Can someone explain to me the function of a compressor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:51 pm
jethrobull wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 pm
Mozex wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:35 pm Lol now I ask advice and I get this is answer. I will just download the plugins and figure it out :tu:
it's difficult to explain without images.
at it's most basic level it is used to control dynamic ranges.
what that means in practice depends on the material in question. and what the users wants.

so really, the best option is to pick one of the compressors, then find as many youtube vids for that particular compressor, this will make it easier to follow a tutorial.
then once you feel more confident with compression, you can look at others and see where the differences lay.
What the hell is a compressor? :scared:
i use one post mincer, to get rid of victims.
:hihi:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Over a given period of time, in a signal, there'll be a change in volume from one volume level to another, which is effectively a slope. Compressors basically make that slope more or less steep dependent on how steep it currently is.

The traditional use was to 'even out' fast changes in volume level. Nowadays its also used for making individual sounds more pronounced, or even for changes in timbre (eg when emulating the timbral 'character' of certain real-world compressors)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Image 1: Original signal
Image 2: Squashed (ie, compressed signal)
Image 3: Squashed signal now boosted, resulting in moar moarness (ie, 11)

Don't be confused when you read a compressor makes things louder, it doesn't. They reduce the signal in order to free up headroom into which you can increase the volume.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:14 pm Image
Simple, but effective graphic :tu:

A compressor compresses things, an expander expands things.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:20 pm A compressor compresses things, an expander expands things.
You should write for Cubase's manual. :D

elxsound wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:52 pm @chk071, sooner or later you are going to have to come to terms with fact that you only exist in the minds of others. You have no self, no “life” no other worth in any matter of meaning... you only exist to serve others. :clown:
The sad realization of life as it is on the internet. :(

Anyway, it's not as if i didn't do my job here. I pointed to the world of wisdom revealed by the almighty Google machine. :P

Googly Smythe wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:33 pm
Kongru wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:20 pm A compressor compresses things, an expander expands things.
You should write for Cubase's manual. :D
:lol:
Fernando (FMR)

I use this one:

Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

What do you use if you work in the evenings though? Hyunight?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

:monocle:

A compressor is the second most important signal manipulator and the hardest to learn. It will take you years before you feel you can command them properly. The smallest amount of information you need to know to use a compressor competently is several pages long.

Watch a few videos, read a few articles, spend a few hours. Best recommendation: start getting the hang of very simple compressors, like start with SLAX.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:14 pm [img]
Don't be confused when you read a compressor makes things louder, it doesn't. They reduce the signal in order to free up headroom into which you can increase the volume.
Should note that perceptual loudness is about average as opposed to peak. So the squashed signal, when brought up to the same peak, will sound louder.

dirtysnow wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:40 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:14 pm [img]
Should note that perceptual loudness is about average as opposed to peak. So the squashed signal, when brought up to the same peak, will sound louder.
I would agree with this, except to say...
...And that's called compensation. Having to do that is what you might call a consequence of compression.
I'm feeling picky tonite. :D

The function of an audio signal compressor is to bring up the noise floor and destroy transients. :D

Return to “Effects”