Best DAW for ARA integration and comping

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JoseC. wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 am Actually, the comping features were there before. What they did with the last update was including the possibility of using track lanes fore layering audio in the same track as well. If you are in comping mode, by default each time you click a clip in a lane all the clips in other lanes that overlap with it are automatically muted. Now you can unselect Comping mode and also have all of them sounding and edit all layers in a single track.

Just make sure that you have Comping mode selected in the Smart Tool

I also works with midi, by the way, so you can layer drums and have each instrument in a single clip in a separate lane within a single track.
Thanks! I downloaded Cakewalk today and it is really highly impressive. ...and free. As I said, it's insane really. :phones:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I only can speak for Cubase as that's the DAW I've used for years. But since Cubase came out with variaudio I really haven't reached for antares or melodyne in years. There's probably something that those programs maybe do better, maybe multi audio for melodyne? But the convenience of Variaudio within Cubase is light years better than what it used to be than with importing to Antares or Melodyne, processing, and moving out.

Maybe the integration is much tighter now, but when I listen to results of Variaudio within Cubase, I really have no complaints and I can actually start the process in real time while listening to the track and multitasking with other stuff all simultaneously.
W11 i9-13900K, 64GB Cubase, UAD/Motu Monitor 8 front end and more plugins then I ever actually need :D

JoseC. wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 pm Yes, if you own Melodyne your best option is Cakewalk by Bandlab.
robbie111 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 am As everyone has said already the best Daw for ARA is Cakewalk and the new update is brilliant for comping. That program just gets better and better.
Delusional- adjective - (1) characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

(2) based on or having faulty judgement; mistaken
enroe wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11 am The full versions of the "big" DAWs have their own pitch-corrections
for vocal comping:

-- Bandlab Cakewalk: Roland Variphrase
also that is incorrect on at least 2 levels -
1 - Cakewalk/SONAR etc never had 'Variphrase', it had V-Vocal which integrated Rolands 'Variphrase' technology.
2. Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) absolutely does not include V-Vocal. It can and will show up in CbB if you have a previous version of SONAR installed which DID come with V-Vocal, otherwise no, it is not included with Cakewalk by BandLab.

You're welcome :D
Say NO to CLAP!

musicdoc wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:13 pm But the convenience of Variaudio within Cubase is light years better than what it used to be than with importing to Antares or Melodyne, processing, and moving out.
Yes, true. VariAudio is fantastic - in its workflow and in its pitch-algorithm.

The only advantage of ARA-2 with Melodyne is with Melodyne Studio and the
DNA (=direct note access) in polyphonic audio. So for monophonic vocals
VariAudio is the best. But for the correction of a guitar chord you may need
Melodyne.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

jinotsuh wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:23 am 2. Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) absolutely does not include V-Vocal. It can and will show up in CbB if you have a previous version of SONAR installed which DID come with V-Vocal, otherwise no, it is not included with Cakewalk by BandLab.
Thank you for the info!
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Acoustica Mixcraft 8 Pro includes melodyne integration. I have only used the lite version though.

Melodyne gurus,

I am testing the water with Essential. I have Melodyne on two separate tracks (double tracked vocals), and I want to open both instances to see the pitch correction done on the first track so that I can either match, or harmonise on the second track.

The problem is that when I have both Melodyne instances open, they both point at, and effect the currently selected track. That is to say, I can't see both edits at the same time.

Is that normal? And is it normal in the grown-up versions too? Seems a bit cack so I'm thinking that I must be missing something obvious, right?

Cheers.

jinotsuh wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:23 am
JoseC. wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 pm Yes, if you own Melodyne your best option is Cakewalk by Bandlab.
robbie111 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 am As everyone has said already the best Daw for ARA is Cakewalk and the new update is brilliant for comping. That program just gets better and better.
Delusional- adjective - (1) characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

I've used Melodyne with Cakewalk and the integration now is amazing. It even beats Studio One (which was the first Daw integrated with ARA, Sonar was second) and my guess is you've never used the brand new updated features in Cakewalk or you wouldn't slag it. But hey to each his own.

I haven't tried Sonar in years, basically because it had become unstable, but I did take a look at the release notes at Bandlab and they've been very hard at work. Decided to download it again, just to take a look. It didn't crash which is a nice improvement right there. ;-) For free with Melodyne? That makes it very hard to not like. I'll stick with Live, but I'm impressed.

JoseC. wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 am
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks, and thanks for the link to the post in question! It really shows off how good the comping features got this July - it seems I asked my question at a perfect time! :tu:

And this is still freeware? This is just insane. :o :clap:
Actually, the comping features were there before. What they did with the last update was including the possibility of using track lanes fore layering audio in the same track as well. If you are in comping mode, by default each time you click a clip in a lane all the clips in other lanes that overlap with it are automatically muted. Now you can unselect Comping mode and also have all of them sounding and edit all layers in a single track.

I also works with midi, by the way, so you can layer drums and have each instrument in a single clip in a separate lane within a single track.
Do you know if there is a way to bounce the different midi track lanes into separate audio tracks quickly?

Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:52 pm

Thanks, and thanks for the link to the post in question! It really shows off how good the comping features got this July - it seems I asked my question at a perfect time! :tu:

Actually, the comping features were there before. What they did with the last update was including the possibility of using track lanes fore layering audio in the same track as well. If you are in comping mode, by default each time you click a clip in a lane all the clips in other lanes that overlap with it are automatically muted. Now you can unselect Comping mode and also have all of them sounding and edit all layers in a single track.

Do you know if there is a way to bounce the different midi track lanes into separate audio tracks quickly?
All lanes belong to the same track, and you can not bounce individual lanes, so bouncing the track would bounce a mix of them all, unless your instrument is multioutput, in which case you can bounce all outputs at once each to its own track.

If your instrument has a single output you have three options, either going for several passes, soloing a single lane each time, or, if your clips are not too long, you could just line them up in the same track, bounce the track and then split and drag each new clip to an audio track, or just duplicate your instrument track as many times as you need, drag a midi clip to each of them and bounce them to a separate track at the same time.

JoseC. wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:53 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:52 pm

All lanes belong to the same track, and you can not bounce individual lanes, so bouncing the track would bounce a mix of them all, unless your instrument is multioutput, in which case you can bounce all outputs at once each to its own track.

If your instrument has a single output you have three options, either going for several passes, soloing a single lane each time, or, if your clips are not too long, you could just line them up in the same track, bounce the track and then split and drag each new clip to an audio track, or just duplicate your instrument track as many times as you need, drag a midi clip to each of them and bounce them to a separate track at the same time.
cool, thanks!

SparkySpark wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Thanks! I downloaded Cakewalk today and it is really highly impressive. ...and free. As I said, it's insane really. :phones:
Look and feel, workflow and such are certainly very much a matter of taste, but feature-wise Sonar/Cakewalk is the most complete DAW of all I think.
There's very few DAW features I can think of that it does not have.
(Reaper's PIP, Cubase's Audio Alignment, Studio One's Mix FX and a couple of other things.)
These aside, if you would ask me for the one DAW that has everything, it would have to be Sonar. And it also has a few things the others don't have (ProChannel, Lenses and such).
And on top of it the included plugins aren't half bad either.

And all that for free now - the mind boggles.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:20 pm
SparkySpark wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Look and feel, workflow and such are certainly very much a matter of taste, but feature-wise Sonar/Cakewalk is the most complete DAW of all I think.
There's very few DAW features I can think of that it does not have.
(Reaper's PIP, Cubase's Audio Alignment, Studio One's Mix FX and a couple of other things.)
These aside, if you would ask me for the one DAW that has everything, it would have to be Sonar. And it also has a few things the others don't have (ProChannel, Lenses and such).
And on top of it the included plugins aren't half bad either.

And all that for free now - the mind boggles.
Cakewalk is indeed pretty full featured, but I don't think it's AS full featured as Cubase and Logic, specially in the MIDI and video departments.

For me, the selling points are the UI, the development pace and the philosophy driving it. I'm pretty settled with "traditional", "linear" DAW's and among them, Cakewalk has the best graphic and user interface, imo. Not everything is perfect though, a lot of its functions seem half baked (matrix view, plugin manager, browser, etc.) but the developers seem committed to improve it continually and they've done a hell of a job, especially with the two latest versions, which really inspires confidence.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:08 am
Cakewalk is indeed pretty full featured, but I don't think it's AS full featured as Cubase and Logic, specially in the MIDI and video departments.
Perhaps, I don't know* (as I barely use MIDI myself) - what features do you have in mind specifically?

I can name two big features that Sonar has but Cubase does not, right from the top of my head:

multitouch support

matrix for loop/pattern triggering á la Ableton Live

*somehow I doubt it though - they both started decades ago as pure MIDI sequencers
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”