CLA Mixhub 1-day deal

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah that’s actually another reason I don’t like it, I never have that many tracks but I do a lot of routing that makes the way it’s laid out really unpractical for me.

I just said it because it seems like a lot of CPU for what it does. Even if it does it 8 times. It’s not a glowing endorsement of the bx console either, there’s the price for one.. but it does something similar with less of a cpu hit. And it’s the more ‘authentically virtual ssl experience’ of course!!! ;)

I was personally amazed at how much easier it is to work with vs individual units. But hey, everyone is different one mans junk is another mans treasure :hihi:

I think I was wrong, it's not 8 channel strips unless you add 8 instances :dog: :x

Sorry about that.

I'll tell you what, I don't know if the version of Reason changed this or what, but it was FIDDLY when I was using it today. Weird thing, the meter kept getting stuck. I can't change the names of the tracks :bang: Phasing issues, tracks not being in order.

I need to send a report ticket, but they'll probably just say "reason isn't supported"

It didn't used to do this. Makes it a PITA as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe I'll install a demo version of Reaper and test it there first. Oh wait, maybe I'll just install Ableton Lite 10 and do it that way. Tomorrow though, I'm over it today with all the troubleshooting I've done :x

RE: CPU and instances
I like that if you turn off the individual modules they stop using their CPU, even the input module can be turned off. (every module in every instance has its own CPU load).
So in that regard there's an effort here to keep CPU under control. I think that the high CPU requirement is Waves attempt at giving us a new type of plugin designed to sound uncompromisingly good for the next decade since Waves plugins tend to stay in use long after they were made.

In 5 years nobody is going to care about the load on future more powerful CPUs but they'll appreciate the sound. I use Waves plugins now that when they came out people complained about the CPU load and it's not an issue anymore.

This is what I'm seeing:
Mixhub Lite
Loaded, nothing on: 2%
+input module: 12%
+dynamics module: 15%
+ eq module (all modules on): 24%

(your mileage will vary but the CPU ratio should be similar)
I'm also happy here that the dynamics module seems to be the lightest one, since that's the module I use the most on these strips. For me Mixhub Lite with only Dynamics is 7% load, which is about 1-2% lighter than Scheps Omni with all modules on. So even under these conditions I can say use a Mixhub package to process 4 vocal tracks if I want to finish them off with Bluey and apply the SSL gate.

And I haven't given up on trying to optimize my PC. This plugin is worth the trouble. I just got started playing with it and I'm already fascinated with how good it sounds and how well it works when it's not bringing my PC to its knees.

It does sound good. It's a great SSL option.

waste of bloody money

For shits and giggles I'm going back over some of my material and comparing that with Slate VMR. When you don't use something for a while you begin to forget how good something is. It's more of a pain to do it that way, but the EQ's are SO GOOD with Slate (especially the Neve) that I'm thinking that is a better option. So many niggles with mixhub.

With all the SSL emulations I've demoed, bought & sold, Slate was my least favorite. Not only my least favorite of the SSL's but also compared to their other modules. That said though I think their Neve is one of the best.

I currently still own bx_SSL E&G and CLAMixHub. I really love the bx but the CLA is my overall favorite. As far as the SSL sound and workflow flexibility of the channel Waves really got it right. Agree with jochicago over time the cpu thing won't be an issue but it will still sound great.

Slate’s VMR is still my favorite. I do like Waves’ approach and even IKM, but Slate trumps them in my book.

Return to “Effects”