Uvi Falcon
74%
VPS Avenger
26%

Total votes: 235

RELATED
PRODUCTS

One Ping Only.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

felis wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:18 amHalion
Is this true in 2019 though? The fm and the distortion modes in particular seem to give falcon a big edge. Otherwise I guess they're very comparable. Maybe halion 7 could tip the scales again.

Reaper

zoidkirb wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:25 am
felis wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:18 amHalion
Is this true in 2019 though? The fm and the distortion modes in particular seem to give falcon a big edge. Otherwise I guess they're very comparable. Maybe halion 7 could tip the scales again.
Falcon is a work of art and just sounds amazing. But right out of the box, Halion is a workhorse. Not the easiest layout, but, IMHO, easier to come to grips with than Falcon.

Combine the two, and you could rule the world... :hihi:
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Halion has dongle nonsense though, and Avenger now, too, if you don't want to be always-online with your DAW setup (Avenger at least allows three installations at once, AFAIK). Falcon doesn't have that, and also was not cracked (ilok software), unlike Avenger. Avenger has a VST3 version, Falcon still not. Avenger (namely the GUI code) is not stable on macos, and Falcon is rock-solid. Personally I trust the stable synth, since a regularly crashing synth is pretty annoying to use. Avenger is more opened regarding fx routing, Falcon is pretty restricted here. Both come with a lot of high quality fx, but Falcon prevents free routing of it, so it might be useless then in a DAW routing/mixing context. Falcon has no demo version, Avenger provides a demo for a deep testing and a well thought decision. It might be stable for you, too, esp. on Windows. The Falcon team is bigger than the Avenger team, and Falcon has a long history (in it's core it came from MOTU MachFive, so actually it is as old as Halion). Pricing seems to be fair to me for both. Both provide a lot of commercial high quality preset libraries. Falcon also is a real replacement for Kontakt, a fully capable hdd-streaming sampler (with a much better GUI than Kontakt), Avenger not (no hdd streaming etc., but the GUI also is great).

Reopening this a couple of years after, both supersynths still rule the world (with Kontakt and Halion).
Avenger still crashes (very rarely) and falcon doesn't.
Both are still super powerful with continuously added features (and avenger 2 coming!).
Avenger still has an EDM only marketing (and can obviously do much much more).

Both are still painful to use to create patches from scratch and I really don't see myself using them for that when phase plant is so much more intuitive. Yet, when I am trying to create the same patch with falcon and PP, the falcon one end up sounding better (but that's maybe just me).

Looks like Halion might be winning now. Amazing how things change in just over 3 years...

First page of this thread is like a party for banned users.

My vote is for ‘Nexus’.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

kritikon wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:12 am Looks like Halion might be winning now. Amazing how things change in just over 3 years...
Interesting, what is your favourite Halion feature ? Or is it the ease of use / GUI ? (I don't have it).

revvy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:49 am First page of this thread is like a party for banned users.

My vote is for ‘Nexus’.
What do you love in Nexus? I don't see it often commented...
I'd like this feature: "Vector-Based GUI" to be more common though ...

Jac459 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:55 am
revvy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:49 am First page of this thread is like a party for banned users.

My vote is for ‘Nexus’.
What do you love in Nexus? I don't see it often commented...
I'd like this feature: "Vector-Based GUI" to be more common though ...
I’m sure both choices in the poll are better ‘synths’ than Nexus which definitely started life as a rompler (though I’d argue that 4.5 makes it a synth) and my answer was tongue-in-cheek.

However, I do love Nexus. Wonderful sound, awesome thematic XPs, shitloads of sounds in an easy library, great arps and seqs. Inspiration in a box for me. Love the GUI too.

For starting a sound from Init I use stuff like Sylenth or TAL 101. But I’m old skool so might be a bit weird and outdated in my choices.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:03 am
... and my answer was tongue-in-cheek.

However, I do love Nexus. Wonderful sound, awesome thematic XPs, shitloads of sounds in an easy library, great arps and seqs. Inspiration in a box for me. Love the GUI too.

For starting a sound from Init I use stuff like Sylenth or TAL 101. But I’m old skool so might be a bit weird and outdated in my choices.
Ah ok haha... I don't use a lot of romplers in my workflow, maybe that's why I never dig on nexus side...

I discovered TAL recently (as they support CLAP) and I must say I love their GUI and ease of use.
But since a couple of months, I am all into TWIN 3 for substractive synthesis. The GUI and ease of sculpting a sound is so engaging... Now even Phase Plant (which was my previous favourite) seems old...

Jac459 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:08 am But since a couple of months, I am all into TWIN 3 for substractive synthesis. The GUI and ease of sculpting a sound is so engaging... Now even Phase Plant (which was my previous favourite) seems old...
You are enjoying Twin 3 and Phase Plant seems old to you. :o

a9k1tp wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:34 am You are enjoying Twin 3 and Phase Plant seems old to you. :o
Well... Chronologically I am factually right...

Then again, I am talking about UI, ease of use, ergonomic. If ergonomic and workflow were not important, I would even not talk about Phase Plant and work 100% of the time with Falcon... But it is.
When I am on subtractive synthesis, I don't know why I would go to phase plant when Twin3 offer so much visual responsiveness and quality of filters...
Of course, for everything else :-).... I go to Pigment or Phase Plant...

If you use a lot of samples, Falcon, for everything else, and I'm so not into EDM, Avenger

Return to “Instruments”