HOWTO macOS notarization (plugins, app, pkg installers)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Strange... it should work fine. Have you tried doing the process on the internal Mac drive instead?

I'm sure I've had normal successfully code signed stuff fail with spctl before.

discoDSP wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:42 am Strange... it should work fine. Have you tried doing the process on the internal Mac drive instead?
Yeah, weird. I've just tried on the internal Mac drive too like you said, no luck, the same "rejected" thing.

quikquak wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 am I'm sure I've had normal successfully code signed stuff fail with spctl before.
How did you solve that?

It was for AAX signing. Everything worked just fine in ProTools, so I've just shrugged and ignored it. I have no explanation for the trouble, sorry.

Notarization of the same .pkg files are accepted in macOS Catalina :) Weird. I think there is a glitch in Mojave with spctl.
Anyways, now it looks ok for now.

Great to know :tu:

First of all a big thanks to George for this thread! :)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this, but here is something I found interesting: I've just notarized our existing Kee Bass PKG that we've published a few days ago, without re-uploading it to our website. Before I did this Catalina didn't accept my installer, but now it seems it does. This seems to suggest that the user needs an internet connection, because how else can Apple check if an existing installer is now notarized?

:shrug: Perhaps it's an internal Apple error? You know they'll never admit to it, because, Shareholders... :D :D :D

Tale wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:31 pmThis seems to suggest that the user needs an internet connection, because how else can Apple check if an existing installer is now notarized?
Actually this most likely because I'm too lazy to re-upload the stapled PKG. If I would do that, then I guess the user won't need an internet connection.

Thanks George for posting this. Does anyone know when this will become relevant? I installed OS X 10.15 Catalina and while this rendered most DAWs unusable, our plugins seem to run just fine in e.g. Logic Pro.

EDIT: Never mind, the packages no longer open. Oddly enough, that worked for me in the 10.15 public beta, so maybe something changed in the actual release.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

So far no complains from the user's side.
However i don't trust the peace here. One point is that currently all users seem to have migrated from 10.14 and did not do a fresh install.
Secondly Apple still seems to run some kind of 'grace period' which might soon stop working all kind of plugins soon.

I successfully have been running through the notarisation process. It was a big hassle and did cost me one day. Once again Apple's tools are buggy. It could not handle quotations for the username and passwords (they prospect this) correctly and did return weird error messages. I was in touch with Apple twice and they could not explain it. Then i found out that it works with leaving out the quotations.

I furthermore found out this:
The code-signing does not longer allow references to other files within the .component file

And this:
There is also another bug in Apple's tools: The certificate for code 'was not found' although is was present on my system. I had to delete the certificate, download another one from Apple and install it again. Then it worked
Last edited by Markus Krause on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

One thing is not clear to me: Code signing is mandatory now. But what does/will happen with old plugins which are not code-signed?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I haven't looked too much into it yet, but I assume codesigning a component or vst3 requires I pay Apple $99 a year as well? My plugins also still work for me on 10.15 without codesigning, but so far there is 1 complaint about it not working.
Markus Krause wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 am One thing is not clear to me: Code signing is mandatory now. But what does/will happen with old plugins which are not code-signed?
You'll get complaints of the plugin not loading, like this (https://itch.io/t/581581/mac-sees-nimble-kick-as-spam-and-cant-open-in-ableton).

Missterious wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:15 pm I haven't looked too much into it yet, but I assume codesigning a component or vst3 requires I pay Apple $99 a year as well?
Yeah, you will need an Apple developer account to codesign.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”