One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:06 am +++ El Submission +++
Peter:H [ featuring a track by El Oficinista Del Infierno.

... I thought, these guys shout angry/agressive lyrics at me and I don't get a single word what it's all about... What if these guys sing about their frustrating 9-to-5 office job?
One of my all time favorite inspirational bands for Spanish lyrics has always been Brujaria.
You don't have understand the lyrics to get a lot of what they are about:-)
"youtube.com/watch?v=elkEwwkxSoo"

I removed the link tags. So we wouldn't have to see the image.
Last edited by mclstr on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

That's so nice, Peter, going the extra mile on the analysis! Awesome! :tu:

mclstr wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:30 am
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:06 am +++ El Submission +++
Peter:H [ featuring a track by El Oficinista Del Infierno.

... I thought, these guys shout angry/agressive lyrics at me and I don't get a single word what it's all about... What if these guys sing about their frustrating 9-to-5 office job?
One of my all time favorite inspirational bands for Spanish lyrics has always been Brujaria.
You don't have understand the lyrics to get a lot of what they are about:-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elkEwwkxSoo
Phew... pretty cruel image and morbide sounding lyrics... For me they sing about nobody taking care about the dish washers in the office and the used cups and cuttlery always littered all over the place... and now they are out for revenge ;-)

] Peter:H [ wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:02 pm b
Phew... pretty cruel image and morbide sounding lyrics... For me they sing about nobody taking care about the dish washers in the office and the used cups and cuttlery always littered all over the place... and now they are out for revenge ;-)
They actually sing about a lot of different subjects.
That album has some pretty offensive lyrics. Shock factor like with other songs of that style.
They are actually a bunch of nice people.

It's becoming a theme here that makes me wish we're moving on to the next page so I won't have to stare at a totally horrifying image. :o

+1

TheNeverScene wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:22 am It's been a while, but I've got a start on a track...it will probably completely change though.
https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... -2/s-ZPKj8
Awesome drums and sounds! Welcome back :hug:

Hi all, well well well, my awful mastering has been redone with advice from Mr T and Trojak! :tu: :tu:

I have uploaded a new version and changed the details as well. LUFS now 14.9 and DR 11. Tonal balance completely redone, bass/kick now sidechained and I have been volume riding all the "vocals" so as to not split your head open with the high pitched long notes!! :dog:

Please listen again - hope you agree it's somewhat better then the boxy sound from before and the various elements (lots actually) now stand out/appear in the mix …

viewtopic.php?p=7544524#p7544524

Of course, still subject to change in the next 16 days :?

dB
Last edited by doctorbob on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Listening to it now. You should post a little link to the "updated" post for convenience:
viewtopic.php?p=7544524#p7544524

Sounds a whole lot less painful now and has some proper improvement! The song still is what it is, of course, and a matter of taste with a few somewhat doodled moments, but it has integrity, which is great. I don't mind the simplicity. Though the lead has been decently moderated, I won't ever be a fan of it, because it reminds me of an overly dramatic munchkin or -eh...what were they called again...- CHIPMUNK, yeah, like an operatic chipmunk, hahaha, lamenting her long faded success on X-Files. :hihi:
But, yeah, it's definitely possible to listen to the whole thing. :tu:

Thanks Taron … chipmunks rule OK! :( As you say a matter of taste - and probably not to most (if anyones!) I had fun, and in the end, that's what counts for me …

Cheers, (and also, thanks for putting the convenience link in full sight for me !!! )

dB

doctorbob wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:05 pm Thanks Taron … chipmunks rule OK! :( As you say a matter of taste - and probably not to most (if anyones!) I had fun, and in the end, that's what counts for me …

Cheers, (and also, thanks for putting the convenience link in full sight for me !!! )

dB
Better now. Still I would recommend to listen to your low end only. Grab yourself any multiband splitter, use low cut around 200 hz and listen to low band only. Sorry, it's sometimes a bit messy. Low end should be mono and without "dissonant" freqs. Additionally I would recommend slap a reafir on top of your spectrum to rebalance it (I have tried to use MSpectealDynamics as Spectral Compressor on your track)... or you do the same with a gentle OTT as I suggested earlier.

Thanks Peter,

I will check and make sure that a plugin hasn't stereo-ised my bass!!!!!! I'll see if TDR Nova will help to listen to the bass band and see what can be done. It does get "lost" at times I know.

OTT is on the master cutting highs a little, more on the mid and boosting the bass (maybe it needs MORE bass???), I'll see if it and maybe Bass Professor can help the bass out a bit … as I said, still up for revision! I/we'll get there …

dB

It's interesting to listen to the entries so far and what you are doing with the OB-Xd!

Generally speaking in regards to eq'ing and OB-Xd, it such a well-calibrated and warm-sounding synth with a natural slope towards the high end, and I think that unless you're actively trying to pursue a more aggressive, unsettled or bright sound, I'd actually advise against solving issues with eq and go back to the sound itself - or at least wait for as long as possible before you introduce eq tools. (I say "actually" because I'm usually the first guy to reach for a parametric eq when I hear or see an unwanted peak in my mix :D).

At least this is my experience with OB-Xd, in analog-sounding '70s stuff and digital-sounding '80s stuff alike.

In other news, my entry was starting to get on my nerves, so I have pulled out of the competition.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

I have to agree Terje … wise words … but having got the track out there, I wanted to make the most of what I had … l will go back and ride the filter and attacks of the vox sounds … gonna be fun!

Shame you pulled out - hey, you are the master of cool 80's sounds!!!!!!

dB

doctorbob wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:49 pm Shame you pulled out - hey, you are the master of cool 80's sounds!!!!!!
Ha, thanks, Rob - your praise is highly appreciated! An oxymoron, some might claim - but we know better! :D
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Return to “Instruments”