If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:07 am but in 2019 it is applications like 3DS Max, Combustion and After Effects that guide my choice of OS.
All of which run equally well on Windows as well as MacOS.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Psuper wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:20 am One thing I learned about Apple: a majority of their users will buy whatever they make, no matter the cost, sing praises regardless of how great or terrible the product is, and rinse/repeat as long as their wallet holds up.
Where did you learn that from? It just sounds like a prejudice you have to me rather than something you learned.

Michael L wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:59 am
liqih wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 am Main issue is that security is not friendly to music making. So the more you load the music software with security rules the worst is for creativity.
How?
Let's say that's just an idea I have, I think that when you use a computer to make music it's no more the same tool you use to surf the net or do office jobs. When you start to worry about security too much in music making, you loose power simply because safety rules hamper creativity in all arts.

mgw38 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:01 am
liqih wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 am Main issue is that security is not friendly to music making. So the more you load the music software with security rules the worst is for creativity.
That is a very interesting point. I am working at an academic institution and need to fight that security vs creativity fight on an almost daily basis.

But the unfortunate fact is that this is no longer a choice. Highly secure systems are a must these days.
Yeah, secure devices should mean mostly that the battery will not explode and things like that.
Anyway at an academic institution is different than at you home or studio. So for DAWs I'd rather suggest a any OS dedicated machine, off-line if your concern is cyber security, even with Atari OS if you like.

maybe if apple didn't break everything every time an update came out...
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

mgw38 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:17 am
BONES wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:07 am but in 2019 it is applications like 3DS Max, Combustion and After Effects that guide my choice of OS.
All of which run equally well on Windows as well as MacOS.
No, they don't. 3DS Max is Windows only and has been for almost 25 years. Imagine that, 25 years wringing every ounce of performance from a single OS, no compromises. While both Combustion and After Effects have versions for Mac, the reality is that neither run even fractionally as well as they do on Windows. Why? It's simple - Apple write really poor graphics drivers, especially for nVidia graphics, where nVidia themselves write excellent drivers for Windows. That results in performance that is orders of magnitude better on Windows than on Mac. In fact, Combuston runs so badly on Mac that I was once teaching a class where the graphics card couldn't even draw the UI properly (the UI is drawn in OpenGL) and half the dialog boxes had missing buttons and check-boxes.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:34 am
BlackWinny wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 pm Watch the most recent newsletter from Melda just four hours ago:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/admin.c ... 73cd82b16e

It seems that Vojtech is really thinking about dropping the Apple formats.

If you click the picture on the page above, you are driven to this... tutorial :lol: :
https://www.meldaproduction.com/text-tu ... to-windows

The last chapter says all the good that Voytech thinks about Apple.
:wink:
The whole thing is exactly the same as it ever was, you don't hear Urs complaining about OSX, and initially when he first ported to Windows you heard a lot of complaining, but that subsided. Urs is not as guilty of confirmation bias though, and that's why these types of threads are stupid, and listening to a developer who never has really gotten comfortable programming for OSX is useless. I'm not even a developer and I've seen his rants for years, and other developers trying to reason with him etc.

Truth is there are good reasons to use either platforms, end of...
Interestingly, in geaslutz the place always full of macheads and fanboys, pepole are showing a positive or supportive response toward melda's concern.

ATS wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:28 am maybe if apple didn't break everything every time an update came out...
They don't :roll:

Forgotten wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:22 am
Psuper wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:20 am One thing I learned about Apple: a majority of their users will buy whatever they make, no matter the cost, sing praises regardless of how great or terrible the product is, and rinse/repeat as long as their wallet holds up.
Where did you learn that from?
Is the dumb regurtitation of lies a skill one would need to learn? :shrug:

BlackWinny wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 pm Watch the most recent newsletter from Melda just four hours ago:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/admin.c ... 73cd82b16e

It seems that Vojtech is really thinking about dropping the Apple formats.

If you click the picture on the page above, you are driven to this... tutorial :lol: :
https://www.meldaproduction.com/text-tu ... to-windows

The last chapter says all the good that Voytech thinks about Apple.
:wink:
I'd respect him if he had the balls to drop OSX support. Instead, I'm guessing he'll just keep whining, and making snidy posts.
Anyway, I'm going to help him in his move away from Mac users. Keep a look out for some Melda goodies in the marketplace :tu:

No one should drop or back down if he cares. There is no back down when it comes to service whose attribute is equivalent to public goods or services. It's not same as potato chip which you have unlimited choices from different tastes and brands.

tooneba wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:10 am Interestingly, in geaslutz the place always full of macheads and fanboys, pepole are showing a positive or supportive response toward melda's concern.
Because they are absolutely right...
I think Vojtech is not the only one being fed up with the Apple game...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:51 am ...
Anyway, I'm going to help him in his move away from Mac users. Keep a look out for some Melda goodies in the marketplace :tu:
Meanwhile I am not so sure anymore if Apple isn´t a direct subsidiary of Scientology if judging by their followers... :clap:

Trancit wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:28 am
Meanwhile I am not so sure anymore if Apple isn´t a direct subsidiary of Scientology if judging by their followers... :clap:
Well, if you're such an idiot as to assume my entire postion regarding either Apple or Melda, from one post, then I doubt it's of any relevance what you believe :clap:

Trancit wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:28 am
Clapping yourself, well done boy. If you successfully eat a biscuit we'll throw a party.

:party:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”