Best VST synth for sfx sounds

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

From my perspective the OP plan sounds a bit like trying to climb a mountain with ballerinas. Not technically impossible but at the same time a waste of energies that most probably won’t head anywhere anyhow.

But if that’s really what the OP is going after he should first reverse engineer every sound; so you’ll probably have to start your process dating your sounds and find what equipment was used at the time and that eg that BOING sound is a recorded spring so you should get into physics to understand how a spring oscillates, resonates and whatsoever in order to resynthesize the sound from scratch.

If the OP is looking just for a “more synthetic” sound for those fx I would recommend, as already suggested, get some sample or record your own(I love to make spring sounds with plastic rulers held on a table or a resonating body such as a guitar) and then dive into resynthesis and granular stuff.

@mireiner

Good luck with your search.

I bet you end up creating some amazing sounds you never expected :tu:
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:47 pm @mireiner

Good luck with your search.

I bet you end up creating some amazing sounds you never expected :tu:
And this :phones:

3000 Sound Effect Pack

And here you are.

(browse down the list in the page opened by this link in order to see what this huge pack contains, then take the pack (I have it since 2014, it is of excellent quality, and I could even say awesome!) for the so low price it costs instead of loosing hundred of weeks and dozens of months to recreate things like that at the speed of probably less than two sounds per month without never reaching something as convincing as these samples and in fact never learning anything actually... and focus your mind on way much enthralling things to learn and to do with all the various synthesis techniques, tips and tricks included, in the musical world! All the crazy time you'll spend and actually loose trying to recreate by synthesis such noises is a precious time totally lost without any added value, a precious time not spent to improve your knowledge on all the much more important technical sides you have to assimilate for the real target of the synthesis : the MUSIC !!!)

In French we have an idiomatic expression for the kind of thing you are trying to do. This idiomatic expression is "peigner le cou de la girafe" ("to comb the neck of the giraffe") meaning to loose all one's time for days, weeks, months, to do patiently and meticulously... something totally vain and actually totally useless while there are so many much more useful (even for oneself) and much more gratifying ways to use one's time.
:roll:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

My favorite SFX synth is Bazille... amazing sound quality and so diverse and flexible... but it takes a lot of learning to be proficient and there might not be much in the way of SFX sound sets for it.

the best sound effects come from modulars so bazille, ace, reaktor, etc

Michael L wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:36 pm Another very good option is PureData and Andy Farnell’s book “Designing Sound” because procedural audio is where it’s at for games etc.
If you want higher-level then:
http://tsugi-studio.com/web/en/products-gamesynth.html
There are a lot of new information for me in there. Thank you for this. Especially for the book suggestion and for calling my attention to 'procedural audio'.

mschenkel wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:46 pm If the OP is looking just for a “more synthetic” sound for those fx I would recommend, as already suggested, get some sample or record your own ... and then dive into resynthesis and granular stuff.
I'm aware of that this is the alot easier path to reach the goal. And I'll probably use that path very often every time I'll fail in pure synthesis.

So thank's to everyone who pointed me in that direction:

Dirtgrain
sinemotor
Auplant
mschenkel

I didn't miss your advice.
Last edited by mireiner on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also I like to thank everyone who gave synth recommendations!
(In the order they were mentioned):

mireiner: Synthi-V, Cyclop
BlackWinny: Xils-3, ModulAir
perfumer: Arsyn
Dirtgrain: MSoundfactory
whyterabbyt: VCV Rack
kone2006: Labchirp
U-o: Marazmator
Auplant: Harmor
Examigan: Unfiltered Audio Lion
drzhnn: Zebra, TAL-Mod, etc.
pdxindy: Bazille
dune-rave: Bazille, Ace, Reaktor
Cinebient: Dust, PPG Infinite, Alchemy, P900
SyntheticAurality: Crystal, Padshop Pro
Norrin_Radd: Avenger, Falcon

Reading your suggestions helped me to sort out that a modular synth or at least a semi-modular synth (for example like zebra) is the way to go.

Meanwhile I found some additional synths that I like to add to the list. (Both are kind of modular with cable connections and come with full resizeable GUIs and many sfx presets):

Madrona Labs: AALTO
Madrona Labs: kaivo
Last edited by mireiner on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ModulAir can be added to your list if you want. Free but incredibly powerful as all the synths made by Full Bucket Music.
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:14 pm OP: "Hello. I want to make a sound."
KVR: Recommends every synth which was ever created.
well tbf, they do all make a sound.

BlackWinny wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:50 am 3000 Sound Effect Pack

And here you are.

(browse down the list in the page opened by this link in order to see what this huge pack contains, then take the pack (I have it since 2014, it is of excellent quality, and I could even say awesome!) for the so low price it costs instead of loosing hundred of weeks and dozens of months to recreate things like that at the speed of probably less than two sounds per month without never reaching something as convincing as these samples and in fact never learning anything actually... and focus your mind on way much enthralling things to learn and to do with all the various synthesis techniques, tips and tricks included, in the musical world! All the crazy time you'll spend and actually loose trying to recreate by synthesis such noises is a precious time totally lost without any added value, a precious time not spent to improve your knowledge on all the much more important technical sides you have to assimilate for the real target of the synthesis : the MUSIC !!!)

In French we have an idiomatic expression for the kind of thing you are trying to do. This idiomatic expression is "peigner le cou de la girafe" ("to comb the neck of the giraffe") meaning to loose all one's time for days, weeks, months, to do patiently and meticulously... something totally vain and actually totally useless while there are so many much more useful (even for oneself) and much more gratifying ways to use one's time.
:roll:
you're assuming all synth users are looking to make "music".

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:49 pm
:D

chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:28 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:49 pm
:D
I would narrow that down to VCV Rack and Reaktor.
IMO learning the physics of sound and learning how to create sounds from scratch with a synthesizer is not a waste of time if that is your goal. If you are just into making music and are happy with the incredible range of premade patches and prests, then maybe it is a waste of time.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Dust, PPG Infinite, Alchemy and P900....for me at least :)

Return to “Instruments”