Trance gate effect - what is your preferred method?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Chalk," you say? You were lucky. When I was a lad, our dad would bang our heads with wooden spoons he fancied were mallets. If the right sound didn't come out of our mouths, he'd add a lump to our heads for to attain the proper timbre.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

At least you had wooden spoons. My dad used rocks.

:D

dark water wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:22 pm At least you had wooden spoons. My dad used rocks.
And that's where the term "Rock-music" comes from.
More BPM please

I still use Dfx Skidder through a bridge. It's super solid and flexible.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I found this the other day, really decent trance gate effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNWqh3i2Sq0
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Surprised (unless I missed it) no-one seems to have mentioned FabFilter's Pro-G VST as it has a really nice trick where you can get it to listen to a MIDI channel in another DAW track and then close and open the gate based on the MIDI pattern - think binary ones and zeroes, it doesn't give a damn what the note is just that there is or isn't one happening at the time it looks. You also get some envelope control to prevent the harsh clipping with non zero-point crossing.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

A1 trancegate is my go to

We use several different ones. Steinberg's Chopper was one of the first and it still comes in handy now and then. I bought the Snap-In Trance Gate last year and It's quick and easy. We also used d-Blue Glitch for a while and now have Glitch 2. We use Tantra a lot these days but it is very complex and can be fiddly to get just right. I'm currently testing the Gatekeeper trial and it seems to strike a goof balance between features/functionality and ease-of-use. It's half-price at Plugin Boutique at the moment so I will probably pick it up.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Gatekeeper for $24 at Pluginboutique right now.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:50 am Gatekeeper for $24 at Pluginboutique right now.
Is it worth it, compared to A1TriggerGate which is free?
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

If i need to use a trancegate on more than one element, I use A1 trigger gate and also got good results with the utility tool in ableton live, no clicks or delays.
Otherwise, if its just one sound, massive's performer is quite handy.

BONES wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:18 am We use several different ones. Steinberg's Chopper was one of the first and it still comes in handy now and then. I bought the Snap-In Trance Gate last year and It's quick and easy. We also used d-Blue Glitch for a while and now have Glitch 2. We use Tantra a lot these days but it is very complex and can be fiddly to get just right. I'm currently testing the Gatekeeper trial and it seems to strike a goof balance between features/functionality and ease-of-use. It's half-price at Plugin Boutique at the moment so I will probably pick it up.
Do you have all the old Steinberg factory plugins running in a current version of cubase? I tried to get them all going in cubase 8 a while back but it didn't work. I miss chopper and a few other plugins quite a bit.

Oh. Also if you own zebra, fm8, or absynth you can use them as very nifty and flexible midi controlled gates.

Scuzzphut6 - free VST effect plugin featuring a flexible trance-gate and two delay lines, each with it’s own filter and LFO.

Scuzzphut6 v2.0 features

- Trance-gate
- Click-n-drag activation of the gate steps.
- Step ties to link steps.
- Attack/decay and shuffle controls.
- Delay lines
- Tempo synchronization.
- HP/LP filter.
- LFO routable to both pan and filter cutoff.
- A mixer section rounds things off and remember – you can switch off the gate and just use scuzzphut6 as a spacey delayifier!

http://www.vstplanet.com/Effects/Delay6.htm

Return to “Effects”