Anybody using Gullfoss AND Bassroom on their Master Bus?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm very interesting in your settings. I bought both last week and tweak but maybe some of you share the experience. Thank you!

Scotty wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm
plexuss wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:43 am Do ny of you have examples of your mixes using these you can share? :phones:

Yes ... track 2 "Election Cycle" and Track 4 "Good Man James" ... I just re-uploaded these 2 masters for my album. Election Cycle is Soothe with Bassroom... Goodman James is Gullfoss with Bassroom.

http://www.dotbmusic.ca/album/hollow-hearts/
I find "Good Man James" richer fuller and not so thin. But that's me!

Scotty wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm
plexuss wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:43 am Do ny of you have examples of your mixes using these you can share? :phones:

Yes ... track 2 "Election Cycle" and Track 4 "Good Man James" ... I just re-uploaded these 2 masters for my album. Election Cycle is Soothe with Bassroom... Goodman James is Gullfoss with Bassroom.

Sounds to me like you've got Gullfoss and Bassroom working together just fine.
Dug your music by the way.I like your style. Goodman James reminds me a bit of the Dave Mathews Band.

Thanks I appreciate the comments.... In terms of head to head mastering comparisons there is a lot going on in the mixing that makes a direct comparison attributed to just mastering almost irrelevant (thick verses thin for example). I mix each song like it is on a different sound stage. It is a weird approach in some ways because I am really trying to create an environment around each song and don't use a mixing template for my own material, similar methods but different microphone techniques, gear, and effects processing.

I don’t use it but sounds like it’s something I should look into. Was skeptical when I first saw bassroom but if a lot of people like it, it has to be something.

Demoing it now: very good combo this! Bassroom in front of Gulfoss seems to get me the best result, but it actually does something very similar to the curve Bassroom suggests me. Does Gulfoss ever go on sale, or am I stuck with a 180 euro investment? Don't suppose there's a lot of second hand offers for it, lol.

Scotty wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm Yes ... track 2 "Election Cycle" and Track 4 "Good Man James" ... I just re-uploaded these 2 masters for my album. Election Cycle is Soothe with Bassroom... Goodman James is Gullfoss with Bassroom.

Thank you for sharing.

On Good Man James, with a few instruments hitting hard in the higher frequencies I noticed a few spikes of harshness that I felt need taming. This surprises me because Gullfoss is dynamic and it claims to keep tight reigns, so it should never go into harsh territory. Do you have any processing after Gullfoss?

OTOH, I listen with DT 990 Pro so anything that barely pokes its head in the harshness realm stands out to me.

There is more room in Gullfoss to tame for sure but to my ears it is the sweet spot across the monitors and headphones that I mix with (also car audio tests) Taming more seemed to gut some of what I liked (same with Soothe - it is very easy to overuse) But no doubt you could automate it if there was something that you thought needed to be managed more or you could go into the mix and address it at the subgroup level too (better still) . The tools can do it so don't take my example as the limit of what can be achieved.

Yes your DT990 Pros might be revealing something that I missed. My ADAM A7x and Ik Micros and AKG 702 cans didn't reveal serious problems to my ears but this is admittedly so subjective. One person's harshness is another person's bite.

What I like about Gullfoss and Soothe is that you can get your mix sounding good and not resort to more destructive EQ solutions. This stuff can be quite transparent and allow you to leave more of the good stuff intact. At least that is how I try to use it.

I am less experienced with Bassroom but I think it will have application here too.

Happy to share and thanks for listening.

jochicago wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:14 am
Scotty wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm Yes ... track 2 "Election Cycle" and Track 4 "Good Man James" ... I just re-uploaded these 2 masters for my album. Election Cycle is Soothe with Bassroom... Goodman James is Gullfoss with Bassroom.

Thank you for sharing.

On Good Man James, with a few instruments hitting hard in the higher frequencies I noticed a few spikes of harshness that I felt need taming. This surprises me because Gullfoss is dynamic and it claims to keep tight reigns, so it should never go into harsh territory. Do you have any processing after Gullfoss?

OTOH, I listen with DT 990 Pro so anything that barely pokes its head in the harshness realm stands out to me.

duplicate

These two plugins is what I call "redundancy" it does the job but so can good 'ol EQs and spectrum analyzer. I prefer to use and trust my own judgment using my ear and my gut. Wheres the fun of mixing if everything is automated and handed to you in silver platter...like Ozone, Neutron, Gulfoss, e-mastering etc.
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

Skyfall72 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:05 pm These two plugins is what I call "redundancy" it does the job but so can good 'ol EQs and spectrum analyzer. I prefer to use and trust my own judgment using my ear and my gut. Wheres the fun of mixing if everything is automated and handed to you in silver platter...like Ozone, Neutron, Gulfoss, e-mastering etc.
It's not necessarily about being handed everything on a silver platter. Some of us have clients and people to supply music to quickly so "Fun" sometimes has to take a back seat to getting it done fast and some plugins lend themselves to that end pretty effectively.
People have different goals and uses for things and besides, the subject was about using these two particular plugins at the same time on the master bus not about the merits of using them at all. To each his own on that.
Last edited by dblock on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

When used subtley soothe or gullfoss can retain more of the desired sound which I prefer in cases where either drastic eq cuts/boosts or extremely complex automation of levels and plugin parameters are required. The results matter and when applied here you can assume the results are superior to more traditional methods. if you are implying that you work harder and therefore have better results that is fine with me. I'll take your word for it. I choose these tools when they leave more of the sound source intact. It isn’t about silver platters it is about results

Return to “Effects”