One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... -128-ob-xd

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #128! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

If you want to help support the development of the OB-Xd, there is an option to buy it here, and the open source code is here.

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

Special thanks to discoDSP, and the original dev 2Dat, Soshi Labs, and any other devs working on the open source repo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdfcgiLsp88

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik Station V9, Wusik 8008, Wusik SQ200 and Wusik P2000

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

SoundGym : 6 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

Sonimus : Any one Plugin (This prize may be chosen no more than three times)

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

Synthmorph: Any 1 soundset

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune. Unfortunately his main site is down, but if you still want these, let us know!

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
Last edited by bjporter on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Yesss... great to see OB-Xd getting some love from devs and users!! :D
Uploaded a track that uses OB-Xd as the only synth a couple of days ago on my SC ... but with drum samples :roll: Otherwise I might have reworked the track for this OSC.

Have fun everyone!! (I'm likely to pass this month though)

Anyone have the paid version? Worth it?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I believe there is no "paid version." At the bottom of the page, it says:
OB-Xd Desktop has no restrictions and is free to use. Buy to support further development, thank you!

There seem to be different versions. I got the blue one--OB-Xd 1.5. The black one pictured in the OP of this thread seems a different version (I got mine following the download link above) that is shown to have a price here: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ob-xd- ... y-discodsp

Is that for the stand-alone version?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

That's just a different skin. Try right-clicking on the plugin background and choosing discoDSP Classic from the Skins menu.

Right click the gui for the skin selector

Of the analog hardware emulations I think this is one of the best. The original OB-xa was a phenomenal synth that was a legend in it's time and this is very true to it. Last OSC with this was great fun, looking forward to this one!

Never worked with this synth before. Anyone got tips for consistent kick ,can't find a way to reset phase is there some trick with it?

Ok i just did it old school way .Compress the soul out of it and tadaaaa there you have it. Squashed low end with some OTT juice over. Win

simanus wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:35 am Ok i just did it old school way .Compress the soul out of it and tadaaaa there you have it. Squashed low end with some OTT juice over. Win
That's the OSC way!! One of the great aspects of of the old days ("golden years of synths???)" with analog gear back in the day was we could focus on making sounds never heard before and didn't worry about how to make a good kick. We had drummers with real kicks! Or LinnDrums or DMX machines. That's the real old school way.

REQUEST RE: COMMERCIAL PLUGS

Hello -- as usual I am requesting that we be allowed to use commercial plugs this month. Anyone else want to jump in and officially petition BJ and Richard?

Thanks!

Amazing! I'm currently using my spare moments to indulge in some youtube clips about the old beasts and was JUST enjoying some about the OBs, including the OB-x. Quite a mythical synth, I find, lingering humbly next to the Moog, Sequential and Roland worlds and somehow it seems to drift off again and again, oddly elusive to me for some reason. But here I am, wanting to explore those a bit more and HERE WE ARE, actually asking us to do so, hahaha! Awesome! :hyper:
Just downloaded and already it's quite a blast. Great sound, quickly to make some real treasures! :phones:

If you wanted to recreate 80's synthesizer greatest hits, this one makes it easy.
Halloween's Crockett's theme anyone? ^^

Anyone who is interested, check out the free banks for this gem
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ob-xd- ... /downloads

Return to “Instruments”