Best studio headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SparkySpark wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 pm BTW, the freq response should be of importance (I think) when considering whether the bass, vocals or treble are too loud. For me, the sound is not the most crucial aspect of headphones really but the balance between these three.
Ah, yes, I see.

For setting the amount of bass and treble in a mix - and thus for
overall balancing - I would compare it to a reference wav-file.
But everybody here has his (or her) own way to do a balancing. :)
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Eclectus wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:15 am
SparkySpark wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:54 am
Eclectus wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:51 pm So you are suggesting Ozone Elements as the best studio headphones? Interesting!
Well, Ozone Advanced, but essentially yes, at least for hobby musicians within a decade or so. (That is also the reason why Ozone, Nectar and Neutron exist: to be the perfect engineer for mixing/mastering and leave all creative decisions to the user.)
Cool, thanks. Are the elements comfortable to wear? Do they block a lot of noise? Do they have a replaceable cable? Or do I need the advanced for that?
Hmmm... I am not sure whether you are being genuine or sarcastic here, but I'll answer your question as if it is indeed genuine. :)

Ozone is very well-known SOFTWARE by Izotope, specifically engineered for mixing and mastering purposes. Some people may not like it as much as rivaling software (say Fabfilter's stuff), but I am certain it could be used on many commercial productions. BTW, right now there is a big sale (theeir greatest ever) going on regarding Ozone. It comes in many flavours and you might want to check it out.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

enroe wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:39 am
SparkySpark wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 pm BTW, the freq response should be of importance (I think) when considering whether the bass, vocals or treble are too loud. For me, the sound is not the most crucial aspect of headphones really but the balance between these three.
Ah, yes, I see.

For setting the amount of bass and treble in a mix - and thus for
overall balancing - I would compare it to a reference wav-file.
But everybody here has his (or her) own way to do a balancing. :)
Yes, agreed. This is why I am interesting in the Tonal Balance Control in Ozone Advanced. Haven't tried it yet though. :)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

wmoeirjgijwe^àpdjhti
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:12 pm Did anyone try the Audio-Technica ATH-M40 X's? Reviews sound as if those are a good budget choice as well.
I have them and cannot judge bass on them at all. They are good quality, great sound, nice detail, but no good for mix/mastering IMO.

I use AKG K272HDs when tracking audio, though I only use monitors for mixing.

Does anyone have opinions on Sennheiser HD 280 headphones?
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Sennheiser 600 + Sonarworks Reference = great combination

McLilith wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 pm Does anyone have opinions on Sennheiser HD 280 headphones?
I don't care for them. First of all, unless they have changed them, they feel like vice grips. Second they are very colored. Kinda bright, too much low end. They don't suck, I just don't care for them.

Thanks for the input.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Is there anything to those EMU headphones with the teak or walnut back
or is that just some gimmicky whatever?
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

I don't quite get the reasoning - "like the frequency response"?

If to mix - what matters is if you feel like having to redo final mixes over and over again because they don't translate to other listening devices you use.

After done mixes in HD650 - I can pretty much run mixing monitors, hifi monitors and car too - and still balance and sound great.

And don't forget the Fletcher-Munson curves how different ears respond to various sound pressure level(volume).

So find some common ground that sound fine on as many devices as possible so you an release it.

But HD650 require special preamp as I found, since most phones outs on equipment have really cheap circuits. That means not getting your moneys worth on those phones. It's not just about getting enough volume - frequency response suffer too if not proper output for 250 ohm phones, or whatever they are.

While recording I just use HD280 or HD201 or anything, does not matter as long as I hear something.

But for mixing it must translate well.

jethrobull wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:59 pm Save yourself some money and get the Samson SR850's
Intresting option. Did you ever compared to other headphones?

i use the sennheiser hd280 pro in the studio and coffee shops - find they work great for what I do (variety of styles). Also been very durable since I travel with them alot, and pretty affordable!

lfm wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:03 am I don't quite get the reasoning - "like the frequency response"?

If to mix - what matters is if you feel like having to redo final mixes over and over again because they don't translate to other listening devices you use.

After done mixes in HD650 - I can pretty much run mixing monitors, hifi monitors and car too - and still balance and sound great.

And don't forget the Fletcher-Munson curves how different ears respond to various sound pressure level(volume).

So find some common ground that sound fine on as many devices as possible so you an release it.

But HD650 require special preamp as I found, since most phones outs on equipment have really cheap circuits. That means not getting your moneys worth on those phones. It's not just about getting enough volume - frequency response suffer too if not proper output for 250 ohm phones, or whatever they are.

While recording I just use HD280 or HD201 or anything, does not matter as long as I hear something.

But for mixing it must translate well.
650's are fantastic cans. You should definitely be able to mix with those. But there not any good for tracking. I had some 580 (great cans, never used them though) and I couldn't deal with the noise of my guitar or bass bleeding through.

That's why I like my 8400's. They are comfy, they are not hyped and in what is a very loud environment I live in, the block things out. Best non-open cans I've ever had.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”