Your next guitar revisited

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

codec_spurt wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:54 am
tapper mike wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:06 pm
The Noodlist wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:11 pm
tapper mike wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:00 am As mentioned earlier I"m picking up an Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor Pro II.
I'm already thinking about swapping out the Alnico 2 pups with ceramic humbuckers. I'm afraid the alnico pups won't have enough punch. But that will have to wait at least 6 months after I pick up the guitar.
A compressor at the end of a pedal chain might help, I found a little goes a long way.
Been using a Landlord FX A Cheeky Pint Compressor Pedal to good effect. I find ceramic pups seem to have more of a compressed sound, I compress the Alnico to pull things together.
The older I get the less I try to do anything with effects. It's just straight into the amp. I like that. I have an amp setting that works for mean and I leave it. I like just picking up the guitar and playing rather then fiddle with knobs. The only thing I use is the reverb that's on the amp.

I'm holding back the old brain CPU cycles as well these days until I really need them. My Fender Mustang has about 2/3 settings on it that I know will work with most of my guitars. I did spend a while making up presets, but I lost them. And I haven't updated the firmware since the amp was released (v1).

And I'm happy with that. It gives some kind of reference point at least.

I'll be picking up my two new Zoom Multi-Stomp pedals soon that have been delivered. I must admit, I'm looking forward to plugging those in. But then again, a few people say they need a bit of work to make the most out of them. Ah well, if it's worth the effort, maybe I'll dedicate a few of those rare CPU brain cycles to it. If not...
Well here's a long story about all that. I used to host a website Famous Sounds. I started cataloging various artists and the keys. synths and settings they used from the 50's through the mid 70's It was incredibly dry work trying to find out the "as played on the record" which can be quite different from live of live videos. It was a labor of love and no one ever visited or commented.

Then I did the same thing for guitarists from the 40's through the 80's Famous Rigs if you will again "as recorded" as many would swap out rigs later on. I'd try to get a handle on not just the tools they used but the settings as well. This was killed by Line 6 they had a separate area (can't find now) with every rig everyone ever had and maps so anyone with a decent current multi effects processor (not just theirs) could recreate the tones. So that little project died on the vine.

A few years back I decided I wanted to busk again. I didn't have enough jazz fingerstyle songs under my belt so I figured I'd just play classic rock stuff I new from the 60's to the 80's. I needed a multi effect pedal which operated on a battery and was sturdy (my pandora mini just wouldn't work) I picked up a zoom G1Xon. Yes it does run on a battery or usb.
The problem was.... the usb is simply for power or firmware updates.
There are no famous rigs like Helix included. So armed with some memory and ... https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?u ... rt=&page=1
I began to program my G1zon manually using pages and cursors. It's a pain. It takes forever. The user provided patches are often far from the truth. After two summers I was done with busking in the park.

These days I have zero time for programming anything. I'll work 13 days in a row with at least two doubles if not three. All my other stuff (linnstrument / bitwig / Korg Krome) May get touched in two weeks. With that small section of time. I make myself play jazz standard in my own fingerstyle plus tapping method while I work out an arrangement of my own for standards I haven't done. Arranging is very demanding. What used to take a few days sometimes takes two weeks now. Playing the standards is also important to me as... I keep on forgetting them even if I've played them for over a decade or more.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

I dunno. I love my new discounted once upon a time Fender Elite Strat so much, I'm not sure how to put this into perspective vs. whatever. Nope, it's that cool.

Yeah I know, they get like that. After I purchased my Strat Plus I fell so hard in love with it that I thought I would never want for another guitar. The guitar is similarly "just right" and "just amazing" Which goes into the pricing structure of Fender. If you really want the best Fender made always choose American.

Too true. It's overwhelming how good this strat is. I had a murican deluxe and it was fine, but this is SO much better.

Don't get me wrong, I don't sing praises lightly, if it was crap, I'd have sent it back in a heartbeat. But it isn't, and thus is my number one........... I think I'll replace the trem with a "vega trem" though before it's all said and done ;)

And I was worried about the heel with this one ( I loved the murican deluxe cutaway) but this is even better! It's easy access even with my small hands/fingers. It's ace. And sounds GREAT!

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:13 am I think I'll replace the trem with a "vega trem" though before it's all said and done ;)
The Vega is a masterpiece. It sounds and feels better than a Floyd Rose, and during the time I tried it stayed in tune just as well.

The last few days have re confirmed my plans for January. Locking tuners, fret leveling and nut slot work. replacing the generic toggle switch and jack with switchcraft. CTS Pots and orange drop capacitors all on the epi. I've been going back and forth between my Epi Joe Pass and my Charvel Pro Mod. Night and day as for play ability and tone response.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:30 am
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:13 am I think I'll replace the trem with a "vega trem" though before it's all said and done ;)
The Vega is a masterpiece. It sounds and feels better than a Floyd Rose, and during the time I tried it stayed in tune just as well.
Trip, because that is how I feel it will be. The available vids are CRAZY good where it's concerned........

reggie1979 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:43 am Trip, because that is how I feel it will be. The available vids are CRAZY good where it's concerned........
I had high expectations from the videos and it actually exceeded my expectations. I didn’t expect it to be so smooth or to pull up as far as it does. It’s the best trem I’ve used.

I want it, do you sell it?

We don’t but I can ask them about it.

I want a Jazz bass. What I really want is a passive system, really silky neck, proper pups. I'd really prefer MIA.

Guess what? You can't have it w/o issues. First, so many have the truss where you need to take off the neck to adjust :dog: Who does that? Or they are just too expensive (like the elite) and the elite has the string through body which I just hate. Schecter makes one that is reviewed nicely but it's not MIA, and has string through :bang:

Nash would be the most expensive but you need to take the neck off to adjust the truss :shrug:

:shrug:

If they made this one with the truss in the right spot, it would be perfect:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric- ... 12357.html

Warmoth necks with tiltback headstocks have the truss rod adjustment at the nut.

Just found out about these guys:

https://reverb.com/item/26321019-marusz ... set-orange

As you can see the truss is easily accessible. Made in Poland.

Hmmm, that one is active so I'd have to order it.

Return to “Guitars”