What instrument is this?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there,
I am deeply sorry if this is not the right subsection for this question, please move it if I have posted in the wrong section.

I have a question: What is this instrument that is playing from 00.00-00.14, i.e. the first 14 seconds.
It's a type of squeeky sound, and I am desperate to know what instrument this is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZitQP1t4bw

To me it sounds like a synth.
And the second question is: how could I achieve the same sound in my DAW?
I am using presonus studio one 4 professional.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a simple sine wave to me, with quite a fast pitch modulation. This was a common Mini-Moog patch, back in the day. I should think any synth can create this sound.
My main synth is HALion, it took me about 3 minutes to create it. And I'm an inveterate user of presets!

Thank you so much!
I am very very new to this whole thing.
I have invested in this Presonus studio one 4 DAW pro, so I have a lot of synths and virtual instruments in front of me.

Could I ask in detail how you went on with filter, env etc? Would be great if you could point me in the right direction, perhaps a screenshot of your setup in your daw(wth filters etc set)?

Also, can you tell what notes are being played? Which scale and which notes?

Thanks in advance.

Because it's a sine wave, ie pure tone and no harmonics, the filter has virtually no effect. You only need 1 osc (no sub) and the envelope (the four knobs labelled ADSR) should be similar to that used for an organ, like a square. The attack should be just slow enough to take the edge off. There should also be a little glide/portamento. The pitch should be modulated by the, er, modulation wheel. Add a bit of echo for mood.
I'm using Saurus, here, because everything's on one page.
Image1.jpg
As for the notes, sounds like a minor kind of key. This thread may help.
viewtopic.php?p=7540264
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2019-10-09 15_09_22-.png
Thank you so much. My problem is that my type of synth set up looks quite different.
Should I get something for advanced? Since I cannot figure out how I find all those options you can set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm not all familiar with studio one so I had to google XT Presence. It seems that this is a sampler, rather than a synth. So I've no idea how you would manage it using that instrument. But you don't need a complex synth for this, it's just a single osc putting out a sine wave, the simplest of all wave forms. There are plenty of free synths around, a search of KVR will show you that. Also, no 2 synths look alike, even when they do the same thing.
Also, I get the impression you don't know that much about synths. If I'm wrong, my apologies! But otherwise, youtube is stuffed with tutorials...

Yeah a sinewave with some portamento and a filter on. Just get a basic synth, set 1 osc to a sine and attach a filter and some portamento

If you're using Studio One 4 Pro, in terms of built-in instruments you probably want Mai Tai. There's a row of buttons across from the OSC labels that allow you to select which waveform to use - sine, sawtooth, triangle and square from left to right. Then you can use the modwheel to the left of the keyboard display on it for the modulation.

Sounds like a low pass filter being run over a bright keyboard. I'd say everything above like 900hz has been obliterated. Pretty simple really. As for what type of keyboard sample or effect, it sounds like a simulated Oboe in the higher octave range.

a sinewave

Definitely a synth. No acoustic instrument I know of produces that sort of sound.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

I'll have to back the first response mentioning a Mini-Moog. If you want an example that's rather close, you can use Freemoog, which has a preset called Trigger Bass. It definitely isn't exactly it, but with slight adjustments, it comes more than close.
Take care :wink:

consordini wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:18 pm I'll have to back the first response mentioning a Mini-Moog. If you want an example that's rather close, you can use Freemoog, which has a preset called Trigger Bass. It definitely isn't exactly it, but with slight adjustments, it comes more than close.
On second thought, you're better of just using the blank preset as it's decently close to the sound you're looking for and you don't have to bother with the effect Trigger Bass has. But it seems like the sound could just as easily be replicated with a plugin of your choice.
Take care :wink:

Sounds like a sine wave to me. Should be as simple as loading an unit patch, load a sine wave on 1 oscillator, reduce the attack a little, use a low pass filter to reduce higher frequencies then add some portamento so the sound "slides" in and you're done.

Who are y'all talking to, dirty necro-maniacs? Better first check the OP's posting history. Lost interest same day as signing up.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”