Roland Cloud down for maintenance so my products are unauthorized?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know if this is just a coincidence but my Roland Cloud products are currently unauthorized and it's not accepting my password. Going online to check my account says it's undergoing maintenance. I'm really getting sick of constantly having the products being unauthorized when I open a project and then suddenly being authorized again. Sometimes it won't authorize and then sometimes weirdly it will re-authorize if I'm on vpn but won't when I'm not. It's just too unpredictable. I don't want to be prompted every couple weeks for a password, this is just crap.

Anyone else having issues?

I just booted up and Roland Cloud asked for creds and then said it was down for maintenance. However by the time I'd loaded Cubase and loaded a RC VSTi it did manage to authorise ok.
This does make me cognizant that I could never risk depending on these plugins live though.

Yep a while later I opened a project with roland plugins and now it authorized after I put my username and password in. This is totally unacceptable though that it's possible not to be able to use the plugins you have licenses for, especially given that it de-authorized them so often and you have to sign in again to re-authorize. I think I'll be done with Cloud sub after this year.

welcome to the fabulous world of software. here's a few lessons i had to learn when migrating from hardware. 1: the first rule of software is you own NOTHING. i cannot stress that enough. a license gives you the right to borrow the software, which can be taken away without explanation at any time, and it says so in contract you agree to. 2: things like "cloud" and third party bloat "protection" should be a avoided at all costs. personally, i never bought into a "cloud" arrangement, and i make sure anything "cloud" is turned the f**k off on my computer. what did you expect to happen when you bought in? it's on the f**king cloud. 3: software NEVER... i mean NEVER... works as intended. it's technology. technology is buggy.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 pm welcome to the fabulous world of software. here's a few lessons i had to learn when migrating from hardware. 1: the first rule of software is you own NOTHING. i cannot stress that enough. a license gives you the right to borrow the software, which can be taken away without explanation at any time, and it says so in contract you agree to. 2: things like "cloud" and third party bloat "protection" should be a avoided at all costs.
A needed DRM reality check and well put. Do not purchase anything that can be disabled with an internet outage or company folding. DRM is not acceptable.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 pm welcome to the fabulous world of software. here's a few lessons i had to learn when migrating from hardware. 1: the first rule of software is you own NOTHING. i cannot stress that enough. a license gives you the right to borrow the software, which can be taken away without explanation at any time, and it says so in contract you agree to. 2: things like "cloud" and third party bloat "protection" should be a avoided at all costs. personally, i never bought into a "cloud" arrangement, and i make sure anything "cloud" is turned the f**k off on my computer. what did you expect to happen when you bought in? it's on the f**king cloud. 3: software NEVER... i mean NEVER... works as intended. it's technology. technology is buggy.
Well I've been using software primarily since 2000 (when Reason 1.0 came out). Half dozen DAWs and a zillion VSTs since. Never had an issue like this before. So yeah it's the subscription aspect that is the issue. It's the authorization method. The fact that it is a subscription indeed means that it would need to know that you are currently licensed to use it (as opposed to a perpetual license). I actually only signed up because we were promised two permanent licenses after a year, however now I'm thinking that it will likely use the same authorization method and require me to keep on authorizing even though it's permanent. Indeed it's total crap and not worth dealing with at all.

You know what you are talking about attic. My point is I don't engage in anything that forces me on the web to use. I actually turn my internet OFF after install. There is a reason for that. It's a balancing act.

You don't have a product.

Oh well lesson learned. First and last time I'll do a subscription license, even if permanent licenses are included. The roland/virtual sonics people are absolute crap support anyways. They never updated the original plugouts which are the same damn software but way earlier versions. They didn't care about reports of the 303 not working in certain hosts (said they only tests with 3 hosts) so they wouldn't look into it. I highly recommend everyone to not go Roland Cloud!

But damn do the classic boxes (303, 808, 909) sound good and a fair bit better than other offerings like from d16, which actual nice readable GUIs. Hopefully d16 update those soon.

I worry about this with NI Maschine and Komplete. If they went bust and their Native Access went down we would never be able to install their software again
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

I have to agree. Definitely rethinking the subscription. The support is crap. I have reported numerous issues and have not seen a single fix since l started last December. Only arrogant replies to my reports. I like the plugs, but they just don't get it.

JamminFool wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 am I like the plugs, but they just don't get it.
Sums it up for me. I rate the Roland plugs highly, but any tiny issue like starting up a Vsti during last nights scheduled maintenance sours things.

However, it is what it is and you only have to commit a month at a time. I guess it’s take it or leave it.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 pm welcome to the fabulous world of software. here's a few lessons i had to learn when migrating from hardware. 1: the first rule of software is you own NOTHING. i cannot stress that enough. a license gives you the right to borrow the software, which can be taken away without explanation at any time, and it says so in contract you agree to. 2: things like "cloud" and third party bloat "protection" should be a avoided at all costs. personally, i never bought into a "cloud" arrangement, and i make sure anything "cloud" is turned the f**k off on my computer. what did you expect to happen when you bought in? it's on the f**king cloud. 3: software NEVER... i mean NEVER... works as intended. it's technology. technology is buggy.
A bit unfair to other software. Most software will not instantly stop working because the servers are down for a few minutes. Roland Cloud is different since it's a subscription model. Evidently, Roland Cloud needs to phone home every time you run it to make sure you're still subscribed. Even the loyalty "perpetual" license they gave out came with some pretty severe fine print allowing Roland to terminate the license at their discretion.

That's different from most software licenses, which give you the perpetual right to use the software as long as you don't break the terms of the EULA. Most software only needs to talk to a server when you activate it on a new system. Many plugins can be activated offline with just a keyfile or serial.

Yep, that also happened to me in the short time i was on their subscription. Servers down while i needed to work on a track.
Ah well, plenty of other and better alternatives.

Btw : Other subscriptions work different and much better. It's just Roland Cloud that's lame.
More BPM please

electro wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 am
Dasheesh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 pm welcome to the fabulous world of software. here's a few lessons i had to learn when migrating from hardware. 1: the first rule of software is you own NOTHING. i cannot stress that enough. a license gives you the right to borrow the software, which can be taken away without explanation at any time, and it says so in contract you agree to. 2: things like "cloud" and third party bloat "protection" should be a avoided at all costs.
A needed DRM reality check and well put. Do not purchase anything that can be disabled with an internet outage or company folding. DRM is not acceptable.
This is my rule of thumb. I've even gone so far as moving to linux and using WINE and open source programs as much as possible. There are some programs that I can't escape from using, but by far I have most everything completely recoverable and not dependent upon any authorization more than a serial or a keycode. See my tagline below my post that I've had for years for my philosophy on it. ;-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Instruments”