How to get this tone please

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I don't have much experience with amps and pedals etc, I'd like to get close to tone https://soundcloud.com/overloud/blues-t ... /sets/th-u. I have an SRV Strat which will help, if you could just point me in the right direction please, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Hard work, perseverance and 10 years playing smoke filled clubs.
Or...
A strat with the pickup selector stuck between the bridge and middle pickups, a Fender-style amp, and pick hard, to make the string slap against the fretboard.

And a wah pedal

Thanks,

I know a lot is in the fingers but the tonal quality of that is what I'm after. I don't hear any wah though.

I was hoping to find the preset in TH-U or in one of the add on packs but I can't, it's a shame it's in the demo sounds for TH-U on the Overloud website and not available.

Cheers

Phil

GMC_Phil wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:05 am Thanks,

I know a lot is in the fingers but the tonal quality of that is what I'm after.
I don't think you can separate the two here. The amp only distorts like this if and when there's a high input and you wouldn't get much distortion without it being picked hard like that (and hot pickups, which you have). If you simply raise the gain on the amp you get a completely different tone/distortion (because here it only distorts like that during the peaks). While I can't play nearly like that I have a rather hard pick too and I can run into troubles (with both my family and the neighbours) at night just soloing with my Strat without being plugged in at all because it's getting so loud.
Last edited by jens on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

hit quote instead of edit... :dog:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

And yes, there's no wah at all.

Thanks for your help,

I have a real Blues Deluxe Reissue combo with a JHS Little Black Amp Box and can get similar tones through that but can't seem to get it through TH-U and my Tannoy studio monitors. Big learning curve I guess.

Cheers

Phil

Oh, I see...

how much (and what kind of) difference is there if you compare a recording of your Blue Deluxe with the same playing through TH-U? (perhaps/ideally using a splitter or so to record both from the same actual performance)

What I - generally speaking - can't stress enough is how important a good input solution is. Personally I swear by my AudioFuse which for me is the best solution at all (because it internally really switches to a real instrument input) - before that I used a really good DI-box (Radial J48) which would be my second best choice. Using something inadequate (most interfaces) can make a day and night difference.

Sure sounds like wah from 1:00 to 1:10. I don't hear him "clicking in the wah" and the tone seems identical with smooth tone transition right before he starts wah-ing. So possibly he has a wah enabled and using it as static tone control over a wider stretch of the song. Dunno my ears were never golden or even tin. Several parts of the song do sound selectively static band boosted as could happen either from static wah, EQ, or any number of other fx including effed-up cab mic placement. :)

I haven't actually recorded the Blues Deluxe but going from my (rather poor) ear, I seem to get that gentle break up easier. Is there an "amp in the room" setting for TH-U? I also run a Helix and Chad Boston created an EQ to give amp in room characteristics. I guess there are so many variables it's a case of pressing and guessing and turning and learning.

Regarding input, I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8.

Regarding the wah, I've only played the first few seconds of that patch and it was enough for me to say "I want that tone" so I haven't got to the 1:00 mark.

Thanks again.

Phil

It's not really hard.

Single coil guitar with new 0.11+ strings > fuzz pedal > fender style amp > aggressive picking

Don't forget that most of the tone is in the fingers, not gear.

Yeah I know most of it is in the fingers. I have a tone near to that in my Helix, I need to look at the settings in that patch and take it from there I think. Why didn't I think of that before? Doh!

Thanks folks and any more input greatly received.

Phil

Yes, of course - there's a wah later on... I didn't listen far enough into the track... :oops:

I don't know if they improved it later on, but the Scarlett I once had (1st gen. 8i6), imo didn't have a proper instrument input.

Did you try boosting the Dumble emu? I think that may get you in the ballpark.

Return to “Effects”