Why and how are you using VU meter plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, I am a bit lost I think, just saw the Klanghelm VU meter
https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/VUMT/VUMT.php

I remember you use VU meters to gain stage in 0 dB or something like analog so that plugins work better?
But with all these RMS and VU and all these settings I am lost!

Can anyone explain whats it used for?

Thanks!

In your mix, you ideally want each track being hit with a -18dB RMS signal. If you buss multiple tracks together, you want those to hit the buss at the same -18dB RMS. Likewise, you want the master buss also being hit with a -18dB RMS signal. Why, when modern DAWs can cope with levels in the theoretical 100s of dBs? Because a) sooner or later you have to bring the signal down to the normal range that we listen to and b) although a purely digital plugin can cope with those ridiculous levels (it's just maths) the "emulation" plugins are designed to be hit with a level similar to the level that the hardware would be hit.

So bottom line, put a VU meter (don't ask about the difference between VU and RMS) at the start of each track that you are feeding a signal and adjust to around -18dB RMS before you start hitting any plugins. BTW PPM is a peak reading whereas RMS is an average over a period of time, so momentary peaks don't really count.

I'm probably wrong but this works for me anyway.

The Klanghelm VUI meter plugin is excellent and I use it all the time.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Good answer cpromt!

EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

cprompt wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:03 am In your mix, you ideally want each track being hit with a -18dB RMS signal. If you buss multiple tracks together, you want those to hit the buss at the same -18dB RMS. Likewise, you want the master buss also being hit with a -18dB RMS signal. Why, when modern DAWs can cope with levels in the theoretical 100s of dBs? Because a) sooner or later you have to bring the signal down to the normal range that we listen to and b) although a purely digital plugin can cope with those ridiculous levels (it's just maths) the "emulation" plugins are designed to be hit with a level similar to the level that the hardware would be hit.

So bottom line, put a VU meter (don't ask about the difference between VU and RMS) at the start of each track that you are feeding a signal and adjust to around -18dB RMS before you start hitting any plugins. BTW PPM is a peak reading whereas RMS is an average over a period of time, so momentary peaks don't really count.

I'm probably wrong but this works for me anyway.

The Klanghelm VUI meter plugin is excellent and I use it all the time.
Thanks a lot man! this looks very clear now! :)

I question this -18 dB RMS practice for plugins, even those that emulate analogue UNLESS the plugin docs specifically state this. I have not seen any evidence that devs code their plugins for a -18 RMS signal level where anything higher causes problems. The only plugin I've seen that documents to use -18 is Acustica Aquamarine. I have also had no issues with plugins operating higher than -18 RMS and if I do, then I turn it down. YMMV

I found this article to be informative.
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... -vu-meters

VU and PPM are virtually irrelevant in software systems (pun intended). But they do look nice. And yes, I put Klanghelm's meter on the master bus, too.

Just in case someone misses it, SOME have controls as to what DB you want to use. If you are questioning the results this might be a reason.

Googly Smythe wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:29 pm I found this article to be informative.
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... -vu-meters

VU and PPM are virtually irrelevant in software systems (pun intended). But they do look nice. And yes, I put Klanghelm's meter on the master bus, too.
This is a good point - meters are just there to measure signals. VU was just a standardized way to measure signals with analogue meters. I've moved away from these kinds of meters because they don't really convey anything meaningful. I now use loudness/perception based meters and of course peak metering.

Return to “Effects”