounds like on different systems if you don't test it on different systems?
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 pm ...
@googly I always thought you were weird (in a good way) ;)
That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all week! :D

Jafo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:39 am How can you know what your mix sounds like on different systems if you don't test it on different systems?
Testing on different systems can help, but it's impossible to cover the diverse range of devices that people use, all of which will have a different way of representing your mix. Checking how well it sounds in mono, in headphones, and on speakers will help, but using visual mixing cues and reference tracks will help bridge the gaps in between.

Return to “Production Techniques”