Decent bundle of Effects, not expensive.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

roman.i wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:19 pm Hello,

I'm searching for a decent quality effects bundle for FL studio (Mac),
for home mixing and sound design, for electronic music.
(I don't like the sound of built in plugins in FL).
I was looking at Waves bundles and Voxengo.
Is there any other affordable good quality bundles.
I have around $150 to spend on this.

Thanks

The two best bundles 'on the market' at this price point are:

1: Toneboosters - Essentials and Bus Tools.
2: Melda - MFreeFXBundle.

That will set you back just a little less than $150.

With those two bundles you will have enough power at your disposal to do fully professional mixes (when you learn how to use them all).

The Toneboosters bundles are all you need really, and the interfaces are much easier to grasp than the Melda ones, but the Melda bundle is a nice compliment with not that many redundant tools.

For example, with Melda you get a nice Convolution plugin for all those IR reverbs, mics and there's even a 'Sound Design' section in there as well with included IRs.

The reverb in the toneboosters bundle is very under-rated, even though it is widely respected. It is a really superb reverb that is often overlooked probably because we are drowning in reverbs and it doesn't have a fancy interface. You can create very realistic spaces with this plugin. It's a real workhorse.

You are kind of missing out on fancy delays as well with these bundles, just keep that in mind, though the TB Module provides a basic and usable one that does the job. You can always compliment this area with the plethora of free VSTs available. I understand you don't want to waste time hunting around here, but I'm sure some others can recommend you the best of the free stuff around right now. Have a look at TAL for both excellent reverbs and delays. https://tal-software.com/products

And don't forget that if you have FLStudio you have the Fruity Convolver, which can be used as a reverb as well.

Personally I like the Image Line FX plugins and I even bought the Juice Pack to use outside of FLS.

As for the Toneboosters bundles, you get what is probably the easiest to use Track Compressor on the market, coupled with what is arguably the best Bus Compressor on the market - they are that good.

Also you get what is probably the easiest to use Track EQ on the market, coupled with what is arguably one of the best Dynamic EQs on the market.

The Gate is highly usable as well. It takes a while to learn but it's very powerful for a lot of stuff (not all Gates work on all program material).

The Barricade Limiter is something of an 'industry standard' and you probably won't need much more than that for a while.

And the ReelBus plugin will add a lot of colour and depth to things with its amazing 'emulations' of tape machines for things like subtle saturation on the mix bus. But don't overlook Ferox when you want some not so subtle saturation/distortion - that thing is an absolute beast, but it can also be very subtle as well when you learn how to dial it in.

Plus you get some great metering tools for working out your levels in the DAW. And many other great plugins on top that you will end up using too.

As for the Melda bundle, for me, it really shines in the Tools department. The analyser is really great and it includes a Sonogram (which once you get used to using you might end up using more than conventional analysis methods). It really paints a picture you can understand in a way that no other method does.

There are so many other useful tools in there that I won't bother going through them, but suffice it to say, you are pretty much covered on the fundamentals for mixing and sound design. Some tools you may not use that often, but many you will.

If you are doing sound design, you may want an easy way to capture stuff as you experiment. Melda has a sound recorder in there to help you out. But it's probably redundant for you as Edison can be used for the same purpose. But if you venture out from FLS, unless you have bought the Edison VST, you won't be able to use it outside of FL.

Also, I would say the Modulation plugins in the Melda bundle are quite excellent as well. For sound design, there isn't much you couldn't do Modulation wise with these. Amazing stuff.

Really, there may be some overlap between the Toneboosters and the Melda bundles, but they compliment each other far more than they detract.

Mixing and sound design is about so much more than just slapping on yet another reverb and whacking on yet another fancy delay. Those things are used a lot for sure, but they are the icing on the cake, not the cake itself!

I would avoid plugins by Tokyo Dawn or Klanghelm for the moment, not because they aren't excellent world class plugins (they are) - I own pretty much all of their plugins they have made in fact - but because they are not the easiest to use. I don't think anyone would argue with that.

The Toneboosters and Melda track Compressors have visual feedback and you can dial in what you want in seconds, ditto for their EQs (the Melda EQ is also exceptional). The others? Not so much.

Plus you will be getting much more bang for your buck with those two bundles. The Tokyo Dawn and Klanghelm stuff is very very fairly priced, but they can't compete with the sheer number of highly usable and broad range offerings I've outlined here. They are much smaller operations and this is not a criticism, of course.

Off the top of my head (and having a quick glance at my VST directory), you get something like a couple of dozen plugins with the Toneboosters bundle and a few dozen plugins with the Melda bundle.

That should keep you going for a while.

If you learn to use what is on offer there, you'll be much better placed to make more informed decisions later with regard to the other plugins you really need, not want.

You will end up saving money in the long run.

If all I had in my desert island studio was these bundles I'm recommending to you, I'd still be a very happy bunny. They're the first things I throw on a new machine when I build it (other people's machines, VM's, etc.).

I also own most of the other plugins that Toneboosters have done - the EQ and the Reverb are exceptionally good. And I own quite a few of the Melda multiband plugins as well on top. But my argument still stands.

For $150 I don't see how you could do better.

And both Jeroen (Toneboosters) and Vojtech (Melda) provide the best support 'in the industry'. They may take a couple of days to get back to you, but they will go as in-depth as needs be to sort out any problems you might have. They'll even help you out with stuff you are just experimenting with. They both have great passion for what they do.

Get the Toneboosters and the Melda bundles. You won't regret it.

roman.i wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:19 pm(I don't like the sound of built in plugins in FL)
None of them? If you let us know what it is that you don't like about each of the plugins you'd want to replace, then it will be easier to recommend replacements.

Just get Waves gold when it goes on sale super cheap. Hard to beat that when it is so cheap. Should be well under your budget, just be patient.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 am
roman.i wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:19 pm(I don't like the sound of built in plugins in FL)
None of them? If you let us know what it is that you don't like about each of the plugins you'd want to replace, then it will be easier to recommend replacements.

Wouldn't it be funny if this turned out to be a (more subtle than usual) troll by Edward? :lol:

I'm assuming the OP is a noob (as he states as much), so I can let him off with such a misguided and inaccurate perception of the image line FX.

But yeah, the FL plugins 'sound' as good as anything out there, pretty much.

The FL Convolver sounds as good as the IR you load in to it. There's not much that can go wrong really. The EQ is an EQ and doesn't have a 'sound'. The delays are exceptionally good, though one could argue the GUIs are too small (tooltip at the top left is your friend). Even the reverb is very good being based on the technology of Sonitus (iirc) as used by Cakewalk - it's basic but it 'sounds' great.

If this is Edward, he is getting more sophisticated in his methods, and we will have to become even more paranoid any time a noob who only registered in the last 2 days asks a seemingly innocent question with regard to 'fruity loops'.

:hyper:

Who's Edward? :?
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:03 am Who's Edward? :?
An unusually persistent troll who apparently really, really hates Image Line.

Ah ok cheers. Late to the party on that.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Well, I'm not Edward and I have nothing against FL Studio, I actually bought the producer edition few days ago. I'm not saying that FL's plugins are bad, but some of them have that Fruti'sh sound color that is easily distinguishable in the track, which usually associates with unproffesional track. So I thought just to replace them all with a pro bundle.
I already spent some money, on FL studio and Massive vst(bought used from one of the users here), and probably going to spend more on two soft synths. In case of soft synths it's pretty easy for me to find the right one I need, but in case of effects it's more complicated, because I'm not into professional mixing or mastering and not planning to do that. Most of the plugins will be used for sound design, but it's also nice to have some decent plugins for mixing.
Thanks for those explanations and recommendations above.

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:19 am Ah ok cheers. Late to the party on that.
Some things are worth to be skipped. :)

Look for the Plug And Mix VIP Bundle on sale in the future. http://www.plugandmix.com/products/b888-VIP-Bundle/ Really great mix and match plugins that are all effects based rather than engineering processing based like EQ's, Compressors & gates. I bought the bundle on sale a few years back for significantly less than the current $249 price.

My breakdown of the current FL Studio audio processors, starting with the best, would be:

Convolver: Excellent product - combining Edison and convolution is genius. One of the most powerful convolution reverbs you can find.

Waveshaper: An excellent plugin for complete sonic destruction. You can chain them up, run in parallel and EQ to get some good results. Check out my Patcher distortion set here: https://unaspectedstudios.com/Raze.htm

Delay3: A really nice delay plugin.

Vocoder: This and Vododex are excellent vocoders. Equally useful for sound design and mixing audio.

Stereo Shaper: An extremely useful plugin for processing audio.

Balance: Extremely useful plugin for gain staging.
Stereo Enhancer: Useful for Patcher work and gain staging.

Newtone: Reasonable pitch correction. Not bad.

Soft Clipper: Not bad. I never really used it.

Flanger: Tried it but wasn't impressed.
Chorus: Tried it but wasn't impressed.
Phaser: I rarely use phasers. I think I've only ever used for game sound design.
Flangus: I used it a few times when it first came out but haven't touched it in years.

^ I would seek an alternative to the modulation plugins.

Hardcore: Based on their previous distortion and modulation options, I chose to completely ignore this.

Reeverb 2: Not bad. Not great. I would recommend Breeze or Toneboosters' reverb plugin.

PEQ2: Works but has flaws. Optionally oversampled cookbook EQ. Does not report latency in HQ mode. I would recommend Toneboosters' latest EQ plugin.
Love Philter: Other than the clever play on words, it's another plugin with too many options to interest me. I'm guessing it still used the Cookbook EQs.

Blood Overdrive: Not impressed by most of the distortion options in FL Studio.
Fast Dist: Also not impressed.

^ I would look at Cytomic and Kuassa for distortion options.

Compressor: Nothing special. Has a brick wall built in. I only use for Patcher creations.
Multiband compressor: Can be useful if you turn off the compression and then use to turn your mixer into a multiband processor.
Maximus: A very powerful plugin that I never use because it became included with the Producer version only recently. From what I have seen, it provides a lot of control but that is also an issue for me - I like to use tools that I can set quickly and forget about when mixing. Also, I rarely use multiband effects. So it's not bad but doesn't interest me.
Limiter: An unremarkable limiter that n00bs seem to love driving their tracks into until they learn how to gain stage. Replace this with the free Limiter No6. https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/

Effector: I played with it but it's never made its way into a mix. It's got a ring modulation - which is nice.

Squeeze: Another plugin that didn't really impress. There are better lofi options.

I agree that a lot of the FL stuff is quite good. Especially since OP says himself that hes more interested in creative uses and sound design. The synths too, not just good but uniquely good. You could cover the vast majority of sound design tasks with sytrus harmless and harmor. Dont know their other synths all that well, but i remember thinking Sawer sounded pretty cool.

ATS wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:47 am Just get Waves gold when it goes on sale super cheap. Hard to beat that when it is so cheap.
Yeah... i guess i'd also do just this. Some solid plugins in there.

Unaspected wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:45 pm
Limiter: An unremarkable limiter that n00bs seem to love driving their tracks into until they learn how to gain stage. Replace this with the free Limiter No6. https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/

I'd also have a look at Unlimited by Sonic Anomaly. Very natural sounding, even if you push it a bit on the peaks;

https://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins

Confusing at first, but you can easily turn off the 5.1 channels by setting them to mixer channels you're not using in the Fruity Wrapper. 'processing' tab.

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 pm
Unaspected wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:45 pm

I'd also have a look at Unlimited by Sonic Anomaly. Very natural sounding, even if you push it a bit on the peaks;

https://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins

Confusing at first, but you can easily turn off the 5.1 channels by setting them to mixer channels you're not using in the Fruity Wrapper. 'processing' tab.
Looks good too. Even better than the dark skin for No6.

I'll have to check that out. Thank you. :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”