Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Perfect! :tu:
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Instructions just went out PM to all beta testers.

Also, does anyone here know how to send PM's here to more than 10 members at once?

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:57 pm Instructions just went out PM to all beta testers.

Also, does anyone here know how to send PM's here to more than 10 members at once?
If I remember correctly it is not by using PM's but by creating a usergroup. There is a help here about the usergroups:
app.php/help/faq#f4r2

And probably that a board administrator (Ben Turl in the ideal) would give you all the clues.

Cheers!
Jacques
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hopefully I can be still on that beta list. I'm such a curious squirrel who was sick the last days.

OK, You're on the list.

I would also like to be on the list. I'm particularly interested in the performance improvements

Coming back to licensing: Do you plan any redundancy regarding the servers and administration? I had two bad experiences when I wanted to re-license two different products when their servers and license administration weren't accessible. I had to wait several weeks.

Eventually there will be redundant servers but not for the first few months. We will start with one dedicated server which will be up 24 hours a day regardless of where I am.

You will never need to wait more than a couple days in the worst case scenario. Getting the license under normal conditions takes about twenty seconds, I already tested this. The server down contingency plan would be at most 48 hours to wait.

If the server ever goes down or I am on vacation there will be a contingency plan for delivering an unprotected release individually to any user who requests it, if certain conditions are matched such as a blackout period, so no user is ever left with non-functioning software.

In addition the contingency plan will not depend on me invoking it. It will be prearranged in the hands of my sound designers. For instance if I am on vacation in Bora Bora and my cell phone dies and the server goes down for more than 48 hours then my sound designers will already be instructed to ping the server at a user's request and if it is down and I do not respond to email in that 48 hour period, they will issue a release to anyone requesting it. The lapse time will be long enough to make sure there is really a problem but not long enough to leave any user out in the cold.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi guys,

My own high point experience for licensing would be Pixologic's ZBrush 3D graphics application. It gives two system activations (although from reading this thread people here may have a higher number of personal systems, so maybe double that for Fathom?), so people can have a work computer and a work laptop, or a personal computer and a personal laptop, depending on how they are using it.
It is web based activation to activate it on a system, and I suspect it dials home every month or two when being used, but my home and work's internet is pretty reliable so I'm only guesing here. If a system/hardware dies it gives an option from their web interface to deactivate that license so it can be reactivated on a new system.
Yes, when a major new version is released their activation servers can take a hammering for a couple of days, but with all respect, their customer base it likely to be a magnitude higher than Fathom is at the moment. But then we are all here to help Fathom help us make better sounds, and at the same time attract more paying customers, so fingers crossed it will have many, many more users soon.
For me "mountain climber" influenced me to buy that pack, but was also an influencing factor in buying a new MIDI keyboard with a mod wheel (damnit, a £12 (at the time) VSTi helps make me buy a £260 keyboard. How does that make sense? lol).
I hopr that gives a perspective from a budget hobbiest veiw, but I'm sure you will hear lots of different perspectives over the coming weeks.
Best Regards.

The max machines per user will probably be a default of 8.

A hacker attempting to distribute by requesting licenses for multiple machines using one email would be a lot more than 8 so that would be a safe number for the server being able to detect a hack and it also being high enough so that a normal user would never need that many.

That sounds very, very reasonable. So long as it allows a sensible, friendly way to deactivate machines (maybe 1-2 allowed deactivation per quater?) that have died, it would allow for hardware changes, users moving between different studios for jobs (I'm guessing on that one, my "studio" is a shoebox bedroom), hardware upgrades etc.
Even someone with flakey hardware, eg. a dieing network card reporting different MAC addresses, it would give them a reasonable chance to fix system issues in a fair time, but would not allow for mass distribution of Fathom to non-purchasers.

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 pmFor instance if I am on vacation in Bora Bora...
How lucky you are...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

sbmongoose wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 pm That sounds very, very reasonable. So long as it allows a sensible, friendly way to deactivate machines (maybe 1-2 allowed deactivation per quater?) that have died, it would allow for hardware changes, users moving between different studios for jobs (I'm guessing on that one, my "studio" is a shoebox bedroom), hardware upgrades etc.
Even someone with flakey hardware, eg. a dieing network card reporting different MAC addresses, it would give them a reasonable chance to fix system issues in a fair time, but would not allow for mass distribution of Fathom to non-purchasers.
If I recall correctly it seems that it is that way AAS (Applied Acoustics Systems) does. And it is very smart and very safe for the company as for the regular customers (whose I am for many of their products).

AAS gives you the ability generate 2 authorizations every 90 days which is extremely flexible.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

I haven’t posted for a while. I’m glad to see the piracy issue has been...well, I wouldn’t say resolved is the right word, but at least I’m glad that it hasn’t stopped development and I hope the new licensing system is enough to deter them.

I’m happy to be part of the beta test team if you still need people. I use win 10 with reaper and renoise.

Return to “Instruments”