Midi Controller Advice ,korg, arturia , novation, NI

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have a few i have been looking at
mainly 49 keys ( although could pump for 61 but there the same i guess
i use reason so working mapping with that would be a bonus
also how do the the quality of the keys compare , anyone have any experience here
ARTURIA KEYLAB ESSENTIALS 49 OR 61
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS A49 OR 61
NOVATION IMPULSE 49 OR 61
Korg triton taktile 49

im looking in the £100 -£200 range no more than that i realise nektar have good integration with reason aswell but they look flimsy and clicky, i want something sturdy with nice playable keys not so noisey cheers
Last edited by 2019me on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

You probably mean Keylab Essentials.

Well.. i guess it depends whether or not you are looking for a keyboard with Aftertouch. Only the Impulse features Aftertouch from the ones you've listed. I have the Impulse, and, the Aftertouch isn't great, but, i guess for the price point, i can't complain. From the onboard MIDI learn system, i'd highly recommend getting the Native Instruments keyboard, because, on the Novation, Automap just plain sucks in my opinion, and, on the Arturia, i'm not sure how it works. If you don't mind the MIDI learn system (I never use it, but, instead, use the DAW's included MIDI learn system), and you're looking for the best keybed, i can' comment on the Native Instruments keyboard, but, the Impulse's key action is OK, surely not high end (actually... i'd even say it's pretty good, i like the feel of the keys). I don't know how the key action on the Arturia keyboard is, but, if their smaller keyboards are a indicator in any way, then it should be great. I have the Arturia MiniLab, and the keys are simply awesome for such a small keyboard, and small keys.

So, yeah, difficult, and mainly depends on what you are looking for exactly. :) I think all of these should be generally fine for the price.

I'd also throw in the M-Audio Code 49 or 61, which has a similar price tag, and also comes with Aftertouch. Again, though, the onboard MIDI learn system should suck, because, the software, VIP, is not really good in my opinion. But, again, if you don't mind the onboard MIDI learn at all (i don't), then it also should make a good keyboard.

chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:04 pm You probably mean Keylab Essentials.

Well.. i guess it depends whether or not you are looking for a keyboard with Aftertouch. Only the Impulse features Aftertouch from the ones you've listed. I have the Impulse, and, the Aftertouch isn't great, but, i guess for the price point, i can't complain. From the onboard MIDI learn system, i'd highly recommend getting the Native Instruments keyboard, because, on the Novation, Automap just plain sucks in my opinion, and, on the Arturia, i'm not sure how it works. If you don't mind the MIDI learn system (I never use it, but, instead, use the DAW's included MIDI learn system), and you're looking for the best keybed, i can' comment on the Native Instruments keyboard, but, the Impulse's key action is OK, surely not high end (actually... i'd even say it's pretty good, i like the feel of the keys). I don't know how the key action on the Arturia keyboard is, but, if their smaller keyboards are a indicator in any way, then it should be great. I have the Arturia MiniLab, and the keys are simply awesome for such a small keyboard, and small keys.

So, yeah, difficult, and mainly depends on what you are looking for exactly. :) I think all of these should be generally fine for the price.

I'd also throw in the M-Audio Code 49 or 61, which has a similar price tag, and also comes with Aftertouch. Again, though, the onboard MIDI learn system should suck, because, the software, VIP, is not really good in my opinion. But, again, if you don't mind the onboard MIDI learn at all (i don't), then it also should make a good keyboard.
THANKS man looking at the code 49 as well , I may stay away from the impulse if its really bad then , just was interested in the AutoMap as I can see reason supports that

I'm not saying the Impulse is bad :), it's just that the Automap thing never really worked for me. It works for some other people out there, but, i always had the one or the other issue with it... the hardware is really fine though, for the price. The Aftertouch isn't great though, if you are keen on using that. It might be better on the M-Audio, but, i don't know about that.

Hope you find a proper one for you.

Korg triton taktile 49 used i might get

2019me wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:12 pm Korg triton taktile 49 used i might get
It's pretty cool and way underrated. Love the included Triton sounds and the touch pad as well. Got the 25 key model just to get those. Hooking it up to my Kronos give me the full playability of the original Triton. Only downside is, you can't save edited patches and that's a rather stupid decision by Korg.

The Impulse is a very good, if old, control board. The Korg is very interesting, but it is hamstrung in inexplicable ways. Lacking at least mono aftertouch is inexcusable in a recent keyboard. The patch saving was mentioned.

Arturia does worthy control keys.

If you use NI or NKS, the NI is worth a test.

All MIDI implementations stink. That's just the state of the art - MIDI has always been a hassle for more than the simplest connection. No one stands out much on that score. The other features decide what you want. To me, the Impulse would be the choice for the keys and versatility, with the Arturia needing an in-person check (which might sway me toward it). For you, do you.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”