Free Saturators?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PhreePhuzz SGA1566 SoftAmp 3OD TAL-Tube Tube Saturator Vintage

Hello

I dont hae budget for saturators like decapitator or fabfilter saturn.
Are there any Free out there worth trying?

It absolutely obliterates your CPU on any oversampling level but: SGA1566 sounds very good—it's good for turning to max settings and then bouncing to a file for future use.

And IVGI is a free 1-quarter of Klanghelm's full plugin, SDRR.

sleepcircle wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:59 pm And IVGI is a free 1-quarter of Klanghelm's full plugin, SDRR.
Right... i always forget about that one. :)

If you don't mind the lack of interfaces and metering, Airwindows stuff... Density is very good, as are the tape emulations.

Image Image Image Image

thanks a lot for the fread feedback!

Oh, yes, definitely Airwindows, too. Give Channel7 a try, or Single Ended Triode, Hard Vacuum, or Mojo

For reference, because each plugin models only one specific kind of saturation:
Channel7 is very pure and bright (with increasing phatness as you move past 100%)
Single Ended Triode is pure and warm (the Class A and Class AB sliders are capable of adding extreme grit, possibly up to speaker-damaging levels, so be very gentle with them and do not use A and AB together, only one or the other)
Hard Vacuum sizzles and sings
Mojo thumps and slams

1) TDR SlickEQ can be used as a saturation plugin alone.
2) Klanghelm IVGI 2.
3) The Drive knob in the Audio Tools Leveling Tool compressor can be used on its own too.
4) Airwindows has many good ones, mostly ToTape 5.
5) Softube Saturation Knob.

It's better not to use the Wave Arts Saturator Vintage, it's literally the CPU-heaviest free plugin ever, even worse than some paid ones.

You're absolutely right. It sounds nicer than most other free saturators, though. :)

If you don't mind 32 bits: https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/20 ... -kvr-dc09/
VOS has a lot of other intresting stuff to play with tone.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:22 pm You're absolutely right. It sounds nicer than most other free saturators, though. :)
yeah, it sounds great--it's basically a complete and unsimplified circuit simulation, so it's another one of those "get a good-sounding saturation and then bounce it for future use" saturators.

and yeah, i always forget about VOS. Ever since I moved to mac i can't use it any more. :[

wow thats a lot of options, thanks everyone

Often overlooked, but very capable for quality tube-style saturation without taxing the CPU too much:

https://www.voxengo.com/product/tubeamp/

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:57 pm Often overlooked, but very capable for quality tube-style saturation without taxing the CPU too much:

https://www.voxengo.com/product/tubeamp/
Even more overlooked about that plugin, it's the fact that it has oversampling, though you need to manually activate it. Tbh I just forgot about it, I knew there was one I didn't remember when doing my recommendations.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”