UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I just updated to Mac OS Catalina and neither Falcon nor UVI Workstation will now load in standalone mode. Both give an error message "Error initializing Audio Device. An error occurred while initializing Built-In Output." When I click through the dialogue boxes, I get a "Falcon quit unexpectedly" dialogue box. They do continue to work as plugins within my DAWs. Anyone else experiencing these issues?

UPDATE 12-3-19: I upgraded to the new 16" MBP last week and installed Falcon on a fresh load of Catalina. Falcon works flawlessly. It seems that Falcon won't work if you already have it installed and upgrade to Catalina, but it works great the other way around. The problems arise as Catalina is installed over the old version of the MacOS.
Last edited by nmortho on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

You shouldn't have updated to Catalina just yet. Many audio plugin vendors advise against it. Roll back if you can.

Not critical, but just surprising as Falcon 2.0 was actually released AFTER Catalina. No problems at all with Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Synthogy, or Arturia instruments. Only ones with issues so far are GForce, Garritan, and UVI.

nmortho wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:37 pm Not critical, but just surprising as Falcon 2.0 was actually released AFTER Catalina. No problems at all with Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Synthogy, or Arturia instruments. Only ones with issues so far are GForce, Garritan, and UVI.
One would assume that UVI did not code the update to 2.0 between Catalina launch date and Falcon release date.
One would assume on the other hand that UVI had access to beta versions but is well known that Apple will always change something so drastic between the beta(s) and final release, so it makes little sense for a dev to ensure compatibility with a beta version of macOS.
Depending on what software one owns, Catalina can be a smooth update or a big disaster (with all the radical changes in this version)

nmortho wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:24 pm I just updated to Mac OS Catalina and neither Falcon nor UVI Workstation will now load in standalone mode. Both give an error message "Error initializing Audio Device. An error occurred while initializing Built-In Output." When I click through the dialogue boxes, I get a "Falcon quit unexpectedly" dialogue box. They do continue to work as plugins within my DAWs. Anyone else experiencing these issues?
There’s always one, isn’t there...

Literally must’ve received an email from every plugin company telling us not to update to Catalina...

simmo75 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:48 am Literally must’ve received an email from every plugin company telling us not to update to Catalina...
My grandmother called me a couple weeks ago and the conversation went something like this:

Gram: "Did you get the email?"
Me: "Wha?"
Gram: "The email. The email about Catalina."
Me: "What email? What are you talking about?"
Gram: "Catalina! What ever you do... don't upgrade to Catalina!"
Me: "Oh. Ok. Uh... thanks?"
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Call me insane, foolish, or both.. I updated day one and have had zero issues using anything in Catalina so far (music production wise). Falcon standalone included.

Maybe Ortisan can chime in on this (or any of you power uses here).

I have some questions about the Drum Sequencer script:

1. Can there be multiple patterns on 1 sequencer script? Initially, it looks like there is only one pattern per script. This goes into my next question...

2. Shouldn't Page 1-4 open up 4 different sequencer pages? I assumed that the 4 different pages meant that 4 different patterns were available that were assigned to different MIDI keys as it is in Drum Designer.

3. What is Script event modulation tab for?

4. In the Settings tab, what is Slice for?

5. Is there an ability to load MIDI Map or currently we would have to just save an entire preset and reload it as we wish?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

2. Pages just show you more steps of that single sequence.

3. Script event modulation tab sends a scripted event to which "Script event modulation" modulator will respond, if you use it in the instrument.

4. Help text says "Multiple play notes for all bars".

5. The latter.

There seems to be a bug in Drum Sequencer script where changing pages doesn't work on Velocity tab when you instantiate the script, until you try switching pages from some other tabs, like Pitch or Script Event Modulation...

FWIW, You can lock or not the current MIDI map when loading a kit though.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

qoyl wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:55 am Call me insane, foolish, or both.. I updated day one and have had zero issues using anything in Catalina so far (music production wise). Falcon standalone included.
You're insane foolish or both. :hihi:
You could be just lucky as well.

Owning VEP, Metasynth, MidiPipe, an old version of MS Office, Aria Player, etc. I would lose or have to update too many things as of now.

1. Can there be multiple patterns on 1 sequencer script? Initially, it looks like there is only one pattern per script. This goes into my next question...
No, but you can stack drum sequencer scripts and assign them to an unique note.
2. Shouldn't Page 1-4 open up 4 different sequencer pages? I assumed that the 4 different pages meant that 4 different patterns were available that were assigned to different MIDI keys as it is in Drum Designer.
There is only one sequence of 8 bars, splited in 4 pages, as in DD.
There seems to be a bug in Drum Sequencer script where changing pages doesn't work on Velocity tab when you instantiate the script, until you try switching pages from some other tabs, like Pitch or Script Event Modulation...
I can't reproduce, did you disabled event link ? thanks !
Louis Couka
http://louiscouka.net/ (under construction)

Seems completely broken over here. I expected when I click on pages 2-4 that the steps would go empty so that I could draw new values in for other bars?
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Also, tooltip for the link multiplier has a typo. "Link Edition Multiplier". Proper English is "Editing". "Edition" is something else. I've seen this in a few other places on Falcon GUI, should be text replaced :)

Oh wait, I see. It is "Event Link" after all, as you've suggested. This is a wrongly named parameter then. It should say "Link Value Editing", maybe, or "Repeat Events Every". Then it's much clearer and not confusing like it is now.

Also maybe this parameter should be set to "Off" by default.

Return to “Instruments”