Ableton is everywhere...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Yeah, poor piano roll."

The piano roll works fine for me. It's not particularly beautiful, but what exactly do you want to do that you can't?

jonljacobi wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:00 pm "Yeah, poor piano roll."

The piano roll works fine for me. It's not particularly beautiful, but what exactly do you want to do that you can't?
Yep. Me too ... never had an issue with it.

I’m surprised at how often piano roll comes up as a criticism of Live. It works fine for me, and I’m not sure why it’s considered so deficient in functionality by some...

since i got this kitten ive seen less ableton around the house. could also be they're going in to hibernation.

They don't hibernate as such, but in the winter become unableton live.

:lol:

Forgotten wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:09 pm I’m surprised at how often piano roll comes up as a criticism of Live. It works fine for me, and I’m not sure why it’s considered so deficient in functionality by some...
It is the fallacy of picking the different best features of ALL DAWs (past DAWs too) to shit on a SINGLE DAW.

They join the best features of the piano roll of several DAWs (FL is the main one, but they also join it with stuff like arranger and chord tracks, expression maps, etc. from other DAWs) then compare that super piano roll that doesn't actually exist to Live's piano roll, to "prove" it is "poor".

I think piano rolls are all in need of a re-work. I mean, they work fine in virtually any host but there is always some annoyance regardless of host that bugs me. Oh well, I use Reason and it's ... ok. Live's PR was fine when I used it.

People go on and on about FL studios PR and that is the program I like the least :shrug:

Everyone is different.

BTW, kinda OT, but does Live have midi chase now? That is something I think EVERY host should have.

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:51 pm BTW, kinda OT, but does Live have midi chase now? That is something I think EVERY host should have.
Yes, it has. They added it on Live 10. And yeah, every host should have one. I guess Reason, Bitwig and Mutools are only one which doesn't have it yet.

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:51 pm BTW, kinda OT, but does Live have midi chase now? That is something I think EVERY host should have.
Yup. Added with L10

Thanks guys.

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:50 pm I think piano rolls are all in need of a re-work. I mean, they work fine in virtually any host but there is always some annoyance regardless of host that bugs me. Oh well, I use Reason and it's ... ok. Live's PR was fine when I used it.

People go on and on about FL studios PR and that is the program I like the least :shrug:

Everyone is different.
They’re all amazing and they’re all shit. Simultaneously.

Seriously.

That's kinda true. But Imho they have gotten MUCH better in recent years. I can remember the days when I did was fight stability issue. I think x64 is a big part, before that there was nowhere for the ram to go so if you used heavier ram projects they'd just go bonkers. And at least for doze, it's gotten a LOT better. I dunno about mac.

What exactly is this ABLETONE and why should I care about it?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”