Behringer Crave

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not their resonant bass sounds. Minimoog oscillators are huge, which is what makes the filter so disappointing. A lowly Korg PoySix beats the pants off it, despite having a way weaker oscillator.
Elektronisch wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 amWe did gave you cogent argument it just doesnt convince you
No, you didn't. Here's a good example from you - " i have Uno, it sounds great, but Crave has other advantages." That was the end of the post, no attempt to mention any of those advantages, when I had listed 5 advantages of Uno. I assume that was because there are none and you know it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:18 am Not their resonant bass sounds. Minimoog oscillators are huge, which is what makes the filter so disappointing. A lowly Korg PoySix beats the pants off it, despite having a way weaker oscillator.
Elektronisch wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 amWe did gave you cogent argument it just doesnt convince you
No, you didn't. Here's a good example from you - " i have Uno, it sounds great, but Crave has other advantages." That was the end of the post, no attempt to mention any of those advantages, when I had listed 5 advantages of Uno. I assume that was because there are none and you know it.
here you go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You guys make me feel wise and mature.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 am You guys make me feel wise and mature.
You obviously haven’t spent enough time around here yet then... :hihi:

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 am You guys make me feel wise and mature.

funny name for your balls....

AnX wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 pm

:lol:

Presumably mature is the droopy, low hanging one.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:29 pm jesus f**king christ that's cheap :o
Yep that's about in one
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Presumably mature is the droopy, low hanging one.
...and wise...?

Way too rich for my blood. Not even going to quote.

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:18 am Not their resonant bass sounds. Minimoog oscillators are huge, which is what makes the filter so disappointing. A lowly Korg PoySix beats the pants off it, despite having a way weaker oscillator.
I disagree. Loads of prominent high resonance bass sounds from Moogs in any kind of music.

I always thought it's rather a drop in volume, than a drop in bass anyway. And, yes, that's a typical characteristic of the Moog ladder filters, but, there are ways to "fix" that. Even though i hardly do resonant sweeps anyway, rather frequency sweeps. So, it doesn't really matter. The important part for me is the character of the filter, and, it's just lovely.

Yeah but it's at the expense of the bottom end, which is the wrong behaviour. Just check the two spots in that video I linked to, you can hear the bottom end drop out and then come flooding back in. It's really obvious and makes it really restrictive.

Think about how it works - when you turn up the resonance and modulate the filter with an envelope, the expected behaviour is that the resonant peak, which occurs around the cut-off frequency, should sweep up and down with the cutoff modulation. That means a good filter will have the top-end resonant "squeal" early in the cycle but as the envelope closes the filter, the resonant peak should sweep down and boost the bottom end, giving it that overall "squelchy" sound that makes resonant basslines work. When everything but the squeal (John Scalzi reference) is gone, you end up with something that makes for a pretty poor bassline.

I was doing a bit of playing around last night with the PolySix VSTi and Legend and the two work almost in the opposite way. If you want more bottom end in a PolySIx bass sound, you turn the resonance up. If you want more bottom end in Legend, you turn the resonance down. The filter in PolySix has the effect of making the oscillator sound bigger that it would otherwise, where the filter in Legend can only make it sound "smaller" (if you know what I mean).

I have to admit that I generally prefer the sound of the PolySix's filter overall. I think it's down to the width of the resonant peak. In Legend it's comparatively narrow, where in PolySIx it affects more of the sound which makes it sound more like a part of the original timbre, where Legend loses that original tone as you add more resonance so you end up with something much less harmonically rich.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Elektronisch wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 amhere you go
Those aren't advantages, they are just differences. Even the price difference is hardly an advantage, as it's only a few bucks at best. OTOH, Uno's double the number of oscillators with double the number of waveforms, it's 33.33% better envelope - ADSR v ADS, plus the fact that it has twice the number of envelopes, it's LFO with 3.5 times more waveforms to choose from and it's patch memory are all things that can only be seen as advantages and completely negate the few bucks you might save on purchase price. Then you can add in micro-tuning, a delay effect an LED display, 40 front panel controls and a multi-platform editor/librarian app/VSTi.

Another question that needs to be answered with Crave is how it stays in tune? Does anyone know?

BONES wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:26 am It's not what you said so much as the way you said it, which implied you weren't interested in Uno or Crave because they were cheap. I'm the opposite, I love things that are cheap and see little value in most expensive synths, soft or hard. I could never imagine spending more than Au$1000 (US$600) on a hardware synth and that is all down to the fact that things like Uno and Crave exist for less than $200. I spent US$800 on Analog Keys but if Uno had been around then, I doubt I'd have even been looking. Same with software, I've never spent more than $100 on any plugin and can't imagine that I ever will, simply because the stuff I can get for under $100 is spectacularly good and more than meets my needs.
Sorry I’m late responding to this. It’s been a crazy week so far!

It certainly wasn’t my intention to use a snobbish tone. I’ve got a pile of Volcas here and a Monotron Delay, which I love! Of course, those Korg boxes were kind of the start of the whole cheap analog craze, and we do have Korg to thank in no small part for the resurgence of analog synths. I guess I look at the Crave or the M-32 and compare it to one of my synths from an earlier era, the Futureretro 777. Now, that isn’t a perfect synth either and lacks certain modern amenities, so no need to point them out to me. But in terms of basic sound at a sub-$1000 price point, it makes me feel like they just don’t build ’em like they used to. Of course, even as I write these words, my mind wanders to the new Behringer Pro-1. Maybe it’s really just the Crave and Uno which don’t do it for me.

As for spending ridiculous sums on premium hardware synths, it only takes a little practice. You just need to learn to switch off that part of your brain that stops you from making irrational and impulsive decisions, at least long enough to complete an online transaction. Sorry, FedEx at the door, gotta run!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Back in the day I used to spend anything from $3,000 to well over $5,000 a year on gear. But that was always because I had to and it was an easy habit to break when I started working on PC. That said, I've easily spent more than $5k in the last couple of years, too, with all these great low-price, tiny new hardware synths that are around (although none of Korg's Volca stuff has interested me at all). They are so cheap I often just buy 'em to see if they are any good, rather than do any exhaustive investigations into whether or not they might be useful for me.

I don't think I have so much as seen a 777, let alone heard one. Listening to the Perfect Circuit video on it, I can sort of see the appeal but, personally, I don't like its sound at all. It's way too 303ish for my liking. Nice snappy envelopes, though. It doesn't look like it has any patch memory, is that right? OTOH, listening to PC's Uno demo (because PC do the best audio demos), it sounds like all the old 70's Devo demos they released on CD in 1990, which is right up my alley. In fact, it instantly took me back to a moment in HMV in Chatswood when I was holding that CD in my hand.

Maybe I need to wait for Perfect Circuit to do a Crave demo before I write it off completely?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”