One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kosmikfead wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 pm Happy to squeeze this synth for all its glorious tone! But there is a problem... Am i right in saying that in FLSTUDIO the automation just doesn't work?
SOLVED! VST3 version is Faulty... VST2 version fully automatable! :phew:
What is imagination for if not to create the universe?

It is Juce which is faulty as I wrote here (a few pages ago).
:neutral:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Nvm

Still working on my project. I feel like I'm doing alright. I can't show what I've got so far since I'm not at my PC currently, but I've gotten round the inconsistencies with the drums and have achieved a rather modern sound overall. It obviously won't be to everyone's tastes and probably won't place too high as a result, but we'll see =w=
It's very tasty, I swear!

Inconsistencies with the drums? Hmmm...well, you do some rather radical stuff, I guess, but I can't complain about consistency issues thus far. :shrug: ...but, yeah, not doing super fast things or demand sample like stability.
Anyway, can't wait to hear what you've got!!! :hyper:

Finding my inner Pink Floyd again with OB-Xd … so enjoying it …

dB

It's been a while, but I've got a start on a track...it will probably completely change though.
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Welcome Back, TNS! :hyper: ...dang, man, your kick/bass combo just sounds fantastic! I'm also assuming you'll change this thing dramatically, but one can feel your fundamental awesomeness as always. Right now this, like my own first experiments, sounds very much like a test or exploration. But a great one at that! There is this urgency, pulling around inside, almost like a caged animal, possibly drugged, too, haha. I hope, you'll get to free it in time, because it's a beast for sure! :D

+++ El Submission +++
Peter:H [ featuring a track by El Oficinista Del Infierno.

While listening a lot to Hocico recently - a mexican agressive style electro band - I thought, these guys shout angry/agressive lyrics at me and I don't get a single word what it's all about... What if these guys sing about their frustrating 9-to-5 office job? what if they have to fill up paper trays of all the printers in their office and ... cut their fingers at the sharp edges of the papers?
That brought me to the suprising conclusion that office tools are far to few times in the center of electro song lyrics... and with the help of google translate I came up with the title "El sacapunta esta caliente".... I mean Hocio could shout this lyrics too and I would believe they sing about corruption or other bad things happening in the world...
Then I grabbed some standard trance patterns from the internet, got rid of any awesomeness, used the tts software balabolka to get samples of the lyrics and created some instruments with OB-Dx (even a broad variety of stable drums and percs) and threw everyting together... Now I'm finished. Here's the OSC (samples free) version... the version with the funny lyrics is linked in the description on sc.

https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/pete ... te/s-iLdFa

Boring Details: Bitwig, I guess about 40 OBs, little amount of irony, standard trance patterns, a pinch of OTT, many MeldaProduction FX (MCompressor, MSaturator, MConvolutionReverbEZ), lot's of Bitwig FX scattered all over the project

I have enough to call it a submission. I might tweak this a little more before the deadline, though.

https://soundcloud.com/anotherbenjamin/ ... r-a-friend

Made in Reaper 5.983
with 28 instances of OB-Xd
some midi tools
MIDI sequencer Megababy
MIDI Note Filter (x6)
MIDI Transpose Notes
piz midiCCModulator

some audio tools
Tesselode Cocoa Delay
ReaEQ (x3)
Wags Audio WL-1
airwindows PurestGain
MStereoExpander
ReaComp
DC Filter
liteon TiltEqualizer
(No reverb in this one)

some analysis tools
MAnalyzer
MLoudnessAnalyzer
ReaTune (x4)

enjoy!
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Well, I will also add to the gathering tracks … please enjoy …

DAW: Reaper

Track Details:
18 * OB-xD
20 * ReaEQ
6 * Oril River
3 * TAL Dub Delay
6 * LFX-1310 (autopan)
4 * Twin Delay
1 * JS Transient Controller
2 * Classic Master Limiter
4 * TDR Kotelnikov
1 * ReaComp
1 * Bass Professor Mark 2
1 * TDR Nova67p

Master:
TDR Nova67p
Voxengo MSED
OTT
Loudmax

Metering
SPAN
Youlean Loudness Meter 2 (free)

Stats
Integrated LUFS: -14.1
DR: 10

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... -128-ob-xd
Last edited by doctorbob on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rob, you need to somehow...well, maybe somebody can correct me, if I'm wrong, please...but I think there's something with your monitoring equipment that makes you push up those 800-2000Hz frequencies (or even higher) to really painful levels. It physically hurts to listen to this, probably more than usual. My estimation up there is just from the top of what's left of my head, hahaha... so, yeah, I don't think this is desirable, but I am still no expert. Maybe something is wrong with my headphones?
Thing is, you're an awesome musician and even a powerful sound designer, but possibly your hearing is somehow uneven when it comes to the final result. It's quite possible that you might have to have faith in some EQ settings that simply even it back out, even when you cannot hear it that well or it sounds muffled to you. Maybe we can find the right balance together? I'm totally ready to play that back and forth game with you! :phones: :hug:

doctorbob wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:48 pm Well, I will also add to the gathering tracks … please enjoy …

[...]
You have a MID-focused spectrum with peak resonances around your E5 + E6 following your melody line. You can clearly see that in any Analyser. I have used MAutoDynamicEQ to figue it out.
Solution: Slap OTT on your track, reduce mids and hights and boost bass like in the screenshot and it's getting better. Then probably roll off over 13Khz a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks Taron and Peter … I will work to get this better … prob use tdr nova to do multiband eq and see where I can go …

dB

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:06 am +++ El Submission +++
Peter:H [ featuring a track by El Oficinista Del Infierno.

... I thought, these guys shout angry/agressive lyrics at me and I don't get a single word what it's all about... What if these guys sing about their frustrating 9-to-5 office job?
One of my all time favorite inspirational bands for Spanish lyrics has always been Brujaria.
You don't have understand the lyrics to get a lot of what they are about:-)

Return to “Instruments”