Modal Craft Synth 2 is Out

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had the first serious play around in ages with my Craft last night and it just confirmed how much I really like it. It is amazingly versatile and it sounds incredible, whether it's doing a tinkly little arp or a filthy great cinematic pad. I definitely like it a lot more than Skulpt, it feels a whole lot more capable to me, which makes me think that I might end up with an Argon8, if I can think of a way to integrate it into my system. (Maybe I'll ditch the Analog Keys for it?)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

This could go well together with my Waldorf Rocket :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

There is actually a really bad video on YT where some idiot compares Craft Synth 2.0 to a Rocket. The two are definitely different enough to complement one another. I thought I'd miss my Rocket but I don't at all. Without patch memory it was just a chore.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yeah they are not the same of course. By the way you can save patches on the Rocket by holding down the button(?)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Frist I totally disregarded it because digital mono hardware seemed a bit absurd too me

But it seems to be quite a nice sounding synth actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=262Ei8h5vUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jkTx-J7cd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEWzhESrO2w

Something that I could buy just because it's fun and it's cheaper than many plugin synths and because it has knobs :)

Is it just a mono version of Skulpt or do they have different engines? Seems that they both may be controlled by the same app/plugin (which seems to support Win7 which is a big plus :tu: )
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Good grief! That's more than two hours of video. My attention span on YouTube is about 5 minutes, max. This is a completely different synth to Skulpt. They look a little bit alike and the filter is similar but that's about as far as it goes. The Modal app is VST3 only so your host will need to support that. It's usable without it, though.

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:05 am Good grief! That's more than two hours of video. My attention span on YouTube is about 5 minutes, max.
:D You're not alone I guess, but I had these vids playing on background while doing some office work. Some nice sounds in there
BONES wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:05 am This is a completely different synth to Skulpt. They look a little bit alike and the filter is similar but that's about as far as it goes.
Thanks, good to know. I think you have both, don't you? Which one do you like more?
BONES wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:05 am The Modal app is VST3 only so your host will need to support that.
Mine does (Studio One)

I think I'd have to go for the Craft 2.0. It's just more satisfying to work with somehow and I don't much care about polyphony.

Okay, thanks. Yeah, seems to be a cool little synth :)

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 am I had the first serious play around in ages with my Craft last night and it just confirmed how much I really like it. It is amazingly versatile and it sounds incredible, whether it's doing a tinkly little arp or a filthy great cinematic pad. I definitely like it a lot more than Skulpt, it feels a whole lot more capable to me, which makes me think that I might end up with an Argon8, if I can think of a way to integrate it into my system. (Maybe I'll ditch the Analog Keys for it?)
The Skulpt has way deeper routings to this one but this Craft its damn sweet man I can get lot of nice stuff quick.its not the sw wavetable its not turbo powerful but I really like the sound more from this its sounds more alive.Both with skulpt they have their uses compliment each other.Mine craft is very noisey tough is it yours as well?4

How does the VST midi clock sync work for you?
I can't get the arpeggiator to work in sync with the DAW's transport controls (play/stop) properly. Sometimes it starts from the first note in sync. But most of the time it starts from the second note and randomly timing offset which evens out after a couple of presses on the DAW's stop button. Tested in Ableton Live and FL Studio.
However, the Arp sync works fine when using DAW's native tools and enabling midi device + sync in its settings.
But VST doesn't work with DAW's midi devices/controllers settings because they're conflicting with each other. You can only choose VST or DAW's sync control over Craftsynth.

Dunno, never tried it. I've never even hooked it up to my laptop.

Thanks for feedback Bones. But I want feedback from people in my position.

Just wanted you to know you weren't being ignored.

Finally consider getting one myself, really dig the sound.

I'll be mostly controlling/recording it from my DAW via the Modal App plugin over USB. Any known bugs/hardware flaws in this scenario?

I see people compalining here about the arp doesn't sync to DAW, that's not good. Is that a common issue?

I'm on Win10, Studio One 3.5.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”