Devious Machines release Pitch Monster

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EXTREME PITCH SHIFTING
Underneath Pitch Monster’s streamlined exterior lurks an absolute beast, capable of 64 voices of sound-warping insanity. Transform a solo vocal into a beautiful choir or robotic melody; turn a mono synth into an orchestra, or your own familiar speaking voice into the rumbling vibrations of Thor, God of Thunder.

With its granular, formant and robo-tastic vocoder engines, Pitch Monster goes far beyond ordinary pitch shifting. Realtime MIDI control, low latency and 8-voice polyphony mean that it can be played like an instrument. Pitch and time spread and randomisation functions turn ordinary sounds into the fantastical, whilst extreme formant shifting can not only alter the gender of a voice, but mutate it into an entirely different species!

Just don’t turn the knobs too far. You don’t want to get it over-excited.

FEATURES

Harmonise with up to 8 voices of polyphony
Huge 6-octave range
Dial in 8 voices of unison for a 64 voice stack
Granular, formant-shifting and vocoder engines
Realtime MIDI control
Programmable chord memories, with hundreds of presets
Dual high + low pass filters for fine tonal control
Wide mode for BIG stereo effects
Responsive, low-latency DSP engine
Pitch Monster
Compatibility
OSX 10.7 or later; Windows 7 or later. VST 2, VST 3, AudioUnit and Protools 64-bit AAX

https://www.deviousmachines.com/pitchmonster/

Looks cool! Price is a little steep though, no?

Eventide Octavox is $200US regular price. Pitch Monster is regularily $105 on sale for $80. Antares Harmony Engine is $250! I can't think of any others that do this kind of thing but based on those two examples, seems like Pitch Monster is competitively prices. I haven't tried it however, so just going by whats "on paper".

This looks very interesting.

I just got a £10 coupon for being a newsletter subscriber which brings the intro price to £50 or about $65US.

plexuss wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:32 pm I just got a £10 coupon for being a newsletter subscriber which brings the intro price to £50 or about $65US.
Same here Plex. I really like the demo so far.

I've had a chance to play with the demo. It's a pretty unique effect, I can't think of one I have that is like it. It's more of a pitch based mutation effect than a pitch harmonizer. The latter is more like Octavox and the like. PM is more of a creative effect that uses pitch and granular to mutate the input. It can be used to sweeten up a track with harmonization but that's not it's strong point in terms of being realistic. Interesting! :phones:

I agree with plexuss. Tried the demo and pretty interesting, although I'm not sure I really need it into my toolbox. But it sounds really great and it definitely has potential for sound design. While it can for sure be used subtly for some pitch shifting and some vocal formant work, I think it can also seriously be used as a sound mangling tool, very easy to go crazy & extreme with it and destroy beyond recognition any audio.

I'm impressed by its minimal CPU usage in spite of all the stacked voices. Great sound and feature set. I'm considering a buy.

plexuss wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:32 am Eventide Octavox is $200US regular price. Pitch Monster is regularily $105 on sale for $80. Antares Harmony Engine is $250! I can't think of any others that do this kind of thing but based on those two examples, seems like Pitch Monster is competitively prices. I haven't tried it however, so just going by whats "on paper".
You forgot to mention Manipulator, Little Alter Boy and Nectar who are in the same price range :-)

Anyways how is the cpu usage?

What other plugins have that chord feature?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:11 pm What other plugins have that chord feature?
Crusher-X does.

plexuss wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:32 pm I just got a £10 coupon for being a newsletter subscriber which brings the intro price to £50 or about $65US.
hmm i did not recieved it

Elektronisch wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:12 am Anyways how is the cpu usage?
We think it's great if you have a processor with SSE 4.1 support. Let me know if you find any different (maybe we can shave a few more cycles off with an AVX version...)

We've also just pushed a fix that makes it work, slightly slower, with processors without SSE 4.1 support (see version 1.0.19).

cheers!

The MIDI input in vocoder mode is hours of fun - either play them in live or just wire it up to Cthulhu and a bunch of speech samples.

The granular pitch shifting/harmonising is generally smoother in Octavox but I can see this getting a lot of use in any style that starts with "Future", particularly now the whole vocal-chop thing has been really played out.

Return to “Effects”