Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:43 pm The programming on Icarus2 is finished now.
Nice.

Now that all the features set is finished, how much will be the upgrade prices? I'm asking because I had Icarus exactly 1 year ago (more precisely October 10, 2018).

Has the resynthesis quality been improved or exists there the Option "sample split"
In Icarus v1.6 the results are rather bad compared to Serum.

You obviously did not read the manual or dig seriously into Icarus 1.6. This synth offers the most advanced re-synthesis methods for wavetables available on the market.
To resynthsize a wav click sample-> resynthesis 'smart pitch snap'

Here is a video how it works:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNa70ea_iQ

Markus Krause wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:33 am Here is a video how it works:

It is way beyond anything else I have ever used for resynthesis. The only synth that comes close is Harmor.

Markus Krause wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:33 am Here is a video how it works:

That video is quite superb. I haven't really delved into this area much tbh, since i've had Icarus, but I am damn sure I will more now.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I never did an in-depth comparison of all resynthesis modes in Icarus versus Serum and really absolutely love and regularly use both synths a lot. From what I compared I noticed some differences in results, but not really in quality. Nowadays, for resynthesis, I often prefer to use Icarus because 1) it offers more resynthesis modes I can play with and 2) it has three OSCs where I can play around fast with different versions and morph modes. That said, a resynthesis aspect I really like in Serum is the image-based synthesis.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

metaside wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:13 pm That said, a resynthesis aspect I really like in Serum is the image-based synthesis.
That's not resynthesis, that's... well... "image synthesis", or spectral synthesis (kind of additive, but based on the image being interpreted as a spectrum). :D
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:40 pm
metaside wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:13 pm That said, a resynthesis aspect I really like in Serum is the image-based synthesis.
That's not resynthesis, that's... well... "image synthesis", or spectral synthesis (kind of additive, but based on the image being interpreted as a spectrum). :D
True of course, but you can go back and forth between image and audio files - image files can be much easier edited as compared to audio imho (even though programs and plugins like RX and Iris kinda bridge the gap a bit). So, if I get my image from an audio source I changed in photosounder and then GIMP, for instance, I would still count it as resynthesis, even though part of the process is done in other programs... :D
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

metaside wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:47 pm True of course, but you can go back and forth between image and audio files - image files can be much easier edited as compared to audio imho (even though programs and plugins like RX and Iris kinda bridge the gap a bit). So, if I get my image from an audio source I changed in photosounder and then GIMP, for instance, I would still count it as resynthesis, even though part of the process is done in other programs... :D
That would be true if all programs would use the exact same method of interpreting the spectrum image. Unfortunately, that's exactlky the opposite - each one produces audio that's quote different from the others.

You may try it. Just analyse a file in Photosounder, save the image, and load in in Harmor or Iris, ro whatever you have. Then listen to the resulting audio. You'll notice that it is very far from the sound you began with.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:47 pm You may try it. Just analyse a file in Photosounder, save the image, and load in in Harmor or Iris, ro whatever you have. Then listen to the resulting audio. You'll notice that it is very far from the sound you began with.
I have done that and it depends on what you use, settings and so on (even though Iris doesn't fit here since it is a very different synth that uses a spectral filter but doesn't do image-based resynthesis afaik), but really no idea how that would relate to me thinking of it as resynthesis - the same is true for the various more traditional modes of audio resynthesis imho.

Finished today:

Support for MPE-devices like the Seaboard (Midi PolyPhonic Expression). You can enable MPE support in the setup of the synth.

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:37 pm Finished today:

Support for MPE-devices like the Seaboard (Midi PolyPhonic Expression). You can enable MPE support in the setup of the synth.
:D :party:

When do you think can we get a beta or release? I am realy looking forward to this release.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Brilliant! Thank you, Markus! :clap:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Amazing! That must be record time. So the mpe expressions are in the mod matrix as mod sources then I assume? Looking forward to seeing if mono modes work normally in mpe mode as well. Even though mpe is meant for polyphony, mono modes can still be really cool with mpe devices. Only a few synths work correctly in mono - Cypher, Equator and now Phonec 2. You can hold one note and play a second note on and off with bends and expressions and the first note always triggers properly when you lift the second note. Makes for some cool playing techniques.

Also - You probably didn't have time for this but in the future maybe, it would be great to have curves to scale the mpe expressions like in Equator.

Return to “Instruments”