Multiple audio inputs.

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a technical difficulty for Waveform not being able to have more than two audio inputs open at any one time ? ( I only have a two input audio interface).

All other DAWs have the ability to use an audio input available for all audio tracks.

But with Waveform you have to manually drag a new audio input to a new audio track with the mouse each time.

Is it something to do with the way that Jules originally programmed it ?

As a workaround would it be possible to program virtual audio inputs ?

I can *easily* have more than two inputs selected for recording at a time in Waveform.
How are you expecting to record more than two inputs if your interface only has two?

If you are trying to record the same input on more than one track, consider instead recording it on one then copying the recording to the rest of them. Is there some reason that would not work for you?

fde101 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:15 pm I can *easily* have more than two inputs selected for recording at a time in Waveform.
How are you expecting to record more than two inputs if your interface only has two?

If you are trying to record the same input on more than one track, consider instead recording it on one then copying the recording to the rest of them. Is there some reason that would not work for you?
I have explained my need poorly. I only need to record one audio input at a time and then scroll down to the next track.

In Studio One for instance, if I make ten audio tracks they are all auto armed and ready to go. All I need to do is scroll down the the next track using either my controller or PC keyboard hit record and start playing. My two audio inputs are available on as many audio tracks as I want.

In Waveform a track is either audio or midi depending on what is assigned as an input. This means having to stop and find the mouse and fiddle about assigning an input each time a new track is recorded. Its not the end of the world, just not good work flow. Other DAWs like Reaper - Studio One - Cubase - Bitwig - free Sonar etc have all inputs available to use.

dellboy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:35 pm In Waveform a track is either audio or midi depending on what is assigned as an input. This means having to stop and find the mouse and fiddle about assigning an input each time a new track is recorded.
No you dont... You can drag an input from one track to another.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:41 pm
dellboy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:35 pm In Waveform a track is either audio or midi depending on what is assigned as an input. This means having to stop and find the mouse and fiddle about assigning an input each time a new track is recorded.
With the mouse or PC keyboard ?

If an input could be tied to a PC keystroke that would be an easy solution.

Its the messing around with the mouse that drives me nuts. I keep dropping and losing it.

dellboy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:06 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:41 pm
With the mouse or PC keyboard ?

If an input could be tied to a PC keystroke that would be an easy solution.

Its the messing around with the mouse that drives me nuts. I keep dropping and losing it.
Mouse, sorry.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

In settings/Audio devices turn on "Default Input follows selected track", and whichever track you have highlighted will have an audio input assigned to it, ready to record.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

dellboy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:06 pm Its the messing around with the mouse that drives me nuts. I keep dropping and losing it.
You might want to consider an alternative input device such as a trackpad or trackball... one of the recent Wacom tablet models for example with the multitouch support.

chico.co.uk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:40 am In settings/Audio devices turn on "Default Input follows selected track", and whichever track you have highlighted will have an audio input assigned to it, ready to record.
I had a look and that was already selected.

No idea what its for, but it does not seem to enable an audio input on the track selected.

Thanks anyway.

fde101 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 am
dellboy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:06 pm Its the messing around with the mouse that drives me nuts. I keep dropping and losing it.
You might want to consider an alternative input device such as a trackpad or trackball... one of the recent Wacom tablet models for example with the multitouch support.
I use to have one of those years ago, but I am not sure if it would help as my workspace is very cluttered with no available desktop space. They are good though and I will have a look see.

I have been used to using a PC keyboard with Cubase etc since the Atari days and find it the most efficient method for myself, and a PC keyboard is harder to lose or drop.

I have a Nektar Panorama with deep integration for Studio One and Cubase (sadly no Waveform integration) but still end up using the PC keyboard instead of the integrated controller.

dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:41 pm
chico.co.uk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:40 am In settings/Audio devices turn on "Default Input follows selected track", and whichever track you have highlighted will have an audio input assigned to it, ready to record.

No idea what its for, but it does not seem to enable an audio input on the track selected.

Thanks anyway.
That's odd. Because that is what it's for, and it does, on every machine I've tried it on, since it was introduced as a feature. It was literally introduced to do what you want to happen.

https://sendeyo.com/en/e47a79be49

password : tracktion

I don't really know a video hosting site, to chuck this up on, this was the first thing that came up in google. Video showing the audio inputs moving with the selected track, with that option turned on.

chico.co.uk wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:12 am
dellboy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Thanks anyway.
That's odd. Because that is what it's for, and it does, on every machine I've tried it on, since it was introduced as a feature. It was literally introduced to do what you want to happen.
It works on my machine too.

chico.co.uk wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:25 am https://sendeyo.com/en/e47a79be49

password : tracktion

I don't really know a video hosting site, to chuck this up on, this was the first thing that came up in google. Video showing the audio inputs moving with the selected track, with that option turned on.
Thanks for the video.

In the video you are using your mouse pointer.

I want to use the PC keyboard to select tracks.

You also said "it does not seem to enable an audio input on the track selected" - How did you determine this, without selecting a track? Is that statement inaccurate, or not?

If your issue is actually how to select a track, using the keyboard, wouldn't it be easier to ask that, rather than something else?

Return to “Tracktion”