Waves Plugins worth $0?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just returned to producing music after a few years break. I'm building up a new studio and have started buying some waves plugins. I bought a few from their website on sale thinking I was getting a good deal only to find that days later the items "on sale" dropped in price another 50%. I then found out that these plugins were even cheaper on other sites like everyplugin.com. I then came across the fact that they charge 5% of the list price to transfer licenses. Years ago I sold my waves plugins and this wasn't a thing, so it was a surprise when I found this out.
At the moment I have the CLA-2A in the market place going for free if someone wants it. They just have to pay the transfer fee. I can't even give this thing a way. I feel for anyone who bought a waves plugin at even 50% the list price because their plugins seem to not even be worth the transfer fee they're asking for. I'm trying to think of anything else I've bought in my life that was worth $0 straight after I bought it.
I just thought I would start a thread and see how other people feel about Waves. Is it just me or has waves gone down the toilet and left me holding a turd?

I don't feel like adding to the negativity. So, i'll just say that i don't regret buying Waves H-Delay for $29 from Waves' site one bit. Bargain. But then, i'm not the impulse buy type who sells all his plugins half a year after i bought them anyway, so, i don't have a problem keeping if i'm not using it either. For $29 it hardly makes sense to sell it anyway.

Bottom line for me is that everyone can decide for themselves whether it's worth it or not. What you missed though: There's not much money to be made on the second hand market these days anyway. Either people low ball you, or/and they have enough money to buy the plugins full price new. So, i rather not buy plugins with the thought of selling them later in the first place. That's pretty pointless IMO.

That happens, but your attitude seems a bit odd... you must have bought the plugs to use them. You sound like you've bought them and now you're instantly trying to sell them... I don't get it. :?

I'll just add; I think I paid over $300 U.S each for the Waves SSL & the Waves API plugs a few years ago... they can be had much cheaper now, but I still like them and use them on every song to this day. I'm not panicking and trying to sell them because they're depreciating in value. :shrug:
Last edited by an-electric-heart on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Goods, IR, and services have many "prices", e.g.:
- value to you
- manufacturing/production costs/value
- brand value
- retail value
- re-selling value

It seems, that you talk above mainly of the last one in this list - in this sense your thread header "worth $ 0" is missleading.

For me the Waves plugins value depends mainly, on how useful those are in making/producing music (or soundscaping, or soundtrack, or whatever). I rather seldom sell plugins, Waves plugins even more seldomly.

Just delete it. Problem solved.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

And what was the problem?

Harry_HH wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:19 am Goods, IR, and services have many "prices", e.g.:
- value to you
- brand value
- retail value
- re-selling value

It seems, that you talk above mainly of the last one in this list - in this sense your thread header "worth $ 0" is missleading.

For me the Waves plugins value depends mainly, on how useful those are in making/producing music (or soundscaping, or soundtrack, or whatever). I rather seldom sell plugins, Waves plugins even more seldomly.
Funny you should bring up the point about "manufacturing/production costs/value"
I was on the fence about the current I.K group buy.
I wanted to know why I couldn't buy Amplitube for (worth $150), and get ARC (worth $100) as the bonus (there's a rule that you can't have the hardware products as the free products). Peter didn't reply when I asked, but then I clicked; Software isn't actually worth money. If they allowed hardware to be the free product under the rules, I could buy ARC... then choose seven more ARCs as my free product, and there's the problem, I'd actually be taking physical stock from the inventory, whereas software can be duplicated an infinite amount of times.

Waves often seem to have -70/80% "deals". Even at that price, IMO they're not worth the WUP and hassle.

Sounds like a good waves mockup band name :lol:

Thanks chk071 for that reply. You make a good point, and I guess I can't complain because they're plugins are cheap.
@ an-electric-heart I do intend to use the plugins but with the CLA-2A I made the wrong decision and probably won't use it. In my defense I'm giving it away to someone who will use it not trying to sell it. I have other software and plugins from other companies and I don't feel the same way about them value wise.
I appreciate the responses, maybe it is just me.

r1_000 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:59 am Thanks chk071 for that reply. You make a good point, and I guess I can't complain because they're plugins are cheap.
@ an-electric-heart I do intend to use the plugins but with the CLA-2A I made the wrong decision and probably won't use it. In my defense I'm giving it away to someone who will use it not trying to sell it. I have other software and plugins from other companies and I don't feel the same way about them value wise.
I appreciate the responses, maybe it is just me.
Sorry about the pile-on... that happens here. :hihi: But yeah, I think that's the thing; do research before you buy things, try demos and so on, wait for specials, look into how often things go on special. The market has changed over the last couple of years, Waves prices have crashed, and Plugin Alliance kind of followed the same model... now it's all moving towards a "leasing" plugins month by month model... hopefully that doesn't become the norm!

@Harry_HH I don't think there's really a problem. I really like the plugins I bought. I just thought it was funny I can't even give away a plugin from waves. Hence the title of the thread.

I have to admit, I left out the part of the story where waves let me exchange one of the plugins I thought was too expensive, for other plugins that were on sale at the time.

If there wasn't a transfer fee you'd be able to give it away no problem. Their whole purpose is to discourage second-hand sales. And if the vendor frequently runs firesale discounts like Waves it's often cheaper to wait and buy the plugin new than to pick up a second-hand licence.
Image Image Image Image

Harry_HH wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:19 am Goods, IR, and services have many "prices", e.g.:
- value to you
- brand value
- retail value
- re-selling value

I like this ^^. Too often people mistakenly equate some of those ‘values’ to each other. With regards to all plugins and especially Waves, my personal approach is to assume that it won’t have any monetary re-sale value. Now and again I might consider selling a plugin that I don’t use often and don’t go on sale for more than a few % or in sale at all. I have only sold one Waves bundle before and not because they were bad quality. I would suggest just hold on to the CLA-2A. Yes bet you will find a future use for it. Unless you have a hardware LA-2A sitting on your desk :)

well Waves is a kind of topic but lets also keep in mind that most of their plugins are pretty old and thse are often the ones for sale.

Return to “Effects”