Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

moshimoshi wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 pm
overhishead wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:29 am
moshimoshi wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:33 pm
overhishead wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:07 pm ergonomically, my issue with the knobs in the envelope is that the different rate values that they control, as well as function are ambiguous to me as a dyslexic user. (and if you are not dyslexic, trying to program a DX7 will make you dyslexic.) Because these identical looking knobs do secret things, i need to store and recall physical memories in my brain as to what the function and value of the envelope controls, and this reduces the intuitiveness of the gui. this is why i have called for a symposium on this problem. This is not a criticism on Stanford University or Dr. Chowning. This is not a scolding of the small elite handful of gatekeepers either. This is an invitation to open DX7 programming to a wider audience with the hope that they will compose amazing new presets so that I don't have to.
OK so let's see - you will ignore suggestions of other FM synths which do what you want, you will also ignore when people directly link you to manuals which explain how the envelopes work in a few paragraphs with diagrams. I get it. We must have other programmers change Dexed for you (in so breaking true DX7 import), so that other people can make patches for you, and all for zero cost, for your convenience. :? :dog: :tu: :?: :?: :?: :roll:
I am not saying I'm right, but You are wrong. You can change the mechanics the GUI (Graphical User Interface) and still constrain the output of those controls to correspond with DX7 patch values.

Also a DX7 doesn't have a filter, I'll wait for anyone to explain how that is compatible with a DX7.

(edit) I was agreeing with the post above me that said Dexed needs a new GUI. I didn't anticipate someone getting mad at my expertly worded comment.
I'm not mad, just baffled at your continued wilful ignorance. As has already been explained several times, the filter is an additional monophonic effect on top of the voice engine, it's not part of the DX7 portion. But obviously you don't want to read, you don't want to learn. If you took 5 minutes to understand how the envelopes work, you'll understand it's actually quite tricky to represent graphically. They are not ADSRs, they are more powerful than that. The representations in Dexed already go far beyond what you see on a DX7.

I'm no 'gatekeeper', I'm just a user with an opinion which deserves to be heard as much as your continued bleating. You want a 'symposium' but you don't even want to approach the first rule of design - understand the 'problem' first. I've seen countless examples of software ruined by dumb user requests, things which the coders themselves have admitted to me they shouldn't have listened to. So if you'll continue to bleat I will continue to argue my point. Lastly, I will say this - you imagine some fairytale world where if only the f**king envelopes were changed, then some magical uptake of amazing patchmaking would happen as a result of this democratic bliss. Well I simply contend that this is absolute bollocks. Any sound designer worth their salt will learn how the envelopes work in 5 minutes - the actual way that FM ratios interact is far more difficult to understand - so what you're saying is total nonsense.
great arguments against innovation, but I'm still for innovation.

Beware, Dexed is not only a DX7 emulation... it is first a DX7 SYSEX editor.

Any change made in Dexed MUST NOT have any consequence on the compatibility with the SYSEX which are sent from Dexed to a DX7 hardware device... otherwise we definitely loose this very important feature : to be the a perfect DX7 SYSEX editor for the device owners.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with the standalone version of DEXED 0.9.4 and wondered if anyone here might be able to help.

Put simply, every time I open the DEXED standalone app, it immediately crashes and I get the standard "Ignore, Report, Reopen" dialog box. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times, but to no avail. The plugin, however, works just fine.

I'd really like to get the standalone version working as I'm taking delivery of a TX7 module tomorrow and would really like to use it with that without the need for opening up my DAW every time.

I've also raised this as an issue on the Github page but have, as yet, received no response.

Any and all help gratefully received :)

First, do you use Windows, OSX, Linux ?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:22 pm First, do you use Windows, OSX, Linux ?
Haha! Schoolboy error on my part! Apologies :)

I use macOS, 10.14.6 on a late 2013 27" iMac, i5 3.4GHz, 32GB RAM

Ah... I think I may have fixed the issue! I ran an app cleaner to get rid of all the little "extra" files and reinstalled DEXED and now the standalone app seems to work fine!

Fingers crossed it stays this way :)

Give again news after a little while to let us be sure the issue is solved.
:tu:

BlackWinny wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 pm Give again news after a little while to let us be sure the issue is solved.
Will do! My TX7 arrives tomorrow, so looking forward to using DEXED as an actual editor for the first time. I already love it as an instrument :)

Failed Muso wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:39 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 pm Give again news after a little while to let us be sure the issue is solved.
Will do! My TX7 arrives tomorrow, so looking forward to using DEXED as an actual editor for the first time. I already love it as an instrument :)
Can Dexed get an A/B switch to select between the Dexed audio engine and MIDI output to a hardware DX7?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I recently fell in love with Dexed. I am using kxStudio / Kubuntu 16.04 and it works great in the Carla plugin host / virtual rack.

What I have trouble understanding is how to select cartridges using MIDI commands. When my master keyboard sends program change commands, Dexed always jumps back to its first virtual cartridge. I assume there is a way to select cartridges via MIDI command, isn't there?

Any hints on this are welcome.

Best
DocDocDoc

It turns out I have to revise my post: Apparently, dexed-lv2 ignores program change, at the versio I have (how to find out which version I have?) . However, Carla as plugin host maps them to the 32 presets in some default cartridge.

Is there a way to switch presets in Dexed via MIDI commands? This would be highly appreciated.

More updates: Managed to compile standalone and VST from Github on kxStudio/Kubuntu 16.04. (Where did LV2 go?). Program Change commands are used by the standalone version as well as in Ardour, but not in Carla (even if set to be passed thru in the edit box there). Still no cartridge selection idea.

Is there a plan to make larger GUI options for dexed?

Arturia's DX7 does emulate that bug properly, IIRC.

DocDocDoc wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:32 pm It turns out I have to revise my post: Apparently, dexed-lv2 ignores program change, at the versio I have (how to find out which version I have?)
find Dexed in your synaptic package manager list, and right click on it,
there should be a properties option to choose, with good information.
There should be a linux vst available, for use iin Reaper, Bitwig, Mixbus etc
which may behave differently. Carla may have vst support to turn on
in it's prefs
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”