DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Teksonik wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:03 am
Like I said being able to use a plugin for free forever to render is not in the best interest of anyone.
Seems to work pretty well for u-he. They have one the most generous demo/open-beta policies of any any plugin dev and as far as we can all tell, business isn't taking a hit as a result. Imo time-limited demos, particularly anything less than 30 days, can encourage impulse buying, as one may feel pressure to buy, lest they lose the ability to continue working with the plugin in a project/s. Impulse buys aren't really in the best interest of devs and customers alike, at least not in the long term. A dev gets their cash whether a purchase was considered or not, but speaking from experience (I'm assuming many others have fallen foul also) plugins bought on impulse tend to get left by the wayside and eventually sold on, meaning that we the customer don't become invested in the product and are therefore less likely to purchase future upgrades, soundsets etc. As for the customer side, demoing lots of products and feeling pressured to buy them can result in a library full of plugins that you don't end up using. Once the initial excitement of a shiny new toy wears off and the pressure of project compatibility is alleviated, you're left with a bunch of tools that you didn't actually need. It's not great for your creative output nor your wallet.

It's not to say that having open-ended demos won't lead to impulse purchases, but imo if you have longer to try a plugin, to get over the honeymoon period and fully incorporate a new tool into your workflow, then you are much more likely to continue using it and investing in it's development, supporting the dev in the loner term as a result.

TLDR; I don't think you are correct to assert that infinite demos are universally/unquestionable negative for everyone involved.
Always Read the Manual!

Danilo Villanova wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:30 am The new update deleted all of my user presets... hundreds of them...OMG
Did you get them back?

Our installers don't delete any presets (why would they?)

It is easy enough to verify this: Create some folder under Soundbanks (can be empty or filled with random .fxp), run the installer again and check the contents of the directory.

Richard
Last edited by Richard_Synapse on Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

user error, it doesn't delete anything

AnX wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:55 pm
Touch The Universe wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm You mean the background is it own png? Why not change that as well?

I was trying to mess with highlights or hue but not getting close.

Maybe just replace the entire knob file, but not sure where to find more knobs like this.

the background is a png file, that has some shadows already burned on. Some of the shadows encroach onto text, so it's a lot of work to get round this (and it isn't a flat colour either) Other knobs appear with shadows even if the knob itself has no shadow.

ive tried several knobs, but the permanent shadows make it a futile experiment
I have not actually tried it myself, but the shadows look pretty generic (a drop shadow with the light coming from straight up).
Aren't you fine as long as you stick to a rounded design?

The lower cpu usage for multiple instances really is a winner for me.

Brilliant.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

cytospur wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:41 pm
Yorrrrrr wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:39 pm White skin is perfect.
Racist :roll:
I like the original black skin.

Damn, now i'm a racist too.

:hihi:
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Elektronisch wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:29 am But its also a bit because my DAW is dark grey
Racist!
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

PieBerger wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:43 am
Like I said being able to use a plugin for free forever to render is not in the best interest of anyone.
Seems to work pretty well for u-he.
Their plugins have increasingly more crackle so there's no way they're useful for rendering in demo mode.

recursive one wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:56 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:29 am But its also a bit because my DAW is dark grey
Racist!
:D

omiroad wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:22 pm
Their plugins have increasingly more crackle so there's no way they're useful for rendering in demo mode.
I had in mind when I wrote my reply that real time resampling was effectively the same as render, because for my personal workflow it is, however, I can accept that for some/most people it's a specific reference to offline-render and in this case I agree that the intermittent crackling would be problematic.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:50 pm
I had in mind when I wrote my reply that real time resampling was effectively the same as render, because for my personal workflow it is, however, I can accept that for some/most people it's a specific reference to offline-render and in this case I agree that the intermittent crackling would be problematic.
Their demos always end up crackling, in real time too.

omiroad wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:21 pm
PieBerger wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:50 pm
Their demos always end up crackling, in real time too.
Yes but it's regular and if you time it right you can comfortably record 16 bars of material. For me personally that's plenty for demo purposes and an acceptable limitation for a completely open ended trial period.
Always Read the Manual!

No demo limitation is going to be acceptable for everybody I'm afraid (except when there is no restrictions at all) :) Btw, the Mac demo has now been updated to v3.2 as well.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Return to “Instruments”