Analog emulation compressors I would actually use...

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I am looking for a vintage/analog compressor bundle that would fit my downtempo/house/techno needs. Specifically I am interested in (but not limiting myself to) the Native Instruments Vintage Compressors or Waves CLA Classic Compressors - to have a selection of different character compressors, for instruments, vocals etc.

Currently I have the Waves Platinum bundle, but the compressors in it are not that spectacular (like the V-Comp or H-Comp). Though I separately purchased the API 2500 (I like it when I need to smack some drums). Also I have the PSP Mixpack2, but it's quite an old bundle and I am not using it that much anymore and the Vintage Warmer 2 (usually use it for the drum bus).

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Virgiauskas on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by whyterabbyt on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I would look at U-he Presswerk. It's a single plugin, not a bundle, but it's very versatile in terms of applications and character.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

cryophonik wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:02 pm I would look at U-he Presswerk. It's a single plugin, not a bundle, but it's very versatile in terms of applications and character.
I actually used it for a while, but for some reason didn't like it in the end, didn't use it too much and sold it.

That’s a tough question to answer. The CLA stuff is definitely good. You have Platinum. Have you tried the Renaissance Compressor? I like that one a lot. It seems like a lot of focus now is on Consoles emulations, lately. Like Brainworx, and Waves to a lesser extent, have really been pushing a different one a week. Acustica Audio makes stuff on a whole other level, right now. The Acustica stuff will also bring your CPU to its knees. Softube makes some compressors that many folks are happy with, and they would love to sell you their Console 1 as well. I also hear good things about Sound Radix and U-he. The Empirical Labs and Kush Audio compressors get raves all over. Have you been over to the gearslutz site? This subject gets pored over at length, and many of the guys who post there are prominent in the recording industry. I’d check there for what gets talked about, and get on some mailing lists. A lot of those plugs are expensive, but they DO go on sale.

I have a ton of Plugin Alliance plugs. I really liked almost every thing I’ve bought from them, but they have moved over to a subscription model, and I am not all that crazy about recommending them anymore. They DO make good compressors though. I use the BxOpto and the Townhouse Compressor a lot.

It’s funny because, there are so many good good compressors that come stock with DAWs now. I’ve used Ableton’s, Cubase’s, and Logic’s compressors just as often as I would reach for a Brainworx or a Wave’s compressor, to be honest. I’ll usually just reach for something else when I’m not all that happy with the way the stock compressor is treating my track.

Ok so I updated the title to be more specific. In Ableton I like to use the Glue compressor, it's one of my favorites, but I thought about adding something to my arsenal few analog emulations that would give me a different character.
W23 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:39 pm That’s a tough question to answer. The CLA stuff is definitely good. You have Platinum. Have you tried the Renaissance Compressor? I like that one a lot.
Is the RenComp modeled on anything or is it just clean comp? I have used it on vocals on some tracks, but haven't noticed any character added to it.

W23, do you have any favorite compressors from Plugin Alliance? I recently added a few plugins from them, but I have few EQ's, the Transient Designer and few utility plugins.

On sale at the moment is this from Boz Digital..
https://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/10db-bundle/ at $39
+10db is a channel strip plugin meticulously modeled after one of the industries most iconic hardware compressors
It models a British uniot called the vocal stressor>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pY_Xtvs_WI

the compressor is basically their ADR's Compex F760FX compressor..
which was used in the 1970's Helios console...
#
It is quirky... I love it... maybe a bit of nostalgia.
It certainly has it's character.
EDIT:If you demo it, be sure to read this article... especially the "In use" section.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ad ... x-f760x-rs
:tu:

Of all the PA compressors, probably the Acme Opticon is the most “characterful”, but the Townhouse compressor and Zip are both very worthy. Both the Townhouse and Zip lend themselves toward the “abuse” side of signal processing in a good way. The rest of the PA stuff like the Opto, PE-700, and mPressor tend to be on the transparent side. I think that’s why PA are going so hard on console emulations right now. There is often a preamp/saturation in front of the compressor. I have a couple of those too (the Neve, and SSL-G), but I tend to like using a mix and match approach rather than a single channel strip.

I have the 10db bundle too. I think I paid almost $70 for it on sale a couple of years ago. It’s good, but I still found it to be on the surgical/transparent side (think “clean, warm and loud”) of analog (like PA’s SPL and Elysia modules), which isn’t bad if that’s what you are looking for. I really like Boz’s Manic Compressor and Wall limiter. Those two are serious contenders.

I would almost steer you toward some of the SoundToys stuff, like Devil-Loc (plain, or Deluxe) or DeCapitator, which isn’t a compressor but compresses all the same. Those two are like magic fairy dust you can sprinkle on anything, and who cares what you put after DeCapitator (if anything) for compression?
Last edited by W23 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DMG Audio’s Trackcomp. It’s all you need.

Btw anyone have any experience with PSP oldTimer and compared to similar compressors?

Virgiauskas wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:09 pm Btw anyone have any experience with PSP oldTimer and compared to similar compressors?
- I like OldTimer a lot, especially for taming vocals, or low ratios on busses, but it doesn't have either the fast distorted grabbiness of an 1176 or the gooeyness of an LA-2 emulation. The PSP comps for getting closer to these are the FETPressor for a bit more aggression, and the Twin Limiter for either quick or gentle, musical leveling.
- I would have recommended u-he Presswerk for an all in one but that doesn't gel with you
- I've heard nothing but good about the DMG TrackComp others have mentioned
- I like the NI comps and haven't felt the need to try any other 1176/LA-2/160 emulations. LA-2 is great on vocals
- Maybe a little left-field because it doesn't really distort in a vintage way, but Tokyo Dawn Labs' Kotelnikov is such a musical-sounding problem-solver that it's at the top of my "actually used" list regardless of genre
- Voxengo Marquis isn't a 1:1 emulation but is one of my favorites for grittier compression

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/h ... -plus-mk2/

5 compresion modes, great value for the money.

Virgiauskas wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:13 pm
cryophonik wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:02 pm I would look at U-he Presswerk. It's a single plugin, not a bundle, but it's very versatile in terms of applications and character.
I actually used it for a while, but for some reason didn't like it in the end, didn't use it too much and sold it.
Keep using Waves then :tu:

Here’s an advice : if you want your mix sounds better any compressor even stock plugins would do just fine. It’s all about your technique and skills.
Although, a high quality plugins helps to do the job much easier. Ditch the waves.
Listen to my mix.
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

I am steering myself to OldTimer and/or the NI VC. Need to find proper deals to get them all :)
Last edited by Virgiauskas on Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”