UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Did they update the distortion algorithms? I know some offer oversampling, but not all. I’ve been hoping they’d add that.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:09 am Did they update the distortion algorithms? I know some offer oversampling, but not all. I’ve been hoping they’d add that.
In 2.00 the ones that do not have oversampling are "diode clipper" and "guitar boxes"

qoyl wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:07 pm I didn't see this mentioned in the launch videos - is there a way to see which presets are new with version 2?
Each new presets is name like that :
Preset name _1.6 : Falcon 1.6
Preset name_ 2 : Falcon V2
Best
YY

UVI team, thank you
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:00 pm
Dillinger wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:24 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am You can't have absolutely all modulators on all levels...
envelopes should be available at all levels. And by should, I mean it makes sense in my world.

All points are moot if the release is today. It is what it is.
They ARE available at all levels.
Technically but not practically.

I’m sure you will understand this already but For the edification of the reader:
You can directly add to the layer but it will not trigger (lfo and step are exceptions)
As an example add Thorus to the layer (or the program or the Aux) then add an analog ADSR to any parameter, edge for example. No bueno.
An early work around was the keygroup modulator workaround. By adding a layer modulator at the keygroup level, assigning it to pan and make it’s ratio 0 so it has no effect on pan and set it to Legato, then use that modulator on the layer level effect itself ( Thorus in this example) you will now have a functioning layer envelope. Has to be Legato only.

This is what I would like to see implemented (eventually): direct modulators on the Layer, Program, Aux and Macro levels, yes the Macros as well.

So I’m not misunderstood; FALCON is mind blowing as it is and as a user am grateful for their work.

I just went through some of the new factory presets - wow. some really amazing sounds. Lots of cool springy modulated stuff with the additive osc.

plexuss wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:31 am
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:09 am Did they update the distortion algorithms? I know some offer oversampling, but not all. I’ve been hoping they’d add that.
In 2.00 the ones that do not have oversampling are "diode clipper" and "guitar boxes"
Guitar boxes is convolution based so no need.
This might be possible in Diode Clipper though but it's already quite CPU hungry :)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Yes, its a great update.

I wonder if Falcon is the best 'hybrid instrument' ever made in any format, it realy is quite staggering what it can do....I doubt anyone will ever get close to using its full potential!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Thank´s for the FREE update to a new major version.
A lot of the new added presets are really good and creative. Good stuff to get inspired!
I guess still no multi-core support? Yes, i have to ask every few months at least :D
I understand it is no easy task (or even impossible for Falcon).
However, i learned to use just simple presets and combining instances via my DAW to do more layered stuff.
So a wonderful update so far. Still very slow to load big samples compared to Kontakt but we cannot have it all.

I think the argument for multi core actually is more unimportant than I first thought, since as soon as you use another instance of Falcon onto another track, most likely your DAW will use that Falcon with another cpu core than the first instance.

free update was a nice surprise.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 am I think the argument for multi core actually is more unimportant than I first thought, since as soon as you use another instance of Falcon onto another track, most likely your DAW will use that Falcon with another cpu core than the first instance.
It all really depends what you want to do in one single instance. IRCAM algorithms are notoriously CPU expensive, and if Falcon did multicore processing spreading individual voices across cores (like Kontakt does), it would improve performance across the board.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 am I think the argument for multi core actually is more unimportant than I first thought, since as soon as you use another instance of Falcon onto another track, most likely your DAW will use that Falcon with another cpu core than the first instance.
It all really depends what you want to do in one single instance. IRCAM algorithms are notoriously CPU expensive, and if Falcon did multicore processing spreading individual voices across cores (like Kontakt does), it would improve performance across the board.
Here's a (fun) fact: I use u-he Diva in almost all my projects, several instances. With Diva's multicore enabled I get project clicks and pops (CPU overload), Ableton Live (i9-9900-K, 8 cores, overclock 5.1 GHz, hyperthreading disabled). With Diva's multicore disabled (all instances, of course). I get the project to run comfortably under 100% project load and no clicks and pops.

I suppose Falcon could benefit of multicore given the fact is multitimbral and one can go quite heavy in a single session but I just had to load over 24 patches playing all at the same time (from Atmospherics library) to get pops and clicks.

Then I downsized this multi to 20 patches per multi and duplicated the track in daw. I can get 7 tracks (playing each 20 patches) with no clicks. I didn't search for patches that use IRCAM samplers though...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sircuit wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:00 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Here's a (fun) fact: I use u-he Diva in almost all my projects, several instances. With Diva's multicore enabled I get project clicks and pops (CPU overload), Ableton Live (i9-9900-K, 8 cores, overclock 5.1 GHz, hyperthreading disabled). With Diva's multicore disabled (all instances, of course). I get the project to run comfortably under 100% project load and no clicks and pops.

I suppose Falcon could benefit of multicore given the fact is multitimbral and one can go quite heavy in a single session but I just had to load over 24 patches playing all at the same time (from Atmospherics library) to get pops and clicks.

Then I downsized this multi to 20 patches per multi and duplicated the track in daw. I can get 7 tracks (playing each 20 patches) with no clicks. I didn't search for patches that use IRCAM samplers though...
stupid question, shouldnt multicore enabled reduce the overload? i understood it like that, that multicore balances the cpu load on all cores out instead having everything on one core.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 pm stupid question, shouldnt multicore enabled reduce the overload? i understood it like that, that multicore balances the cpu load on all cores out instead having everything on one core.
In theory it should. In practice sometimes it doesn't. Worth experimenting on your own daw with each plugin that supports multithreading on/off.

Not all hosts play well with Diva's multicore switch. It does what it should in Reaper.

Return to “Instruments”