If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

enroe wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm Maybe it is not so silly. Because with Catalina Apple cancels
the famous and very popular image-management software
"Aperture AUS". For Mac OS 10.15 Aperture doesn't work any
more: click here (but only german).

What if Apple says - at the coming OS 10.20: "Sorry, but
Logic doesn't work anymore. But you can use Garageband
instead." :?: :idea: :scared: :(
Translated to English...

"Aperture has been a loyal user for many years. But Apple pulled the ripcord some time ago and has since offered no further updates. Worse still, macOS 10.15, aka Catalina, needs a 64-bit version of image management simply does not exist - and no longer comes after. And Catalina does not support 32-bit apps anymore.

But even if you have to part with the cherished workflow that Aperture previously offered: Other image management programs can be operated with a bit of familiarization just as comfortable and fast. You can transfer your years of Aperture collection to alternatives such as photos for macOS, Lightroom Classic or any other folder-based image manager - for example, the comparably priced Luminar 3.

The structure of the image organization largely remains with the move. Unfortunately, some data such as photo books can not be transferred automatically. In addition, we give a quick overview of what is retained and where some work is required. "

This raises an interesting point, that if DAW developers are struggling with maintaining their programs on the Mac side of the fence as well as plugin developers. Apple could no holds barred nuke further development of Logic. Selling it to Microsoft and bringing Logic back home to the PC platform... as it once was :-D ... maybe.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

But then there is this. The mac is fiercely popular in this industry. Nobody is going to say "that's it, I'm not developing mac anymore, I quit"

Or at least I'm pretty sure of that. They will dredge through and keep on keeping on unless the popularity declines significantly.

They do "break shit" though when they have a new OS a lot it seems though.

And right there is the absurd paradox of it all - Apple break shit, screw their customers over for their own convenience and yet those customers keep coming back for more. You just can't buy that kind of stupidity.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Stockholm syndrome can explain that.

reggie1979 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:13 pm But then there is this. The mac is fiercely popular in this industry. Nobody is going to say "that's it, I'm not developing mac anymore, I quit"
macOS has been losing market share in the latest years. One of the best indicators is the number of Avid Pro Tools users that are in Windows now, compared to the number of Pro Tools users that were in Windows 10 years go, or even 5 years ago.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:11 am
reggie1979 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:13 pm But then there is this. The mac is fiercely popular in this industry. Nobody is going to say "that's it, I'm not developing mac anymore, I quit"
macOS has been losing market share in the latest years. One of the best indicators is the number of Avid Pro Tools users that are in Windows now, compared to the number of Pro Tools users that were in Windows 10 years go, or even 5 years ago.
And what is that number ?

Site name: "Cult of Mac".

Why do i question the credibility of their figures?

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:55 pm And right there is the absurd paradox of it all - Apple break shit, screw their customers over for their own convenience and yet those customers keep coming back for more. You just can't buy that kind of stupidity.
Hehe.. I'm just fascinated and disgusted at the same time.. :D
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:21 pm Site name: "Cult of Mac".

Why do i question the credibility of their figures?
I don’t know, but the data was sourced from Gartner.

cult of mac... what is this? I'm concerned more about some apple users now...

I dunno. People seem to love macs. I wouldn't have one because it's a VERY expensive dongle and I can build a perfectly good doze computer for much less. They are shiny and bright though.

What exactly is this LINUX thing and why should I care about it?
My DAW is working flawlessly...

"cult of mac".... I'm scared.

Calenberger wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:44 pm What exactly is this LINUX thing and why should I care about it?
You shouldn't, unless you like having one arm tied behind your back or you are a masochist.
Say NO to CLAP!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”