Yamaha FB01 Editor

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
After nigh-on 6 years in development, my beloved FB01 has a modern editor for Ableton Live. Control all parameters and finally access the things the front panel doesn't let you touch.

https://gumroad.com/l/fb-01

I hope there are some FB01 owners out there!

midierror

beloved FB01
Definitely not the adjective I'd use for that box. I dumped mine many years ago. Like most everybody else. The ONLY 4op Yamaha Black Box that doesn't play nice with the rest of the family. You couldn't give me one! :P
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Shame you don't see what others do. This is a very out-there and off-kilter synth compared to any of the other standard 4 op synths. Perhaps you never had the chance to edit the parameters on it - its got really deep bass, even compared to the DX7

Heres what someone said on the SOS forums "The FB-01 brings back memories for me, because it was essentially the synth that I worked with on Sega Megadrive soundtrack commissions."

its got really deep bass, even compared to the DX7
Apples and oranges. I'll stick with my TX81Z thanks. It's had a great editor
for years. If you like the FB01, good for you. I don't see a whole lot of other
users stepping up to agree with you.

Here's some trivia for everyone. The Rodgers Organ Company used to distribute Yamaha FB-01 synths to accompany their MIDI equipped pipe organs and hybrid pipe/electronic organs. This was back when they first started equipping their organ consoles with MIDI. If the FB-01 was being paired with organs that cost upwards of $60,000, the Rodgers Organ Company must have considered them decent at the time. Rodgers was known for making high quality instruments.

A short time later, Rodgers was bought by Roland. After that, they started distributing Roland MT-32 MIDI modules with their organs. I didn't like those nearly as much as the Yamaha product. Later Roland models, such as the SC-55, were a little bit better though. Personally, I wish Yamaha had bought Rodgers, instead of Roland. I think Yamaha had better synths at that point in time, and the very first product Yamaha ever produced was a pipe organ. (Not many folks know that.) So, I think it would be fitting for Yamaha to later purchase a company that manufactured pipe organs.

As for the FB-01, its biggest drawback was not having a user-friendly interface, not its sound quality. Keep in mind, this model was produced in the Digital Synth Dark Ages, when most products from most manufacturers suffered from a lack of knobs.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

McLilith wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:55 pm Here's some trivia for everyone. The Rodgers Organ Company used to distribute Yamaha FB-01 synths to accompany their MIDI equipped pipe organs and hybrid pipe/electronic organs. This was back when they first started equipping their organ consoles with MIDI. If the FB-01 was being paired with organs that cost upwards of $60,000, the Rodgers Organ Company must have considered them decent at the time. Rodgers was known for making high quality instruments.

A short time later, Rodgers was bought by Roland. After that, they started distributing Roland MT-32 MIDI modules with their organs. I didn't like those nearly as much as the Yamaha product. Later Roland models, such as the SC-55, were a little bit better though. Personally, I wish Yamaha had bought Rodgers, instead of Roland. I think Yamaha had better synths at that point in time, and the very first product Yamaha ever produced was a pipe organ. (Not many folks know that.) So, I think it would be fitting for Yamaha to later purchase a company that manufactured pipe organs.

As for the FB-01, its biggest drawback was not having a user-friendly interface, not its sound quality. Keep in mind, this model was produced in the Digital Synth Dark Ages, when most products from most manufacturers suffered from a lack of knobs.

Thats so interesting, thanks for sharing that! Seems to be quite a devisive little box.

The lack of programmability is what lead me to use my Atari ST to program it, and begin making my own software. I like that its hard to work with, I enjoy the challenge of exploring unchartered waters!

CapnLockheed wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:17 pm
its got really deep bass, even compared to the DX7
Apples and oranges. I'll stick with my TX81Z thanks.
I love the TX81Z too. Something about the wavetables makes it sound super-dark.

And the compatibility with the other 4op synths and a good editor are also pluses.
It is my go to synth for talkboxing. Traditionally guys who do talkboxing use DX-100's.
To my ears tho the TX81Z has more of an edge than the DX's. Maybe different DACS?

Truth be told, the FB01 was my very first synth, followed by a Roland D-110. I did
like the FB01 much better, (more character!), than the D-110 and kept it a lot longer.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”